Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Coilovers for GS300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 06:57 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Coilovers for GS300 AWD

Anyone know if/when they will come out with them? We're left in the dark when it comes to suspension mods.
Old 04-06-06, 01:29 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe JIC Magic posted a thread a few months back requesting for loaner cars for R&D. I called them and they said after they used a car for R&D they would market the product approx. 6 months after if there was no comparable.

SGT; you replied to the thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=JIC

I just called Yukio and he indicated that they still don't have anything for the AWD but the RWD will be released in about 1-2 months. You can't use a coilover setup spec'd for the RWD on an AWD because of the front suspension design, the rear is probably identical.

Last edited by nardeezy; 04-06-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 01:31 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I put Tanabe NF210s for the GS430 on my AWD and looks great!

The install was fairly easy with a good fit.I did the install by myself without prior suspention experience.I will post pics when I return home from FL.I did some other mods also last weekend.
I haven't seen any COs available or anything for that mater for the AWD.

Last edited by 4thone; 04-06-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 01:33 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4thone

The install was fairly easy with a good fit.I did the install by myself without prior suspention experience.I will post pics when I return home from FL.I did some other mods also last weekend.
Cool, how's your ride? It's good that you did it yourself and saved some money.
Old 04-06-06, 01:40 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nardeezy
Cool, how's your ride? It's good that you did it yourself and saved some money.

To tell you the truth I haven't driven it yet.I finished it sunday night then took off for Florida monday morning.She's just sitting in the garage lookin good!
Old 04-06-06, 01:46 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

The only thing I'm concerned about with springs is that shouldn't you also change the stock shocks? I'd rather go with coilovers because you don't have to worry about shocks.
Old 04-06-06, 03:30 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SGT
The only thing I'm concerned about with springs is that shouldn't you also change the stock shocks? I'd rather go with coilovers because you don't have to worry about shocks.
Due to the subtleness of the NF210 there really is no need to change out the stock shocks unless you wanted a more stiffer ride. I wouldn't see why you'd want to stiffen up the ride any more than what it is unless you plan on taking it to the track or if you're a huge performance enthusiast. The GS AWD is so underpowered that it's not going to give you that much benefit of stiffening up the susepnsion. It has a hard enough time punching itself through the corners with the power at hand compared to other cars in its class.

If you went with the DF210 I would recommend changing out to a shock that would be made for a shorter travel. The stock shocks combined with NF210's give you the best trade off for looks and ride comfort. IMOP, The best upgrade would be to get an electronically active air ride suspension kind of like the E55 AMG.

Last edited by nardeezy; 04-06-06 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 05:19 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Due to the subtleness of the NF210 there really is no need to change out the stock shocks unless you wanted a more stiffer ride. I wouldn't see why you'd want to stiffen up the ride any more than what it is unless you plan on taking it to the track or if you're a huge performance enthusiast. The GS AWD is so underpowered that it's not going to give you that much benefit of stiffening up the susepnsion. It has a hard enough time punching itself through the corners with the power at hand compared to other cars in its class.

If you went with the DF210 I would recommend changing out to a shock that would be made for a shorter travel. The stock shocks combined with NF210's give you the best trade off for looks and ride comfort. IMOP, The best upgrade would be to get an electronically active air ride suspension kind of like the E55 AMG.
Thanks for the advice. I just plan on lowering it solely for looks, but my only worry is the shocks. So if I get the NF210's for the GS430 and put them on my GS300 AWD, there wouldn't be any adverse effects to my shocks?
Old 04-06-06, 05:21 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4thone

I haven't seen any COs available or anything for that mater for the AWD.
Cool, I'd like to see some pics. Any reason why you chose springs for the GS430 rather than the GS300 RWD?

Last edited by SGT; 04-06-06 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 11:05 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock shocks combined with NF210's give you the best trade off for looks and ride comfort. IMOP, The best upgrade would be to get an electronically active air ride suspension kind of like the E55 AMG.
kinda confused about the active air ride suspension....is it like on the cars like mercedes and land rover that you can adjust the height of the car? ....i've seen something like that for the S class and others....but i dunno if that is the same...plus does it even lower the car that much?
Old 04-07-06, 06:52 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SGT
Cool, I'd like to see some pics. Any reason why you chose springs for the GS430 rather than the GS300 RWD?

I guess the springs are for both the GS300 and GS430 RWD.As soon as I get home I'll post pics,I think you will like what you see.
Old 04-07-06, 08:05 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SGT
Thanks for the advice. I just plan on lowering it solely for looks, but my only worry is the shocks. So if I get the NF210's for the GS430 and put them on my GS300 AWD, there wouldn't be any adverse effects to my shocks?
I am not sure about the long term effects. Keep in mind, the stock shocks were tuned with the stock springs. In theory, since the NF210 has a slightly shorter travel than the stock springs you should see the shock wear faster. However, this may not be the case for everyone depending on driving habits, and locations. E.g. if you're driving in the snow where the roads will be more harsh compared to Souhern California or Miami than your entire suspension will be getting worked more resulting in the shocks having to be replaced.
Old 04-07-06, 08:08 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

I am not sure about the long term effects. Keep in mind, the stock shocks were tuned with the stock springs. In theory, since the NF210 has a slightly shorter travel than the stock springs you should see the shock wear faster. However, this may not be the case for everyone depending on driving habits, and locations. E.g. if you're driving in the snow where the roads will be more harsh compared to Souhern California or Miami than your entire suspension will be getting worked more resulting in the shocks having to be replaced.
Would you happen to know of any aftermarket shocks which compliment the NF210's? I just want to play it safe and not have to worry about problems down the road.
Old 04-07-06, 08:10 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
kinda confused about the active air ride suspension....is it like on the cars like mercedes and land rover that you can adjust the height of the car? ....i've seen something like that for the S class and others....but i dunno if that is the same...plus does it even lower the car that much?
You're on the right track however, you can't just lower a stock E55 2" by the push of a button but you can lower it 2" without replacing suspension components. I know a guy who lowered his by re-programming the computer and he said the ride is okay.

In our case, for aftermarket active air ride or even an active suspension add on, I don't think anything exists for the GS yet. However, companies like Tanabe and Tein have an active suspension system available on the market. It's a really cool product when combined with the correct coilover setup!
Old 04-14-06, 08:19 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

So I got a response back from TEIN regarding the use of c/o's on the AWD:

Stephen,

We have not test fitted the coilover kit on a AWD GS300, so fitment is not guaranteed. The kit was developed on the 2WD, and information listed on our website is for the 2WD version. In some cases 2WD and AWD models will have different suspensions. In cases in which the suspension is of the same design, the ride height information and drop range will be different. If you are in the So. California area, please let us know as we may be interested in test fitting the vehicle. Or if you know of any other persons with the same 2006 AWD GS300 and are interested in TEIN suspension, please have them contact us.

So, the kit currently available for 06 GS300 may not fit, or ride height information may differ, and/or quality of ride/ performance cannot be determined.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
Sales

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com

I wonder if I should try using the TEIN c/o's or just go with the Tanabe NF210's. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Coilovers for GS300 AWD