Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Springs finally installed.. what a week.. also, DRLs ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 06:50 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Springs finally installed.. what a week.. also, DRLs ?

Well, finally got the springs (NF210s) off the garage floor and on the car. Ended up having my Lexus dealer install them. Charged 1hr labor per wheel + alignment but was well worth it.. Took the car in Monday morning 8am.. i was having my 15k service done as well so they said it will probably not be done till Tuesday and handed me the key to my new silver IS to drive.. Thats what I love about Lexus, you go in for anything an you're in another Lexus until the job is done and you don't even need to top off the tank

So Tuesday late afternoon rolls along with no call from Lexus, so i'm starting to worry something went wrong.. I get a call just after 5 and everything is done but the headlight sensor is throwing the light and they want to keep it another day to put their heads together to figure it out.. So i'm like, no problem (was enjoying the IS) , and I sent them links to the posts on CL about others that had the same problem and their resolutions..

Wednesday late afternoon rolls along and I get another call around 5 that they tried everything and the light is still on.. now i'm worried and thinking another 4hr labor to put the old springs back on Then he said they just ordered a new set of sensors that will be in Thursday and all the extra time and sensors will be covered under 'warranty'.. really loving Lexus at this point.. as if I didn't after they just replaced the entire tranny in my RX300 while i was over the mileage limit for drivetrain warranty..

Thursday late afternoon rolls along and i'm fearing the call that it's still not working.. i get a call at 5:30 and everything was fixed and ready to go They said i could pick it up this morning instead, so thats what i did..

And the results...

Before (with original 17s)

Before (with new 18s)

After.....

This is absolutly the best mod for this car.. its what this car 'should' come with stock.. looks 100% better and handles the twisties with much less body roll.. and literally no change in overall ride comfort, even on lousy Ohio roads. I'd like to see a rewrite of any magazine comparo of the GS with a set of these springs vs the BMW 530.. I think it would be a different story..

I also had them turn off the Daylight Running Lights (DRL), which they did without hesitation.. Now, all i need to do is find something to rewire the little light bulbs (LEDs in mine) to that's always on when the car is running, then we have the solution to better looking DRLs.. Any suggestions as to what to tap into? are there any fuse boxes under the hood? really don't need much power since they are LED bulbs.. just something that is only hot when the car is powered up.. Any suggestions appreciated..
Old 08-31-07, 07:47 PM
delirium
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good! As for the BMW comparison.. now imagine a BMW w/ performance suspension. I have a BMW w/ performance coilovers, swaybars, bushings, shock mounts, etc... now that thing handles amazingly!
Old 08-31-07, 07:49 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuch123

And the results...

After.....

DAMMIT!!! i dont know which springs to get!! NF210's or the DF210's??? i like the look of your car now but i want it just a little lower. Yours is an AWD so mine may sit a little lower anyway but?????? UUUHHGGG!!

P.S.-love the new wheels and the drop. HUGE improvement. props!
Old 08-31-07, 10:50 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

It looks great. Looks so much better. Hate that damn wheel gap. How much did everything cost? I would also like to get 18" stock rims...and basically do everything you did.

Last edited by bozer; 08-31-07 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-31-07, 10:56 PM
smalldog
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the NF210s sitting in my garage also. I'm going to try to install them myself.
Old 08-31-07, 11:57 PM
delirium
Rookie

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
DAMMIT!!! i dont know which springs to get!! NF210's or the DF210's??? i like the look of your car now but i want it just a little lower. Yours is an AWD so mine may sit a little lower anyway but?????? UUUHHGGG!!

P.S.-love the new wheels and the drop. HUGE improvement. props!
The best solution to your problem... height adjustable coilover set. I like to go this route for exactly this reason... plus if you decide its too low as time goes by you can raise it.
Old 09-01-07, 12:03 AM
jdmGS
Driver School Candidate

dramatic difference, i agree thats how it should came out from the factory
Old 09-01-07, 07:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks really good.. The NF's are the way to go.. COngrats
Old 09-01-07, 08:48 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

The drop and stance look perfect
Old 09-01-07, 10:57 AM
bb_ae86
Driver School Candidate

Looks great! Any chance you can snap a pic of the headlight leveler positions at the control arms? My AFS is still blinking.
Old 09-01-07, 07:42 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Looks nice. Not sure if it's the angle of the pictures, but is the rear noticeably lower than the front?
Old 09-02-07, 06:57 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

I live in Mason and could not get my dealer to disable the DRLs for me while I had my GS430 in for service a couple of days ago. I have been disabling DRLs on all of my new cars since they became mandatory and would like to get these taken care of too.

I assume we went to the same dealer unless you visited the one just across the river.
Old 09-02-07, 07:17 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

I'm an anti-mod kinda guy and must say that set-up looks good. It is what Lexus should have done off the assembly line.
Old 09-02-07, 08:54 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These pics take me back to my pre-drop days. The 3GS being Lexus sport-luxyry-sedan should be lower from the factory. Doesn't make a lick of sense for them to sell this car sitting like a 4x4.
Old 09-02-07, 05:33 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

^ nailed it right on the head with 4x4, at least in AWD. I was drooling over NF210 and 18" stocks combo since I got my 3GS last November. BUT everyday while going through Jersey swiss-cheese pothole roads, railroad tracks, non-stop road constructions, oh and that last winter where my GS350 outperformed our Highlander in the snow - I change my mind and think that I got the best of every world. This is my LPUV: luxury-performance-utility-vehicle

Quick Reply: Springs finally installed.. what a week.. also, DRLs ?