Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Question about springs and lowering...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 04:42 PM
mattscpu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about springs and lowering...

I see several people installed springs etc. to lower your GS.

My Questions are:

What benefits compared to stock springs etc do these provide besides the fact that the car will look better slightly lowered?

Who does that kind of work?

Is Tannabe the only manufacturer that you guys recommend?

Do you just get the springs or the coils or whatever too?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I wasn't planning on doing it. It rides perfect, but I think it will look better lowered by an inch on my new 20" shoes...

Thanks!
M
Old 03-20-08, 05:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

To answer your questions:

What benefits compared to stock springs etc do these provide besides the fact that the car will look better slightly lowered?

It's all aesthetics. Handling doesn't really improve simply because the stock shocks limit the performance factor of lowering springs.

Who does that kind of work?

A local tuner shop should be able to help you out. Sometimes the dealership can do the install.

Is Tannabe the only manufacturer that you guys recommend?

For springs, I prefer Tanabe and Eibach.

Do you just get the springs or the coils or whatever too?

Lowering springs are great, but depending on the size tire you're gonna run with your 20s, you may run into rubbing issues. The stock shocks are fine with most lowering springs, but if you're going to drop lower than 1.5", you will run into rubbing issues. No one makes an aftermarket shock for the 3GS. The 3GS stock shocks are made by KYB.

As far as coilovers, it solves the issue of the stock shock being too soft in dampening, but there is obviously the cost factor. Tein CS-T and JIC FLT-A2 VIP are the popular choices.

I was previously on Tanabe DF-210, but because the stock shocks were simply way too soft for me with the springs, I changed over to the Tein CS-T. If you're looking for a ride close to stock and the ability to tighten it up a little, Tein CS-T is what you need.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-20-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:56 PM
mattscpu
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks...good info....

I will find a local tuner shop. Anyone from Dallas know of any good shops?
Old 03-21-08, 11:46 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

Thats great advice there from Flipside. Tein also makes springs, the H-Techs are the most conservative drop which would leave you with no or close to no rubbing.
Old 03-21-08, 12:30 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Originally Posted by mattscpu
I will find a local tuner shop. Anyone from Dallas know of any good shops?
SFX Performance in Arlington. They carry Tanabe, Tein, Eibach...817-303-2255
Old 03-21-08, 06:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

better looks, better handling at the price of maybe 15 % of your ride quality. I personally recommend the tein h techs. They are the most mild drop so if you lower the car they can still get you back into proper alignment specs. I would have the dealership do the work. It costs a few hundred more, but you know the shop manager did the work. tein h techs will give you the best ride quality. You can have your cake and eat it too. I think the milder drop is also practical bec when you drop the car you are probably going to want to add a set of staggered 20's. Staggered fittment means you cant rotate tires. Add lack of tire rotation with a poor alignment bec of aggresive drop and you will be buying tires every 10-15k, depending on how you drive. My last ride was slammed and I used to have to buy tires every9 months. I was on a first name basis with all of the guys at the local discount tire. The tein h techs will allow you to lower the car with ABSOLUTELY NO RUBBING, even with full capacity. I would rec running a 245/30 in the front to play it safe. plus the 245/35 looks to beefy for the car. good luck and enjoy