Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Who has or has not had success with this TSB.
Success
31.25%
Failed
68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 10:44 PM
vandit23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just got the 5000 mile service done, and while in the dealership had them rid of the ticking/rattling from dash. Results are pretty wierd...In the past, when going over "smooth" bumps it is pretty quiet. However, when going over rougher bumps, the rattles and ticking are louder then ever...In a way they made it better by quieting the smoother bump rattles, but the rougher bumps are so loud it's more annoying...Furthermore, the rattles seem to be more centered around the front passenger's side...I guess it's back to the dealership when I get the time...Man, what a PITA!!! Hopefully they will work on it better...
Old 01-06-07, 02:34 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

have fun.
Let us know how it turns out.
It took me 4 times with the 4th time me standing over them saying felt this, cover that....
but now it's gone.. no more rattle. cross my fingers .... for now at least..
Old 01-07-07, 09:05 AM
Rookie0725
Driver School Candidate

I cannot tell you how happy I am to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem with my '06 GS300 RWD (not wishing bad luck on anyone of course).

It's amazing to me that I have had this same type problem with my '03 GS300 & my '99 Toyota Solara SLE V6. My mother-in-law just purchased an '07 ES350 and she has the same problem. It is the exact same noise. I will be taking my '06 into the dealer next week to have them fix the rattle/tick noise using the TSIB mentioned in this thread. It has been driving me crazy ... I bought the car with 10 miles and it started almost immediately. I've had the car for 5 months now (3100 miles) and it's time to get it in the shop and get this resolved. Thank you for all of the information provided in this thread. I will check back once I get it out of the shop and update everyone on success or failure.
Old 01-07-07, 09:19 AM
Rookie0725
Driver School Candidate

Default Pic of 2006 GS300 RWD

Just updated signature with pic ...
Attached Thumbnails Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise-dsc03173.jpg  
Old 01-07-07, 02:34 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

uh o. my ears are playing tricks on me. I hear something, very faint coming from the..........you guessed it.........the dash/windshield. Not the ticking before, but I do hear something small.
We'll see tomorrow. Oh well. At least it's only noticable with it being completely quiet in the car, which it never is......
It's not 100% fixed, but I can give it a 96% fixed rating...
I'm ok with that.
Old 01-08-07, 01:28 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

I just drove out to Phoenix for the game tonight and finally experienced a non stop squeeking noise almost the whole ride here...

Stopped by Lexus of Scottsdale and was told my back window has slipped out of position and is rubbing on the body of the car. He showed my how you can push on certain parts of the window to recreate the noise.

He told me this is a semi common problem and that the WHOLE window would need to be removed and replaced in order to fix the noise.

I feel good knowing what the noise is from but still have to drive home tomorrow
Old 01-08-07, 08:43 PM
vandit23
Driver

Update on my ticks/rattles...Just got my car back this evening from dealer. I am not sure if this issue has been addressed, but from the test drive with a tech he told me that sometimes the rattles can come from vibrations on the climate box. Here is what is on the invoice...

Cause: Servo Damp. Vib. on climate box
Correction: Removed servo to add insulation.

On the drive back home it seems the rattles/ticks are GONE!!!! ONLY some minor squeaking coming from the center vents is present when going over separators on the freeway. I confirmed this by applying pressure on the center vent assembly while going over these bumps, and it is QUIET...However, all this, we will have to see...But for now, I am a happy camper.

Just some raves about the this tech at Van Nuys Lexus...His name is Jeff Fox, and he is probably THE coolest and most knowledgeable tech on Lexi. We were BSing around while my service guy was writing up the orders, and he knows his stuff about these cars, inside and out...On the test drive, he was so honest and frank with me, and very attentive to my annoyance with the the rattles/ticks on these premium cars...BUT he did tell me that the 06's were just a nightmare to work on because of the MANY more rattles/ticks.
He did say that the 07's are like night and day when compared to the 06's...

ANyway, just wanted to introduce a possible solution to our rattles, and ticks, and to HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this dealer and request this tech. I know I will be....
Old 01-09-07, 01:09 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vandit23
sometimes the rattles can come from vibrations on the climate box. Here is what is on the invoice...

Anyone know where the climate box is located? Any pictures of the is box?
Thanks
Old 01-09-07, 05:42 PM
vandit23
Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
Anyone know where the climate box is located? Any pictures of the is box?
Thanks
I am not sure, but the tech that rode with me pointed to the right side of the car toward the passenger side. But the labor on the invoice was like 4 hours and the price was ~$450...OUCH...thank God it was covered under warranty...
Old 01-09-07, 10:11 PM
yogregb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on my ticks/rattles...Just got my car back this evening from dealer. I am not sure if this issue has been addressed, but from the test drive with a tech he told me that sometimes the rattles can come from vibrations on the climate box. Here is what is on the invoice...

