Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

TEIN Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 09:51 PM
Black Ten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEIN Coilovers?

I noticed TEIN is now offering CST coilovers for the GS430. Anyone have experience with TEIN coilovers? How will my ride change from stock? Will the ride degrade over time with coilovers vs stock? Will coilovers affect my warranty? Ultimately I'd like to lower the car and get 20in rims, are TEIN CST coilovers the way to go if I don't want much more of a stiffer ride than stock? I have been avoiding going the spring route since most think coilovers are far superior. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Black Ten
Old 09-20-06, 09:50 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Ten
I noticed TEIN is now offering CST coilovers for the GS430. Anyone have experience with TEIN coilovers? How will my ride change from stock? Will the ride degrade over time with coilovers vs stock? Will coilovers affect my warranty? Ultimately I'd like to lower the car and get 20in rims, are TEIN CST coilovers the way to go if I don't want much more of a stiffer ride than stock? I have been avoiding going the spring route since most think coilovers are far superior. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Black Ten

Anyone have experience with TEIN coilovers?:

YES

How will my ride change from stock?

Depends on the setting you choose... At mid setting, the ride is a little harsher than stock, but at soft, the quality difference is negligible... It also all depends on what height you are looking to achieve. The lower you go, the less travel you allow the shocks, which in turn also roughens the ride a little....

Will the ride degrade over time with coilovers vs stock?

not from my knowledge... I had KW coilovers on my BMW for 7 years and I loved it to the end...

Will coilovers affect my warranty?
Yes, it will void your suspension warranty, and whatever else (depending on how big of an A$$ the service writer wants to be) they claim is affected from the upgraded suspension. There are certain service writers that just don't give a hoot though...

Ultimately I'd like to lower the car and get 20in rims, are TEIN CST coilovers the way to go if I don't want much more of a stiffer ride than stock?
You will not regret going with coilovers vs. springs. The ride is SOOO much more comfortable. You also get the oppurtunity to get the car at the height you wish and ride you desire... Springs don't give you that option. As to all the different coilovers, if comfort is your main concern, go with the Tein CS-T. HKS is releasing a Hipermax RS soon (maybe 1-2 months) and when I get those, I'll let you know... (I've had tanabe springs, Tein Superstreets, and now running CS-T's)

Hope this helps...

EDIT: Also, You can get the Tein EDFC and control the dampening (ride comfort) from the inside...
Old 01-16-07, 09:23 AM
wassabie
Driver School Candidate

How does the Tein EDFC affect the functionality of the "sport" suspension setting?
Old 01-16-07, 10:00 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

The EDFC allows you to change the damping settings electronically from within the cockpit. Other than that, it doesn't have any effect on the individual settings itself once you've set the damping at a certain level.

If you're asking how the EDFC controls the settings, it basically has 4 small electrically powered motors that attach to the top of the shocks which allows it to turn the shock damping adjuster.
Old 01-16-07, 10:22 PM
SIKOG_RYDR
Driver School Candidate

Well, I have the tein cs coilovers (version.2) and I love them. Been driving on them for about 2 months now (approx. 1100 miles). Yes, the ride is definitely different than stock but one that I like. With the coilovers, ive gotten rid of that "floaty mushy" feeling when driving on the freeway. I can change lanes at a high rate of speed with confidence and not worry about the "floaty feeling" that other cl'rs know what Im talking about. Taking turns and driving on cuvry roads is more enjoyable, giving you that sporty handling and ride. I have coilovers set on the lowest setting with the damping set about 8 clicks counter-clockwise on the soft setting. At this height, im almost tucking 19 inch lowenhart's ld5s with about half a finger gap.