Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

springs and coil over help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 12:03 AM
AlterZgo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesca
I think he's trying to say that with coilovers, you could make a lot more mistakes than springs. Sure, coilovers let's you adjust everything, but what if that person doesn't know how and ends up messing up his alignment and etc. With springs just install and it should be fine, although if you're not happy with the springs then sucks for you
This may be true. There are a surprising number of people on these car forums nowadays that don't know how to change their own flat tire so I can see how some may think adjusting coilovers are difficult.

That said, assuming the person does know how to take a wheel off the car and turn the height adjustment collar to raise or lower the spring perch, once they have set the vehicle to their desired ride height, they would still have to take their car to have an alignment done. This is exactly the same as if they had lowering springs installed. I don't see how this is any different. You can't just have springs installed and call it a day because your alignment WILL be off even if you are only conservatively lowering your car 1".
Old 12-10-07, 01:18 AM
jayo
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I don't understand why this is a problem. It is actually an advantage coilovers have over aftermkt springs. With springs, you have one ride height. Some springs are not made to perfect tolerances so you may find that the car is not perfect or the drop is uneven - and there's no way to fix it. With coilovers, you can set the ride height to the exact millimeter so it actually allows you to fix uneven ride height, not cause it as you are indicating.

With respect to adjusting compression and rebound damping, why wouldn't you want the ability to control this? With good coilovers, you can dial in the exact balance you want between ride and handling.

i have coilovers myself i was just explaining what you would have to do with coilovers rather than just having springs.
Old 12-10-07, 10:18 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone using the TEIN CS or JIC -VIP coilovers with the AWD models?
Old 12-10-07, 05:32 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by illtech
I've heard Tein CS coilovers are the best..same ride...smooth. Don't do springs!
I concur.. I have them for now and they're great... I'm waiting for th HKS RS coming so I guess mine will be on the market soon!
Old 12-10-07, 06:24 PM
brianvan1
Rookie

Default thanks guys

thanks guys, i think im gonna stick with the tannabe springs, its cheaper and less hassle, anyone know where i can get these?
Old 12-11-07, 04:59 PM
brianvan1
Rookie

Default question

hey guys, if i go for tanabe df210 springs can i used my stock shock? or do i need an aftermarket shock?
Old 12-11-07, 09:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I feel you man . Its totally a pain in the rear. Stock shocks with aftermarket springs (designed to run with oem shocks) is the best for this type of vehicle in my opinion. ITS A FREAKN LEXUS GS. Its a big 3700 pound boulevard cruiser, not some track machine. In my opinion coilovers are for cars with alot more sporting intentions than a lexus GS. Man I would love to see some guy at a track day with a lexus gs. after you set up coilovers (which through trial and error takes for ever) you set it and forget it. I think springs with maybe adj shocks in the future would be a solid alternative with less hassle. PS with coilovers you do have to have the car corner balanced. If not you are playing yourself. Thats why for all the trouble and cost they should be ideal for track purposes. man the traction control in the car is so invasive you cant even drive the cars past 7/10ths
Old 12-11-07, 10:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by brianvan1
hey guys, if i go for tanabe df210 springs can i used my stock shock? or do i need an aftermarket shock?
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no aftermarket shock replacements for the 3GS at this time. The DF210's will work well with your OEM shock setup, even if you have AVS.
Old 12-12-07, 08:29 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I have been playing myself all these years with coilovers Anyone using coilovers on an AWD?
Old 12-12-07, 09:36 AM
wikidbwoy
Pole Position

I went with coilovers just because i change my wheels so often from 22's to 20's then back to the stock 18's. So i can adjust the height accordingly.

Another reason was i didnt want to go with lowering springs on the stock shocks and risk blowing out the shocks.

Then finally when im ready to either sell the car or if for some reason i need to take the car into the dealer i can just swap the suspension back to stock without the hassel of removing the lowering springs and then putting back in the oem springs.

But on the negative side the are a pain to adjust to the right height.
Old 12-12-07, 11:57 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wikidbwoy
I went with coilovers just because i change my wheels so often from 22's to 20's then back to the stock 18's. So i can adjust the height accordingly.

Another reason was i didnt want to go with lowering springs on the stock shocks and risk blowing out the shocks.

Then finally when im ready to either sell the car or if for some reason i need to take the car into the dealer i can just swap the suspension back to stock without the hassel of removing the lowering springs and then putting back in the oem springs.

But on the negative side the are a pain to adjust to the right height.
It was my understanding from Tanabe that the NF210's were highly unlikely to cause shock failure/damage in the otherwise stock GS 350. That is the point of buying quality springs from Tanabe.
Old 12-12-07, 12:39 PM
brianvan1
Rookie

Default thanks guys

thanks guys for all the helpful tips, guess i'll be getting my tanabe springs this weekend......
Old 12-18-07, 08:24 PM
illtech
Rookie

DF210's should also not cause shock failure as well correct?? The DF's sit about .5" lower than the NF's..That's why I'm going withthe DF's
Old 12-18-07, 09:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

No, but once you lower a car, the oem shock travel decreases and your shocks work a little harder to absorb the heavier spring rate and road imperfections.
Old 12-19-07, 11:55 AM
illtech
Rookie

ok nosexnolex just did his 06 awd with df's and put gr2 shocks and says this is the best setup w/no issues..I will look into gr2..shocks I guess to be safe!!