Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Try to lower my GS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 07:55 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Try to lower my GS350 AWD

Hey guys, I am trying to lower my GS350 AWD because the front sits a bit too hight I think, I am just wondering if that is doable, and if anyone out there can give me some suggestions, I do not want some extreme drop I want something that is just about right. I was looking online and seems like both Tanabe and TTE both have something that I am looking for. Please give me some idea guys.....thanks advance for the replies.....

KY
Old 02-11-08, 09:56 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gotta search the forum; a few AWD were lowered with Tanabe NF210 springs which should keep your ride softness close to stock and drop your car about an inch. But those are not for AWD but rather for RWD; and there were a few reports about AWD w/NF210 vibrations at cold or at stop. I believe Tanabe is working on a new set of AWD springs. I hope they will have it out soon. TTE will be more pricey, and those are actually rebadged Eibach springs (same 30mm drop). If you can get it installed by a dealer and they would recognize it as "official Toyota part" without voiding your warranty, than it worth spending exta $100-$150 for it. Good luck!
Old 02-11-08, 07:14 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

man, no love for AWD??

I NEED SUSPENSION!!

looking for something like tein cs-t

my car feels like a freaking boat..
Old 02-12-08, 08:52 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Here is my friends '07 GS350 AWD.

Tanabe springs/20" Work VSXX
Attached Thumbnails Try to lower my GS350 AWD-sidegs.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnD; 02-12-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 08:53 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Same car from the GReddy exhaust thread.
Attached Thumbnails Try to lower my GS350 AWD-reargs.jpg  
Old 02-12-08, 08:55 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Side view of the cans.
Attached Thumbnails Try to lower my GS350 AWD-exhaustgs.jpg  
Old 02-12-08, 08:57 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stvincent
man, no love for AWD??

I NEED SUSPENSION!!

looking for something like tein cs-t

my car feels like a freaking boat..
Funny thing is we just drove cross country in his FROM Maryland back to Orange Cnty. Drove it back lowered on GS430 18's. It rode fine, but there was a slight vibration on acceleration.

He said it has gotten worse since putting the 20's on it.
Old 02-12-08, 08:51 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Funny thing is we just drove cross country in his FROM Maryland back to Orange Cnty. Drove it back lowered on GS430 18's. It rode fine, but there was a slight vibration on acceleration.

He said it has gotten worse since putting the 20's on it.

ur friend's AWD looks great..
yeah, i searched and vibration seems like the issue for awd with rwd tanabe springs.
thx for sharing.
Old 02-13-08, 09:58 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, this dropped AWD is definitely an eye candy, especially in comparison to stock AWD springs But, how practical is this drop? This car wouldn't have a chance surviving even a quarter of my everyday Jersey pothole-railroad/crossing-up/down/hill filled commute That is why I'm hoping that at least with AWD-proven new Tanabe springs and stock 17" I will have a chance to look back at my car and don't see 4x4
Old 02-14-08, 10:17 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Yes, this dropped AWD is definitely an eye candy, especially in comparison to stock AWD springs But, how practical is this drop? This car wouldn't have a chance surviving even a quarter of my everyday Jersey pothole-railroad/crossing-up/down/hill filled commute That is why I'm hoping that at least with AWD-proven new Tanabe springs and stock 17" I will have a chance to look back at my car and don't see 4x4
It's not our fault the roads in NJ suck.
Old 02-14-08, 10:27 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvincent
ur friend's AWD looks great..
yeah, i searched and vibration seems like the issue for awd with rwd tanabe springs.
thx for sharing.
How about dropping the car and retaining stock wheels? it seems that most people here drop the cars and swap to bigger wheels/tires at once, which always ends up with them chasing their tails to find the root cause of the vibration.

Im waiting on my 19" Wheels to come in to install them on my car. once I drive a few weeks with them, i will decide what springs I am installing on my AWD.
Old 02-14-08, 10:52 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
How about dropping the car and retaining stock wheels? it seems that most people here drop the cars and swap to bigger wheels/tires at once, which always ends up with them chasing their tails to find the root cause of the vibration.

Im waiting on my 19" Wheels to come in to install them on my car. once I drive a few weeks with them, i will decide what springs I am installing on my AWD.
Hey B.Diddy,

Did you go with a staggered set up on your 19's for your GS?
Old 02-14-08, 11:00 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Yes I did...

I ordered the TOM's VP-S wheels 19x8.5, 18x9.5 with Tom's mounting hardware.

I am going with Falken FK452 245/45R19 and 275/40R19 (BMW 745Li sizes) Those tire sizes keep the rolling diameters within .06 inches of eachother so it shouldnt matter much.

I think the car is big enough to pull off a fatter tire and I rather preserve the ride quality and limit the chance of wheel bending with thinner tires since the wife will be driving this car just as much as I am.

Im planning to daily drive this once the weather breaks and give my wife the GS completely.
Old 02-14-08, 11:48 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Yes I did...

I ordered the TOM's VP-S wheels 19x8.5, 18x9.5 with Tom's mounting hardware.

I am going with Falken FK452 245/45R19 and 275/40R19 (BMW 745Li sizes) Those tire sizes keep the rolling diameters within .06 inches of eachother so it shouldnt matter much.

I think the car is big enough to pull off a fatter tire and I rather preserve the ride quality and limit the chance of wheel bending with thinner tires since the wife will be driving this car just as much as I am.

Im planning to daily drive this once the weather breaks and give my wife the GS completely.

Thanks for the info, I am debating the staggered issue on my 08 AWD, but same thing, my wife drives it as much as I do.

BTW, that is a sick SUPRA, noticed from your sig that is is a Twin Turbo.

Now that is my kind of car, shame, though, my daily driver is the DC metro! Let the blow of valve ring for both of us!
Old 02-14-08, 02:05 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Do an Internet search for tire size calculator.

This way you can get an idea of what the outer rolling diameters of the tires are. Some websites like TireRack if you go into tire detail and select SPECS and SIZES they show outer diameter numbers.

for staggered widths, you want to keep the outer diameter numbers as close as possible with maybe 1/5 to 1/8th of an inch difference at most.

If you use that method, you should be able to stagger you wheels and not have any issue.

Once I install the new tires and wheels I will see how low i want to take the car. Maybe Tanabe NF or maybe DF's

Quick Reply: Try to lower my GS350 AWD