Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

springs and coil over help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 06:23 PM
brianvan1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs and coil over help

hey guys, i need help on springs and coilovers for my 07 GS 350. Im still debating on wether i should get coil over or springs, i currently have 19s rims on my car and i wanna drop it for a sportier looks at the same times i dont wanna lose the smoothness on the ride, please let me know whats a good brand and a good place to buy these.
Old 12-07-07, 08:48 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

From what I have heard and read... Tanabe DF210 or FD210 (I think thats what its called.) The DF210 drops it more then the FD210s. I have my DF210s coming in and my 20s being built for me now.

People say its like stock, but lowered.
Old 12-07-07, 09:46 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's only GF210, DF210, and NF210, no FD210 =]
Old 12-07-07, 11:13 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I mean NF210s. lol, I was lazy to look it up on the website.
Old 12-08-07, 10:29 AM
illtech
Rookie

I've heard Tein CS coilovers are the best..same ride...smooth. Don't do springs!

Last edited by illtech; 12-08-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 11:08 AM
brianvan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by illtech
I've heard Tein CS coilovers are the best..same ride...smooth. Don't do springs!
whats the model? where is a good place for me to buy these?
Old 12-08-07, 11:33 AM
jayo
Rookie

Originally Posted by brianvan1
whats the model? where is a good place for me to buy these?
i use to have tanabe springs the df210 they lowered my car 2 inches and it looked very good and sporty but now i have coilovers because i wanted to go lower and there also very good but the problem with coilovers is that you have to adjust a lot of things like ur dampening and ur rebound and ur shock and spring and when you have coilovers your drop isnt perfect all around some parts of ur car can be uneven
Old 12-08-07, 03:49 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Yup, plus basically everytime you adjust the coilovers up or down it makes the alignment out of place. Might be a little, might be a lot.
Old 12-08-07, 11:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

coilovers are made for the track and springs designed to work with oem shocks are for the street. Coilovers are a pain to get adjusted and tuned. You also should have the car corner balanced for maximum balance and symetry. to complex for a daily driven unless you do trrack days. I would be willing to bet that none of us are doing track days with a gs350. That would look a liitle funny.
Old 12-08-07, 11:16 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Not all adjustable coilovers are for track use only. Tein has the CS, which stands for comfort sport. JIC has VIP which are made for luxury cars. There are many other manufacturers as well, who make adjustable coilover suspensions designed for a comfortable ride and not track only use.

The benefit of coilovers far outweighs having just lowering springs.

You have the ability to adjust your ride height to exactly the stance you want without sacrificing the shock travel. Stock shocks are typically not made to be used with lowering springs.
Old 12-08-07, 11:50 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 808 GS
The benefit of coilovers far outweighs having just lowering springs.

You have the ability to adjust your ride height to exactly the stance you want without sacrificing the shock travel. Stock shocks are typically not made to be used with lowering springs.
Some of what you said is true, some not. When lowering either with coilovers or springs it will sacrifice shock travel. BUT the coilover's shocks are designed to handle it.

Yes, stock shocks are not designed for springs to lower the car a great amount. For example, the 2IS has the regular and sport version. With the sport version, it is lowered approximately .5" which is next to nothing but the shocks are the same.

Everyone is different, for me as long as it does not bottom out when I go over minor bumps then I am fine. I've been through all the lowering and so on with my civic already. I prefer a lowered look with a stock ride but you have to give a little to get a little.
Old 12-09-07, 12:09 AM
808 GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Some of what you said is true, some not. When lowering either with coilovers or springs it will sacrifice shock travel. BUT the coilover's shocks are designed to handle it.
Not if the coilovers have an adjustable body in addition to the adjustable spring perches. As with the Apex N1 Pros i've had on my old Integra and the Tein RE's which I currently have on my NSX. Both are lowered by adjusting the shock body. The piston travel have not been compromised and the springs have preload on them.

Yes, stock shocks are not designed for springs to lower the car a great amount. For example, the 2IS has the regular and sport version. With the sport version, it is lowered approximately .5" which is next to nothing but the shocks are the same.
True. What I meant to say without going into much detail is that, with an adjustable coilover, you have a setup designed to be adjusted within a great range without compromising the longevity or performance of the shock/spring.

If you just throw on a set of springs, that statement cannot always be true. Not all springs have the same rate and height. Therefore, the stock shock which was designed to ride at stock height, doesn't perform best when it's altered. You can't tell me that a stock shock with 2-3" lowering springs will last just as long or ride as good as a stock shock with stock springs.

Everyone is different, for me as long as it does not bottom out when I go over minor bumps then I am fine. I've been through all the lowering and so on with my civic already. I prefer a lowered look with a stock ride but you have to give a little to get a little.
And that is the reason why they make $250 lowering springs and $4500 coilover suspension. Not everyone wants the same thing or wants to spend as little or as much as others. Choice is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-09-07, 11:49 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Originally Posted by tightie
but the problem with coilovers is that you have to adjust a lot of things like ur dampening and ur rebound and ur shock and spring and when you have coilovers your drop isnt perfect all around some parts of ur car can be uneven
I don't understand why this is a problem. It is actually an advantage coilovers have over aftermkt springs. With springs, you have one ride height. Some springs are not made to perfect tolerances so you may find that the car is not perfect or the drop is uneven - and there's no way to fix it. With coilovers, you can set the ride height to the exact millimeter so it actually allows you to fix uneven ride height, not cause it as you are indicating.

With respect to adjusting compression and rebound damping, why wouldn't you want the ability to control this? With good coilovers, you can dial in the exact balance you want between ride and handling.
Old 12-09-07, 11:54 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he's trying to say that with coilovers, you could make a lot more mistakes than springs. Sure, coilovers let's you adjust everything, but what if that person doesn't know how and ends up messing up his alignment and etc. With springs just install and it should be fine, although if you're not happy with the springs then sucks for you
Old 12-09-07, 11:58 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
coilovers are made for the track and springs designed to work with oem shocks are for the street. Coilovers are a pain to get adjusted and tuned. You also should have the car corner balanced for maximum balance and symetry. to complex for a daily driven unless you do trrack days. I would be willing to bet that none of us are doing track days with a gs350. That would look a liitle funny.
Some coilovers are made for the track. Others, such as the Tein Comfort Sport series and HKS LS line are specifically made for the street and are too soft for track driving even on their firmest setting.

Adjusting a coilover set up can be easy or difficult. It depends on where the damping adjuster are and/or if you are able to hook up an electronic damping adjustment unit like an EDFC for the Tein.

With respect to corner weighting, that's not really necessary at all on a street car. In fact, why even bring corner weighting up when comparing a street coilover set up to a set of lowering springs? You wouldn't be able to corner weight a car w/ lowering springs so why would it be a negative that coilovers give you the option of adjusting corner weights?

I think most people buying coilovers for a non-track car are more interested in dialing in an exact ride height and ensuring that the drop is even left to right. They couldn't care less about corner weighting the vehicle.

Finally, while a coilover does need to be dialed in, once it's set, you don't ever have to adjust it. At least until the damping on your shocks start to feel a little loose, then you have the option of increasing the damping (something you aren't able to do once an aftermarket spring wears out your stock shocks).

Last edited by AlterZgo; 12-10-07 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: springs and coil over help