Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

diff between springs and coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 08:03 PM
Bdiepp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff between springs and coilovers

hey guys,

noob here, but i wanted to ask if i should get springs or coil over for my gs? And what is the difference? i heard if i just get springs something would blow.
Old 03-04-08, 08:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

springs are just springs, you stay with stock shocks. stock shocks are designed for stock springs, which are higher. with the lowering springs, you constantly contracts the shocks, meaning you put them under more stress than they are designed for. so the shocks will blow earlier than they are expected

coilovers are aftermarket springs/shocks system from companies. they are designed together as a package, so the shocks and springs are much better designed, in terms of spring rates and dampening. the rebounce and the ride of coilovers are usually better controlled than just springs

of course, they cost more. but imho they are well worth it. i had springs on my acura, but after getting my first set of coilovers on my gs400, i have had coilovers ever since (except my ls460l on air).
Old 03-04-08, 08:38 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

here is a quick crappy answer:

If you only replace the springs you will still be using your factory shocks, and since they were not designed for lowering springs they will have less piston travel and will be under a great deal more stress than usual, causing them to fail sooner. If you go with coilovers you would be replacing the entire shock/spring assembly, and since the shocks are designed to be used with the springs included with the coilovers you will get a better quality ride and the shocks will not be prone to premature failure....
Old 03-04-08, 09:24 PM
Bdiepp
Driver

ah ic. I've read that you can buy shocks separately from the springs. Do any of you know of a good shock system? preferably to go with the Tanabe NF210
Old 03-04-08, 09:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Id say do the springs and later install a set of tokico shocks. They will have them out sooner than later. I used a tanabe spring with a tokico adjustable shock on my G35 and it worked pretty nicely. It was cool to be able to adjust ride quality with the turn of a key. Benefit is you will not need to have the car corner balanced. Why anyone would want to adjust their ride height is beyod me. Its usually a set it and forget it kind of thing. We are not taking our GS to the track. A nice (mild) spring and aftermarket spring setup will work nicely as well
Old 03-04-08, 11:17 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

note that with advanced coilovers, you can adjust the height/dampening/rebound

that's the biggest difference IMO, you get the components specifically engineered for all these adjustments. But of course it is expensive

however like rominl said, with just spring upgrade, you wear out the shocks much faster, i am not sure with lexus, but there exist among other car manufacturers a CUP KIT that will replace your stock shocks and springs but not adjustable for those budget conscious modder.
Old 03-05-08, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Id say do the springs and later install a set of tokico shocks. They will have them out sooner than later. I used a tanabe spring with a tokico adjustable shock on my G35 and it worked pretty nicely. It was cool to be able to adjust ride quality with the turn of a key. Benefit is you will not need to have the car corner balanced. Why anyone would want to adjust their ride height is beyod me. Its usually a set it and forget it kind of thing. We are not taking our GS to the track. A nice (mild) spring and aftermarket spring setup will work nicely as well
not many people adjust their coilovers daily, you missed the point. the point about coilovers is you can adjust the height to EXACT preference. not to mention cars are not level left and right, when you lower your car more, if you just use springs, you will notice one side is higher than the other side.

there are no aftermarket shocks for this car at all yet
Old 03-05-08, 04:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Springs are great if you can deal with the uneven wheel gap from the right and left side of your car. Coilovers, although a little more pricey, gives you alot of flexibility and adjustability for the long haul. I've recently switched from running Tanabe DF210 to Tein CS-T due to the fact that the stock KYB's that come on our GS from the factory are tuned too soft for aftermarket springs. For some it's perfect, for me, I like the ride a tad bit firmer.
Old 03-05-08, 04:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

congrats on the coilovers, ryan! definitely want a more detailed write up from you on the two setup