Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Coilovers, or Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 12:35 AM
Aprazer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers, or Springs?

Do the coilovers give a ride that is closer to factory, or would the lowering springs?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-26-06, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

imho if you get the right coilovers, you can get very close to stock ride. springs a lot of times when paired with stock shocks, the ride seems stock but the rebounce is actually pretty bad
Old 04-26-06, 05:26 AM
Black Ten
Driver School Candidate

I want wheels badly and was about to go the spring route. After extensive research, I have determined coilovers are the best way to go. Apparently the springs are fine at first, but over time degrade noticibly. How fast and by how much, I do not know but this was the consensus. The coilovers are true to stock if not better and do not degrade nearly as much over time if at all. Unfortunately the recommended company (TEIN) that makes the coilovers are currently developing the CS (recommended for smooth/stock ride) model coilover for the 06 GS430. They have not released them for sale and do not have a projected release date. I would guess/hope they will have them by the end of the year. I will wait patiently until they become available. Also the coilovers are alot more $$ than the springs so I have time to save up... Hope this helps.....look in the brakes/suspension part of the forum for more info.
Old 04-26-06, 09:11 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Tein Coilovers ride great. I'm willing to take ppl on a ride if you come by... Hermosa Beach, CA... let me know... I know many a ppl that swapped out their tanabe springs to the SS coilovers... no complaints...
Old 04-26-06, 10:36 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Ten
I want wheels badly and was about to go the spring route. After extensive research, I have determined coilovers are the best way to go. Apparently the springs are fine at first, but over time degrade noticibly. How fast and by how much, I do not know but this was the consensus. The coilovers are true to stock if not better and do not degrade nearly as much over time if at all. Unfortunately the recommended company (TEIN) that makes the coilovers are currently developing the CS (recommended for smooth/stock ride) model coilover for the 06 GS430. They have not released them for sale and do not have a projected release date. I would guess/hope they will have them by the end of the year. I will wait patiently until they become available. Also the coilovers are alot more $$ than the springs so I have time to save up... Hope this helps.....look in the brakes/suspension part of the forum for more info.
Take a look at this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208481

Old 04-26-06, 12:43 PM
Budd28
Rookie

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
My Tein Coilovers ride great. I'm willing to take ppl on a ride if you come by... Hermosa Beach, CA... let me know... I know many a ppl that swapped out their tanabe springs to the SS coilovers... no complaints...
How much more of a drop can you get with the coilovers over the DF210's. I'm thinking about switching.
Old 04-26-06, 01:27 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Budd28
How much more of a drop can you get with the coilovers over the DF210's. I'm thinking about switching.
take a look at my car.. rear all the way down and the front has another.5-.75" to go till it hits bottom....

Old 04-26-06, 01:29 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Front

Rear (I recently put it all the way down...)

Old 04-26-06, 01:30 PM
Budd28
Rookie

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
take a look at my car.. rear all the way down and the front has another.5-.75" to go till it hits bottom....
So you think your boy over at the shop can do the cutting, since you say he's pretty good?
Old 04-26-06, 11:45 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

coilovers would be better in the long run...just waiting to see when HKS will release them for the 3GS.
Old 04-27-06, 09:17 AM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
coilovers would be better in the long run...just waiting to see when HKS will release them for the 3GS.
Why do you want to wait for the HKS? Are they a better product then the Tein?
Old 04-27-06, 10:07 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JKashat
Why do you want to wait for the HKS? Are they a better product then the Tein?
I heard that the HKS LS coilovers feel very smooth and like stock on the 2GS and my friend recommended that if they came out with one for the 3GS to get that. He used tein b4 and said that they felt more sporty like for tracking instead of normal driving.
Old 04-28-06, 11:31 AM
Black Ten
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
Yes Tein does have these coilovers for the 2006 GS430 under the SS (Super Street) model. After talking to Tein, they explained that these coilovers are for racing as they are much stiffer. For a stock ride, if not smoother, Tein suggests the CS model coilver. This is also the model most others in this forum have recommened. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the SS coilovers, but I don't want to stiffen the ride. Since the CS model coilovers are currently under development and have not been released, I suppose I'll have to wait patiently. Any other thought on SS vs. CS TEIN Coilovers?