Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Announcement: Tanabe is looking for a 2006-up GS AWD for R&D!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 12:33 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evel
All,

Someone "MKIV98TT?!" located near Tanabe has stepped forward to volunteer. See a couple of threads below this thread. As of last week, MKIV98TT?! was waiting for a reply from Tanabe from e-mail messages & ( I think) voicemail messages. The ball is in Tanbabe's court now.
Lowering Springs, here we come!
Old 04-22-08, 12:39 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
ugh.. anything for the 460? :P
they already have springs for the RWD no matter the engine you have.
Old 04-24-08, 03:23 PM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE - I received a call from Tanabe on Tuesday. Here's the thing....I have already installed the RWD springs on my 2007 GS350 AWD. It sounds like they don't want to use my car for R & D now. What doesn't make sense is that I'm using Tanabe springs! Why wouldn’t they want to see and test how their existing springs function??!! Especially since I have the ONLY AWD within 1000 miles (i think) that is willing to do some testing. As you can see from my posts in the past I've been more than willing to help find a solution for over a year. At first I was begging for help, now I'm so tired of getting the run around that it's not even worth it anymore. Am I overreacting???
Old 04-25-08, 03:46 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

^^Okay so much for....."the ball is in our court now"....Looks like Tanabe has put all of the AWD members back to lovely square #1. This is getting so old.

No...I don't think you're overreacting. Tanabe is not reacting quick enough!!
Old 04-27-08, 06:28 PM
08BLACKOUT
Driver School Candidate

Red face Awd....

Iowa here, just thought I would offer out, I have an 08 Black new last week
Old 05-01-08, 01:34 PM
Evel
Driver

Default Tanabe Looking for CA Based GS AWD Owners - Reply

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
UPDATE - I received a call from Tanabe on Tuesday. Here's the thing....I have already installed the RWD springs on my 2007 GS350 AWD. It sounds like they don't want to use my car for R & D now. What doesn't make sense is that I'm using Tanabe springs! Why wouldn’t they want to see and test how their existing springs function??!! Especially since I have the ONLY AWD within 1000 miles (i think) that is willing to do some testing. As you can see from my posts in the past I've been more than willing to help find a solution for over a year. At first I was begging for help, now I'm so tired of getting the run around that it's not even worth it anymore. Am I overreacting???
============
MKIV98TT,

Man your update really put a damper on my day. I signed onto the forum today expecting to see a positive update from you that testing was underway. At the least, Tanabe in their orignal memo could have stated they preferred a GS AWD model with stock springs only. I am by no means a skilled auto grease monkey, so I can only guess that they wanted to install the springs themselves for a clean reference point on evaluating the data on the back end. Perhaps they don't want to base their evaluations on springs installed by someone else & fear (I am only speculating) changes may have already occurred to your tires &/or other suspension parts since the installation that could possibly corrupt their analysis data. Again, I am only speculating what their reasoning may be to turn you down. Bottom line, it SUCKS!!!
Old 05-01-08, 01:51 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

This R&D test would make sense if Tanabe is going to develop a coilover or shock/strut setup for the AWD models. Particularly, for the front suspension.

To be honest, I think that the Tanabe lowering springs specifcations of the DF/NF series for an AWD would be exactly the same as the GS RWD versions. The overall vehicle weight and weight distribution of the GS is not significantly different among the differnet trim levels. The spring rates for the Tanabe aftermarket coil springs for the GS 300/430/350/460 are probably all the same. I believe that this R&D test may be just to verify that the NF/DF series springs will work on the AWD. Also, by experimenting with a car that has not been lowered they can probably measure the before and after dampening information better.

For some reason I highly doubt that Tanabe will manufacture a coilover/shock setup for the AWD version. I don't think there's enough of an AWD market to profit from manufacturing the different front suspension components.
Old 05-01-08, 02:15 PM
Evel
Driver

Default Tanabe Looking for CA Based GS AWD Owners - Reply

Originally Posted by MKIV98TT
Originally Posted by nardeezy
This R&D test would make sense if Tanabe is going to develop a coilover or shock/strut setup for the AWD models. Particularly, for the front suspension.

To be honest, I think that the Tanabe lowering springs specifcations of the DF/NF series for an AWD would be exactly the same as the GS RWD versions. The overall vehicle weight and weight distribution of the GS is not significantly different among the differnet trim levels. The spring rates for the Tanabe aftermarket coil springs for the GS 300/430/350/460 are probably all the same. I believe that this R&D test may be just to verify that the NF/DF series springs will work on the AWD. Also, by experimenting with a car that has not been lowered they can probably measure the before and after dampening information better.