On the drive back home it seems the rattles/ticks are GONE!!!! ONLY some minor squeaking coming from the center vents is present when going over separators on the freeway. I confirmed this by applying pressure on the center vent assembly while going over these bumps, and it is QUIET...However, all this, we will have to see...But for now, I am a happy camper.

Just some raves about the this tech at Van Nuys Lexus...His name is Jeff Fox, and he is probably THE coolest and most knowledgeable tech on Lexi. We were BSing around while my service guy was writing up the orders, and he knows his stuff about these cars, inside and out...On the test drive, he was so honest and frank with me, and very attentive to my annoyance with the the rattles/ticks on these premium cars...BUT he did tell me that the 06's were just a nightmare to work on because of the MANY more rattles/ticks.
He did say that the 07's are like night and day when compared to the 06's...

ANyway, just wanted to introduce a possible solution to our rattles, and ticks, and to HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this dealer and request this tech. I know I will be....
you have the same rattle at the center vents where it meets the top of the head unit that I have, see my thread, have any suggestions? thanks yogregb
Old 01-14-07, 12:41 PM
Rookie0725
Driver School Candidate

I still haven't had a chance to get my car into the dealership but I decided last weekend to see if I could pinpoint the ticking noise a little better. I popped the hood, removed the windshield wipers, and tried adjusting the plastic piece that runs across the bottom of the windshield. It had some movement in it anyway so I thought I would move it around a bit to see if I could get it to fit a little better. I drove the car right after and noticed that the noise had diminished quite a bit. I am going to try and put some felt tape in between that plastic piece and the windshield to see if that does the trick. If not, then it's definitely going to the dealer so they can take care of it. It's amazing to me that Lexus put out a $50,000 car that has this many rattles and noises.

I don't know if anyone has done the same but when I received my survey from Lexus I made sure to mention all of this in my response. I have not received any sort of follow-up from Lexus and don't really expect to ... I guess I'm wondering why I spent the time and effort filling out the survey to begin with.
Old 01-14-07, 09:01 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rookie0725
... I guess I'm wondering why I spent the time and effort filling out the survey to begin with.
weren't you entered into a drawing where you could possibly win $$$$?

I didn't fill it out, it was 6 pages long. I looked at it, then shredded it.
Old 01-15-07, 10:08 AM
vandit23
Driver

alright, I am coming to u live from the dealership, for yet, another rattle issue.
this weekend I went on a trip to SF and on the way there I noticed a prominent rattle coming from the center speaker/windshield region. I suppose the long trip over some rough roads jarred something loose and now is rattling. thank God I have the day off and can some to the dealership...
anyway, I also noticed that the dash edge, near the windshield, is not straight. there is a bulge near the center speaker, and the passemger side area is dipped a bit. it looks uneven, but am not sure if it's due to lexus working on the car or if it was like that from the factory. well, they're going to have look at it for me. hopefully, they will be able to finally quiet the darned car.
however, on the brighter side, the car worked extremely well on the trip. very comfortable and awesome on the hills of SF. the trip was done via car GPS only and I had no problems whatsoever. it was sort of scary relying on the GPS only, but it worked out great. I think everyone should try it. anyway, i'll post an update of today's exciting dealership trip.
Old 01-15-07, 11:49 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

I also noticed that the dash edge, near the windshield, is not straight. there is a bulge near the center speaker, and the passemger side area is dipped a bit. it looks uneven, but am not sure if it's due to lexus working on the car or if it was like that from the factory.
Yes,
My car does that too. There is a sensor in the middle and it rises up a little on either side. Is that what you see? If so, I do not know if mine was like that when I bought the car, but I think it was. Funny thing is if you push down on it sticks a little to the surface below it and a little noise when you lift up your finger. When I was in for the dreaded dash removal for the TSIB, I went and looked at a few cars on the show room floor. One was pouched like mine and another was not. The one that was had 5k miles. I wonder if the heat over the summer did it?? Anyway, I mentioned it to the tech if he thought the noises were coming from the dash material in contact with the material underneath. He said they would look when I bring it in on the 29th to get the new cowl. What you and I see is odd and it does not look right, but I’m not getting any noise from it.
Old 01-15-07, 06:03 PM
Rookie0725
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
weren't you entered into a drawing where you could possibly win $$$$?

I didn't fill it out, it was 6 pages long. I looked at it, then shredded it.
I don't know if I was entered into a drawing to win $$$ or not to be honest. I filled it out online so it wasn't too bad. I really thought that I would hear from someone at Lexus similarly to how I get responses to other surveys (for example - from hotels I stay at that I have bad experiences with). I just assumed that Lexus cared enough to send the survey that they might actually care what the responses are from their customers. Oh well. I will quit complaining.

Overall, I love my GS300. I just need to get it into the dealer to work on the rattle in the dash like many of the other members here are having to do.

I will post once I get it in the shop and I see what they can do for me. Take care.

Quick Reply: Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise