Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Wheels or Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 09:40 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Godfather
It's not a matter of "how the gap will look" because there will be a gap. The reason why you should do the suspension first, is that you can work the wheels around it.

For example, if you like your car slammed and get the lowest lowering springs out there, you'll want to work the correct wheel offset and tire size to minimize or avoid rubbing altogether. Getting the wheels and tires first and then dropping it and realizing that "crap, it rubs" you'll have to a) get a different suspension setup b) different tires or c) different wheels and/or tires.

ALWAYS do your suspension first.
I'm not sure I understand. Changing the wheel/tires is not such an easy thing. The wheels are a custom order directly from Modulare. I can't just decide I don't want them anymore (at least without a hefty fee). It would seem logical to get the most expensive parts (wheels/tires) and then work around them.

The Tanabe NF210 springs cost $270 or so and if for whatever reason, they didn't work (which according to most on the form, they should), then I can always swap those out for a much lower fee than replacing the wheels/tires.
Old 12-26-07, 09:44 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Again, I'm definitely a newbie (especially to wheels/tires/suspension). Hence my questions. However, it seems there are different opinions out there as to what to do first. Several of you, however, said that I should do both together, which may actually be the most logical now that I think about it.
Old 12-26-07, 10:46 AM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Do the wheels first,then drop it.
Old 12-26-07, 11:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I say drop it before adding the wheels. Nothing looks worse than a car running 4x4 on rims.
Old 12-26-07, 11:35 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rajtw
I'm not sure I understand. Changing the wheel/tires is not such an easy thing. The wheels are a custom order directly from Modulare. I can't just decide I don't want them anymore (at least without a hefty fee). It would seem logical to get the most expensive parts (wheels/tires) and then work around them.

The Tanabe NF210 springs cost $270 or so and if for whatever reason, they didn't work (which according to most on the form, they should), then I can always swap those out for a much lower fee than replacing the wheels/tires.
Well that's what I'm saying, do the drop first, that way you will know exactly what clearance you'll need. So the wheels are custom made, I'm sure the offset is such as it will not be any problem clearing the fenders. So let's say you're already dropped, and you got the wheels. Now you focus on the tires, and get the proper ones to fit... If you were to get wheels and tires first...and then drop it and realize that it rubs, then what? get new tires? Doing the drop first, then getting the tires to fit accordingly is easier and you dont have to do it twice.

But with the NF whatever it's called, Tanabe springs, you won't have problems rubbing, so get whatever you want
Old 12-27-07, 12:24 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rajtw

What a small world we have. My wheels that I am getting were just finished by Modulare the other day. Just waiting on TPMS holders and a tires, BUT I went ahead and dropped my car already. I am going to bring the car back lowered and test fit the wheels without tires with in the week to make sure everything works. I also am dropped on DF210s and it is the perfect drop! Right just above the stock wheel set up.

By the way, Modulare took measurements of my car and so on... I was told it can fit an 20x11 if I wanted in the rear BUT you have to keep in mind the offsets and so on. IF you are ordering a custom set of wheels then they will know what to do with the car. They do it for a living...
Old 12-27-07, 12:25 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

again if i didnt mention before...

im in for the drop before the wheels. feels really nice to sit lower rather then on stock height.
Old 12-27-07, 01:16 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had to do one first. Do the springs. Doing the wheels first makes the car look funny and too high. Like you're going offroading. Lowering a car with stock wheels alone makes the car look better and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. So if not both at the same time, I'd say springs first.
Old 12-27-07, 11:13 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again

I would definitely do the WHEELS FIRST. Who cares what the car looks like while you are getting everything put together in 2weeks? I have seen too many inexperienced wheel shoppers buy aggressive wheels and tires AFTER they have dropped a car on springs. What happened? they got serious tire cuts and rubbage in the rear and fender liner rubbage up front.

If you are set on a pricey set of wheels ie: Modulare, GET THEM FIRST. When you install the wheels you can then take a tape measure and measure your current wheel gap and choose a spring that best eliminates or minimize it. If you have coilovers, it doesnt really matter because you can fine tune your height.

I have owned several wheels in my time and I am not just speculating. I always do wheels first (if I dont have coilovers) and then buy springs a week later if springs are my choice or only option ie: (AWD models)

I am personally ordering my wheels today and I will decide when they are mounted on the car, if I am going to install the Tanabe DF or NF. Some wheels look better with an aggressive drop, some can pull of a mild drop.

