Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 12:02 PM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE

Has anyone installed these coilovers yet?
Any Reviews?

I got a 2006 GS300 and your rides inspired me to lower my car. I told myself no more modding cars.. but I cant help it.

Im thinking of lowering it on Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE and would love your feedback/opinions/other options...

And can you guys tell me how camber will be like aft er the drop as well.

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-30-08, 12:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

yeah man I am trying to get more feedback on these as well. Ill let you know what I find
Old 07-01-08, 10:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

you can find some good info on the 2is forums. amember who had the tanabe and the tein cs says that the tanabe is smoother.
Old 07-02-08, 11:45 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

When I get home from NYC I will return to my GS dropped on the Sustec Pro Fives - - I will provide some feedback.

I8ABMR, I know I owe you a reply so I will get you one way or another...
Old 07-03-08, 11:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thats really cool of you. Thanks man
Old 07-04-08, 09:32 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

OK, I have returned and my car is lowered on the Sustec Pro Fives and I have to say I am very satisfied. I would say there is a 10% degregation or so. I am currently lowered about 1.5" and it is set on "Medium" ride quality. The handling is actually a lot better, way more than the ride quality degregation. The fact that it is a coilover and I have the flexibility to adjust (pretty simply) is worth the costs.

This is my perspective after driving my first Lexus for about 1 year. I have never had a car lowered before this. One of my only gripes about the GS is the handling and I think I am on the path to being very happy now.

Any specific questions let me know, that is my general feedback for now. Pics hopefully tomorrow.
Old 07-04-08, 09:44 PM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wanting to call you and see if you got your GS back. Bring on the pictures - can't wait to see how she looks!
Old 07-04-08, 11:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

right on man . Thanks for the input.
Old 07-05-08, 04:50 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Ok, not really cleaned up much but wanted to get something up today...
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE-gs350drop1smaller.jpg  
Old 07-05-08, 06:00 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TXprfrmnce, that's a super clean drop you got there on some sweet wheels!

Make me really want to upgrade to some coils...
Old 07-06-08, 10:53 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

wow - looks like you dialed in a great package with the wheels and the drop. Can't wait to hear how it sounds with the new exhaust.
Old 07-06-08, 07:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the car looks amazing man. I love the wheels and the drop is perfect. Now all you have to do is try to get the shocks set exactly to your liking and its a done deal. Great job man and thanks for the input. I am going to order my pro 5 coilovers tommorrow moring and will have them installed next week. how do you like the intake?
Old 07-07-08, 12:48 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well here is my full review and also my fender mods to boot.

I originally bought the suspension about a month ago and had them installed roughly around that time as well.

The Specs:
Falken FK451’s (I think that’s the # on the model)
245/35/20 & 275/30/20
20x9, 20x10 35 offset front and back

Install the Tanabe suspension (Sustec Pro Five)

More Specs
Originally dropped 1.5” front and 1.5” rear. Front rubbed, and so did rear. Had a shop do minor modification to cut the trims and push up the fender liners (heat gun)

Was fine as long as I didn’t have anybody else in the car. When loaded was a little rubbing. So I pulled out all my tools and went to town on the bumper support bracket and trimmed about ¾” off the metal bracket to give slack due to my oversized tires (1” larger in diameter or ½” closer to the fender). I then took a blow dryer(don’t have a heat gun) and pushed up the fender liners some more and was successful at eliminating the rubbing even after I dropped the car down to 2” front and loaded the car up.

Ride was set to medium and rode fine to me. Due to the additional drop I adjusted 1 more click above medium and it’s starting to feel stiff (30% increase in ride stiffness with seat of the pants measuring). Bumps and road connections can be felt, and it’s a little harsh over rough roads. I’m going to dial down 2-3 and give it another review in the next day or so, but due to the 100 degree weather I had in So Cali my fender liners came back down and it’s rubbing again (don’t use a blow dryer, it’s not hot enough to reshape the plastic permanently). Going to need to cut the areas effected, and look into buying 2 new front fender liners, and reshape them with a heat gun.

I did a little testing of the suspension before it settled at full high and full lower prior to the 2” drop and my impressions are as follows.

Full low dampening – feels like a boat. Feel very cushy and floaty. Doesn’t feel like it hold the ground very well, and need some additional dampening to make it reasonable. At least I know I have that kind of setting

Full high dampening – feel harsh and very firm. Didn’t get much ride time over So Cali’s best freeways (our concrete crap) so I didn’t get a review on the rough roads. I’ll play with the suspension a little more.

I highly suggest people to pay get the TEAS, as it is a real pain to get to the rear adjustment **** behind the trunk covers, and in the front it requires removing the engine bay covers just for minor adjustment. This is not just for the Tanabe, but for all suspensions for the 3GS unless it’s bottom adjustment which would be more of a pain.

Info on the install if you are doing it yourself.
Get the repair manual unless you are going to remove a control arm. It’s not easy to wedge the coilovers in there without a little muscle.
Old 07-07-08, 03:59 PM
Superbock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great info. Good luck with getting the rest sorted out. Let evryone know how you made out.
Old 07-07-08, 07:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the input . I will just get the TEAS then. I like to play with the settings for at least a week or two before I find the right setting. Even then its still nice to be able to fine tune on the fly.I just dont know where to mount the TEAS. If it fit into the ash tray I could mount it there . If not I can just mount it in the glove compartment to keep it concealed . Glove compartment is going to limit adjustment behind the wheel

Quick Reply: Tanabe Sustec Pro FIVE