Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Who has or has not had success with this TSB.
Success
31.25%
Failed
68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07 | 03:21 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

The dash is held in place by pins/attachment clips and not bolted on. Those pins (five of them across the dash) slide into a notch. There is one close to the speaker. The other pins are the outside of the car under the cowl.

http://lexushelp.com/Ownership/Bulle...V/NV004-06.pdf
You can see it here in the repair procedure 1.

Last edited by GS2006; 01-29-07 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 01-29-07 | 04:07 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

link doesn't work buddy.
Old 01-29-07 | 06:03 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Thanks Jace, Fixed link
Old 02-01-07 | 07:57 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Got my car back in 1 day, and the fix was to place an insulation in the right area underneath the speaker only as the cause was missing insulation for some reason. My car seams to be so nice and quiet now that I am feeling like drifting into a nice dream while driving my baby. Yee haW!
Old 02-10-07 | 09:28 AM
Rookie0725
Driver School Candidate

I decided I was going to try something similar to what others are trying in an effort to fix the annoying "clicking" noises that I'm hearing from my dash (next to the windshield).

I took some strips of microfiber towels and stuffed in between the windshield and the dash ... so far it is working ... the noise is gone where I had the rattle. I have a couple of other places that I need to do the same thing to so that all of them are gone but I think this is working nonetheless.

I was trying to find any option other than taking to the dealer 5 or 6 times for them to either tell me they can't hear it or they just can't fix it. I also didn't want them tearing the dash apart to fix it.

It's still cold here in Oklahoma (in the teens and 20's) so it's a good time to try and get rid of all of them. I will keep you all posted on my success, but so far so good.
Old 02-10-07 | 10:53 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks Rookie0725 and for posting on my other thread. There are so many interior noise threads that it's hard to know where best to post.

My GS doesn't have much dash ticking and the latest fix from the dealer was for loud tapping along the lower part of the windshield. The problem was corrected by insulating the cowl.

I'll keep your solution in mind should I start hearing more ticking from the dash.
Old 02-12-07 | 08:10 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

There is an updated cowl for our cars. The service advisor could not find the new part number and told me that there isn't a such thing. I spoke with the service manager directly and he found the part number. It was on back order for about 3-4 weeks. A mobile tech came by today to install the new cowl. I've been driving it around town all morning long and it's quiet! The outside temp right now is 30F with snow on the way.
Old 02-12-07 | 08:14 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
There is an updated cowl for our cars. The service advisor could not find the new part number and told me that there isn't a such thing. I spoke with the service manager directly and he found the part number. It was on back order for about 3-4 weeks. A mobile tech came by today to install the new cowl. I've been driving it around town all morning long and it's quiet! The outside temp right now is 30F with snow on the way.
That's great news. Any chance you know the part number for the updated cowl?
Old 02-12-07 | 08:18 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGT
That's great news. Any chance you know the part number for the updated cowl?
Because it was done with a mobile tech, he needs to process the paper work once he gets back. Once he mails me the paper work, I'll see if the updated part number is on there. If it is, I'll post it here.
Old 02-12-07 | 09:10 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Because it was done with a mobile tech, he needs to process the paper work once he gets back. Once he mails me the paper work, I'll see if the updated part number is on there. If it is, I'll post it here.
If you car's VIN falls in range, show them the TSB and say I want my new cowl. I have the part number, but it is at home with the other four pages of invoice from the last trip. Waited four weeks for it to come in.
Old 02-12-07 | 12:44 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Somewhere in this thread is a link to TSB NV004-06 which provides the effective VIN range for replacing the cowl and other interior noise repairs. Per the TSB, the p/n for the new assembly is the same as the old p/n, which is 55708-30100. It's described as a "Lower Sub-assembly, Cowl Top Ventilator"

My GS was outside the effective VIN range, but the cowl tapping noise was fixed by the dealer insulating the cowl.

Last edited by DaveJ; 02-12-07 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-14-07 | 04:38 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Just got the paper work from the dealership. Yup, same part # as what DaveJ stated above. On the description: "Customer states ticking noise coming from cowl area. Technician verified noise and determined cowl trim was deformed causing noise to happen. Replace cowl trim panel to eliminate noise" Still a happy camper... NO NOISE!!!
Old 04-21-07 | 09:14 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

0 for 2 for me.
Old 04-22-07 | 12:16 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

just dropped my car off yesterday for a tapping sound coming from the driver side dash speaker. the service advisor told me that they were going to order new clips for that side and replace them. only happens when the weather is below 60 degree, suppose to get my car back tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 04-26-07 | 11:43 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

got my car back. the tech put in the notes that the ticking sound was coming from the upper windshield. to fix the problem, the took off some pins per TSB.

guess what. i still have the ticking and i swear its coming from the outside of the windshield. ill keep updating as i go along.

Quick Reply: Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise