Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 04:21 PM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of getting the tanabe seven coilovers but i heard that the spring rate was kinda harsh. What do you guys think if i ordered the sevens and use the springs that came on the tanabe fives? would that be good?
Old 07-08-08, 06:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

when I called tanabe they seemed really willing to customize the spring rates for the buyers. so why not? I was actually thinking to have them do a custom set up for me with 8kg front and rear or stick with the 8 and 9 kg rates. You could theoretically go with a 7 kg spring front and rear and make yourself a tanabe pro5 with tein cs spring rates. BOOM you just saved 500 bucks.

In terms of the harsh spring rates I dont know how harsh 10 kg in front will be considering that the smaller IS350 will use a 10kg spring in the front and 7kg rear for the tanabe pro 5 set up. The spring rate will mostly set the ride height and amount of body roll the shocks are what are going to control more of the ride quality and speed of the weight transfer through the corners. I do understand that the higher the spring rates the more vibration will be carried into the car and ofcourse they do play a part in ride quality as well, but the shocks are still the main player. you can counter some of the spring harshness with a slightly softer shock setting. so you get a good ride while cruising and a flatter handling car around the corners. with a softer spring and a stiffer shock the car will handle well, but will roll more on sharper lower speed turns. always a freakn compromise. With my G35 I was very pleased with the handling, but still had some roll on the really sharp corners. I guess the problem with tuning is that you are always " chasing the dragon" so to speak. You keep tuning and tuning until the car is a race car and very uncomfortable.

I have spoken to a few members with the JIC magic VIP coilovers for our car and they say the ride quality is great and they are running spring rates of 13kg in the front. They counter this with a softer shock setting. Thats almost double the rates of the tein cs and they al seem very happy and actually recommend them highly. the pro 5 spring rates are actually kind of intermediate or even on the lower side relative the coilover set ups that are available for the 3gs

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-08-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 06:35 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to burst you guys bubble...but the rear can't be swapped out due to the tappering. it would need to custom order it, but will be expensive. other thing is that the change in spring will increase the price by 300 or so. it's not free. I know because I know the manager at tanabe. if another spring is already the same length and od/id then maybe they can sell that but it'll be special order.

if spring rate is an issue get the tien cs and u can still increase the dampening and be fine.
Old 07-08-08, 06:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably stick with the 8and 9kg springs. how do you like the ride with the pro5 on the gs300, and how long have you had them?
Old 07-08-08, 08:36 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ran the suspension at 1 click below medium and it's fairly smooth. I haven't had time to readjust the rear yet...hate trying to get behind the panels. I think the rear is set at medium also..but it's a little stiff. i'll be adjusting it down a bit. probably 2 clicks down to soften it up.
Old 07-09-08, 10:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I was thinking to run 5 from full soft front and 4 from full soft in the rear. Sounds like we are thinking of pretty much the same set up. Thanks for the input. I keep hearing that the GS is a pain in the *** to get to the rear shocks from the trunk so I am leaning towards the TEAS. I am thinking to mount it in the center console or glove. Maybe even the ash tray. I would prefer it to be totally out of sight. I want to retain the clean look to the interior
Old 07-21-08, 12:42 PM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXprfrmnce
Ok, not really cleaned up much but wanted to get something up today...
well, it's been a couple of weeks - how's the ride? anything you would change?
Old 07-21-08, 07:39 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Guy, I actually have a kit brand new in the box for sale.

Got them awhile ago, got too lazy and decided not to intall them!

The kit including the followings:
-Tanabe Sustec Pro Five for GS350/GS430 maybe GS460 as well.
-TEAS

If anyone is interested, I am selling the kit for $1,500 plus shipping; or PM me with your offer.

Thank you all,

Steve

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-21-08 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 08:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I got a quote for 1460 dollars from superstition lexus in AZ and they will cover shipping. I think you might have to come down a tad and maybe offer shipping
Old 07-23-08, 05:14 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I got a quote for 1460 dollars from superstition lexus in AZ and they will cover shipping. I think you might have to come down a tad and maybe offer shipping
To make this less painful for myself, let's make this short and sweet!!!

Along with the Tanabe Sustec Pro Five and TEAS (fits GS350/430/460), now I will including K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake Systems that fits GS350.

ALL THIS FOR $1500.00.

Buyer will pay for the actual shipping charge for all three items.

Thank you all,

Steve
Old 07-23-08, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

damn thats a great deal. To bad I just bought the tein cs. I am sure you will be able to sell that package. call it a GS transformation package.
Old 07-29-08, 06:42 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Along with the Tanabe Sustec Pro Five and TEAS (fits GS350/430/460), now I will including K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake Systems that fits GS350.

NEW LOWER PRICE!!!
$1,400.00 plus shipping

Thank you all,

Steve