For some reason I highly doubt that Tanabe will manufacture a coilover/shock setup for the AWD version. I don't think there's enough of an AWD market to profit from manufacturing the different front suspension components.
Nardeezy,

We are in agreement on why Tanabe wants an untouched car to experiement with, but I disagree with your "not enough profit" statement. I would bet a large number of new GS owners based in the North East & Mid-Atlantic states with dense population, like myself Northern Virginia/D.C. area, are driving AWD models, which the dealers stock in sufficient numbers. At any rate, does not look good for an official AWD solution from Tanabe or Tein anytime soon.
Old 05-01-08, 03:58 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evel
Nardeezy,

We are in agreement on why Tanabe wants an untouched car to experiement with, but I disagree with your "not enough profit" statement. I would bet a large number of new GS owners based in the North East & Mid-Atlantic states with dense population, like myself Northern Virginia/D.C. area, are driving AWD models, which the dealers stock in sufficient numbers. At any rate, does not look good for an official AWD solution from Tanabe or Tein anytime soon.
If the aftermarket companies knew there was a profit to be made they would've released a suspension set already. The overall design of the front suspension is totally different. To develop, test, manufacture and distribute just the front suspension may not be profitable for the aftermaket companies. The AWD GS has been on the market since late 2005 (same suspension design), and until now there is now aftermarket suspension spec'd for the AWD. If they thought there was going to be profit we would've seen an aftermarket set out by now. I wish that someone had something "market ready", but there's nothing even close.
Old 05-01-08, 05:10 PM
spider_55
Driver

But from what I have read is that the RWD springs will work on the AWD; it just won't look ideal because the front will still sit a bit higher than the rear.

But others have installed the NF210's on an AWD GS without issues (or at least none reported). Others have reported vibrations but could not determine if it was related to their wheels being staggered or the drop. And wasn’t the vibration issue with the 2006 GS300’s, not 2007+ GS350’s?
Old 05-01-08, 07:47 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spider_55
But from what I have read is that the RWD springs will work on the AWD; it just won't look ideal because the front will still sit a bit higher than the rear.

But others have installed the NF210's on an AWD GS without issues (or at least none reported). Others have reported vibrations but could not determine if it was related to their wheels being staggered or the drop. And wasn’t the vibration issue with the 2006 GS300’s, not 2007+ GS350’s?
I know for a fact that my vibration is due to the wheels. However, I'm not sure if it's because of the stagger. I've heard that the 2-piece iForged FS Aero wheels are prone to wheel vibration issues. Anyways, I rolled my car for over a month before I had my wheels installed and I did not have vibration issues during that time.

If putting the correct setup of staggered wheels and tires on the GS is so bad than how is it that a BMW X5 AWD 4.4i can roll with a staggered setup? I know it has to do with the initially design intent but the concept is still the same?
Old 05-02-08, 05:58 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nardeezy
If putting the correct setup of staggered wheels and tires on the GS is so bad than how is it that a BMW X5 AWD 4.4i can roll with a staggered setup? I know it has to do with the initially design intent but the concept is still the same?
You can put a set of staggered wheels on an AWD as long as the overall diameter is the same.
Old 05-02-08, 10:50 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815
You can put a set of staggered wheels on an AWD as long as the overall diameter is the same.
And that's exactly what I did. I did my research to make sure that I purchased the proper staggered wheel/tire combination to ensure that the overall rolling diameters will be the same. However, there are posters on this forum and on other forums who say that the AWD system will get damaged in the long run if a staggered setup is used. I can understand from a performance standpoint that a staggered setup on an AWD is not ideal but if you can maintain the proper staggered wheel/tire combination (for looks only), why is it bad and what exactly can happen?

I love the way our car looks. I wish it had more power but I'm okay with the 245hp. Other than vibrations due to improperly balanced wheels/tires and the iforged aero's, I think my car drives and performs just fine for what it is. The only reason I would want to get rid of the car is in case a major powertrain issue arrises in the future due to the modified setup. Can someone logically explain how my staggered and lowered setup will damage the AWD powertrain during normal driving conditions and the vehicle being well maintained?
Old 05-07-08, 07:37 AM
Evel
Driver

Originally Posted by Tanabe USA
Research & Development sometime around mid May.

Tanabe USA needs test vehicles for Research & Development.
That way we can offer new and updated parts for your vehicle.

Requirements:

* Vehicle MUST be stock (NO MODIFICATIONS).
* Must be local. Near or within the city of Torrance, CA.
* Vehicle must be available for up to 2 days.
* No accidents.
* A clean vehicle with minimal physical blemishes.

If anyone is interested please email us at info@tanabe-usa.com

We will discuss in detail what will be involved in the process and how it will benefit you. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Tanabe USA,

Have you had any success finding a suitable volunteer? The one person who responded (that I know of) car did not meet the first requirement...as they had already installed a set of our NF or DF springs.

You will probably be hard pressed to find many GS AWD owners in (Southern?) CA, as most AWD owners, like myself, reside east of the Mississippi River, with higest concentration in the Mid-Atlantic & Northeast corridor states. If only you had affiliates along the east coast that could perform the tests per your specifications.

Us AWD owners need a (official) spring solution. HELP!
Old 05-07-08, 11:26 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Amen to that bro... Im waiting and waiting... and waiting some more!

Quick Reply: Announcement: Tanabe is looking for a 2006-up GS AWD for R&D!