Again, this is my "opinion"
Old 12-27-07, 11:30 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Thanks B. Diddy. Makes (logical) sense.
Old 12-27-07, 01:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The best thing to do at this point before you make it to the point of no return would be to do the research first. That means finding the best wheel/tire/style combination you want and how low of a drop you can go with. Sometimes if you buy the wheel first, you get stuck with something you really weren't happy with because the drop you chose was either too low or not enough. It's a reversible process sure, but it's just more time and money out of your pocket.
Old 12-27-07, 02:39 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
The best thing to do at this point before you make it to the point of no return would be to do the research first. That means finding the best wheel/tire/style combination you want and how low of a drop you can go with. Sometimes if you buy the wheel first, you get stuck with something you really weren't happy with because the drop you chose was either too low or not enough. It's a reversible process sure, but it's just more time and money out of your pocket.
Just remember if you are anything like me (lowest drop on springs; df210s) then get the springs and then wheels. In fact, when ordering a custom set of wheels and your shelling out big bucks for it, I would expect the company to measure the room I have to work with before they build it. My wheel guy told me not to worry about anything with my wheels even though I ordered them before, but then again he is a friend of mine.

Springs before the wheels. I hate fender gaps!!!
Old 12-27-07, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Again

I would definitely do the WHEELS FIRST. Who cares what the car looks like while you are getting everything put together in 2weeks? I have seen too many inexperienced wheel shoppers buy aggressive wheels and tires AFTER they have dropped a car on springs. What happened? they got serious tire cuts and rubbage in the rear and fender liner rubbage up front.

If you are set on a pricey set of wheels ie: Modulare, GET THEM FIRST. When you install the wheels you can then take a tape measure and measure your current wheel gap and choose a spring that best eliminates or minimize it. If you have coilovers, it doesnt really matter because you can fine tune your height.

I have owned several wheels in my time and I am not just speculating. I always do wheels first (if I dont have coilovers) and then buy springs a week later if springs are my choice or only option ie: (AWD models)

I am personally ordering my wheels today and I will decide when they are mounted on the car, if I am going to install the Tanabe DF or NF. Some wheels look better with an aggressive drop, some can pull of a mild drop.

Again, this is my "opinion"
that does not make much sense. when you drop the car, camber changes as well and that's actually a bigger factor in terms of clearance. a lot of aggressive wheels, they seem "stuck out" when you are at stock height. using a ruler won't give you any information how much you can drop the car because the wheels are still "outside" of the fender.

however, simply dropping the car the camber will dial in and the wheels will fit. i happen to have done that a lot of times as well so i know how it goes. and even if the springs are installed, no one is telling the OP to put on the wheels and just go out and run. put on the wheels, put the car back on the ground, drive out and see what happens. rubbing? take out the wheels and shave the fenders. simple as that.

the way i see it, for pro enthusiasts (i consider myself being one), before i order anything, i pretty much have a very good idea what i am facing already. i wouldn't even try to put on anything before i shave my fenders. for the OP, he orders the wheels somewhere else, so unless he specifies anything, i take it as a pretty normal setup. in which case, what's the difference? he put on the wheels, wow, big gap. put on the springs, either it's fine or scrape.

on the other hand, if he put on the springs first and then the wheels, it's the same thing. the wheels are used as soon as they are put on. no matter what putting on the wheels and then not dropping a car won't cut it at all (for 20s on 3gs). a lot of times? scare them to death as well coz' they "think" the wheels are out too much and can't drop the car

either way, this is my opinions. not going further into it
Old 12-28-07, 10:16 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Well that's what I'm saying, do the drop first, that way you will know exactly what clearance you'll need. So the wheels are custom made, I'm sure the offset is such as it will not be any problem clearing the fenders. So let's say you're already dropped, and you got the wheels. Now you focus on the tires, and get the proper ones to fit... If you were to get wheels and tires first...and then drop it and realize that it rubs, then what? get new tires? Doing the drop first, then getting the tires to fit accordingly is easier and you dont have to do it twice.

But with the NF whatever it's called, Tanabe springs, you won't have problems rubbing, so get whatever you want
This is exactly right.
Old 12-28-07, 11:18 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
What a small world we have. My wheels that I am getting were just finished by Modulare the other day. Just waiting on TPMS holders and a tires, BUT I went ahead and dropped my car already. I am going to bring the car back lowered and test fit the wheels without tires with in the week to make sure everything works. I also am dropped on DF210s and it is the perfect drop! Right just above the stock wheel set up.

By the way, Modulare took measurements of my car and so on... I was told it can fit an 20x11 if I wanted in the rear BUT you have to keep in mind the offsets and so on. IF you are ordering a custom set of wheels then they will know what to do with the car. They do it for a living...
I'd love to see pics with the DF210s and new Modulares. Question: Where did you order/get your TPMS holders?

Quick Reply: Wheels or Springs