Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Question about wheels and lowering for a AWD guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 11:13 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about wheels and lowering for a AWD guy

Few questions for you fine folks this afternoon...

I have an AWD 07 GS350. I plan on getting the 18" GS450 hybrid rims.

My question is this... Since I have an AWD version, is there anything I should worry about with these rims?

Also, if I were to lower the car (Something I want to do eventually when I can afford it), what would be the smartest/best way to do so? I hate that wheel gap so much it makes me want to eat babies.

Lastly, will the ride be worse as far as smoothness goes?

My plan is to get the rims.. let them sit in my basement until Spring. Then go to Lexus and have them remove those god awful break pads (and maybe fix my rattles if that doesnt go away when it gets warmer). Then once the low dust pads are on, have the tires put on with lowering springs (or whatever you use to lower an AWD GS).

Thank you and good day
Old 01-22-08, 03:18 PM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by bozer

My question is this... Since I have an AWD version, is there anything I should worry about with these rims?

Also, if I were to lower the car (Something I want to do eventually when I can afford it), what would be the smartest/best way to do so? I hate that wheel gap so much it makes me want to eat babies.

My plan is to get the rims.. let them sit in my basement until Spring. Then go to Lexus and have them remove those god awful break pads (and maybe fix my rattles if that doesnt go away when it gets warmer). Then once the low dust pads are on, have the tires put on with lowering springs (or whatever you use to lower an AWD GS).

Thank you and good day
Several people have put lower spring designed for RWD on AWD with no noticeable issues. 18" wheel will be a no problem. Like many others, I put 18" 5 spoke wheels bought off ebay as soon as I got the car and I am getting new pad when my car goes in for the 1st complimentary 5000mi oil change this Saturday. Then, I will wait till spring and I am going to install the Tein-H lowering spring. Tein-H is most concervative type with almost no increase in spring rate the ride will be virtually unaffected. Tannabe one is also similar with fraction of an inch more drop.
Old 01-23-08, 12:11 PM
Evel
Driver

Default Reply to Lowering a AWD GS

Originally Posted by bozer

Thank you and good day
I have a '06 GS300 AWD (Mercury/Black) with the 18" wheels pulled from the '06 GS430 (I call them the fan blade style) with the Dunlop run flat tires. I did so because I like them better than the boring standard wheels on the GS3's & I thought I'd reduce the fender gap, but I made a freshman mistake of forgetting the low profile tires will negate the gain in wheel size, so I did nothing to solve the wheel gaps. Using the 18" wheel cause no problems, with run flat tires, the ride will be a bit rougher; especially during winter months (if you live in colder regions of the US); until the hard rubber trends warm up & soften, which does not take long.

As for lowering spring kits for the AWD, none exist. Tein's "High Tech" and Tanabe's NF210 exsting for the RWD models & some owners of AWD have used them. I have yet to get any of those AWD owners who have used the springs to give a report on any problems experienced since installing the springs (1 to 2 years later). Neither Tein or Tanabe techs I've spoken with or traded e-mails with will recommend using their springs on AWD model. They claim they're looking for people with AWD models willing to use the cars for testing, but their based in central or southern California, where AWD owners will scarce to non-existent. So good luck to them on that.

I really want to lower my car, but I don't want to screw up anything or create handling or wear & tear on the remaining suspension parts by using springs made for the RWD model. If you receive any additional info on this topic, please let me know & I will do the same.
Old 01-23-08, 12:17 PM
Evel
Driver

Default Let Me Know How The Tein - High Tech Springs Work

Originally Posted by tjp74
Several people have put lower spring designed for RWD on AWD with no noticeable issues. 18" wheel will be a no problem. Like many others, I put 18" 5 spoke wheels bought off ebay as soon as I got the car and I am getting new pad when my car goes in for the 1st complimentary 5000mi oil change this Saturday. Then, I will wait till spring and I am going to install the Tein-H lowering spring. Tein-H is most concervative type with almost no increase in spring rate the ride will be virtually unaffected. Tannabe one is also similar with fraction of an inch more drop.
I responded to the originator of this string before seeing your comment. The guy at Carson Toyota (L-Tuned) is the person who introduced me to this Forum & told me other AWD owners were using the Tanabe NF210 springs.

So based on your info, the Tein springs will sit a fraction higher, but maintain the Lexus ride. Did you come across this info first hand (ride in another AWD equipped w/the springs) or info given by Tein?

At any rate, please keep me up to date on the installation of the springs & feedback on your satisfaction/dissatisfaction/issues/no-issues experienced with the springs. I will probably wait 'til early summer before making a go, no-go decision.
Old 01-24-08, 12:55 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evel
I have a '06 GS300 AWD (Mercury/Black) with the 18" wheels pulled from the '06 GS430 (I call them the fan blade style) with the Dunlop run flat tires. I did so because I like them better than the boring standard wheels on the GS3's & I thought I'd reduce the fender gap, but I made a freshman mistake of forgetting the low profile tires will negate the gain in wheel size, so I did nothing to solve the wheel gaps. Using the 18" wheel cause no problems, with run flat tires, the ride will be a bit rougher; especially during winter months (if you live in colder regions of the US); until the hard rubber trends warm up & soften, which does not take long.

As for lowering spring kits for the AWD, none exist. Tein's "High Tech" and Tanabe's NF210 exsting for the RWD models & some owners of AWD have used them. I have yet to get any of those AWD owners who have used the springs to give a report on any problems experienced since installing the springs (1 to 2 years later). Neither Tein or Tanabe techs I've spoken with or traded e-mails with will recommend using their springs on AWD model. They claim they're looking for people with AWD models willing to use the cars for testing, but their based in central or southern California, where AWD owners will scarce to non-existent. So good luck to them on that.

I really want to lower my car, but I don't want to screw up anything or create handling or wear & tear on the remaining suspension parts by using springs made for the RWD model. If you receive any additional info on this topic, please let me know & I will do the same.
The main difference between the RWD and AWD suspension is the front suspension setup, the AWD version is designed to accomodate for front drive axles.

Also, I believe the factory struts/shocks for the AWD models are stiffer (more firm) than the RWD. The spring rates should be the same. If you notice, a stock RWD sits lower than a stock AWD, not sure what attributes to the difference in height, maybe the overall spring height.

Using any aftermarket manufactured coil spring (spec'd for the RWD) should be fine for the AWD. The main difference is the front suspension strut design. I have registered on the Toyota technical website and looked at the images of the RWD and AWD suspensions. If you perform a more thorough search (early 2006) you should find the images posted on another thread.