Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Which one to get
Tein CS
40.74%
JIC Magic
29.63%
Tanabe Pro 5
22.22%
Tanabe Pro 7
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Choice between Tein CS, JIC Magic, and Tanabe pro 5 / pro 7 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 11:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Anyone rolling on the JIC magic FLT-TAR VIP coilovers

Just checking out suspension options for the 3gs on l tuned. JIC magic has a set up that runs a few 100 dollars more than the loved tein cs. It has spring rates that are way higher than the tein cs, but it boasts the largest drop. And bec it has the adjustable shell case length you can slo keep full suspension stroke while the car is rolling dumped. any feed back or opinions would be appreciated
Old 06-18-08, 12:40 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about upgrading from the Tein SuperSports to this coilover setup in August!!!!
Old 06-18-08, 09:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

In AZ its already 115 deg and its not even july/aug yet. So it is important to check the pressures when they are hot to see if they are to close to max tire pressure. The guys at the wheel and tire place it reduces the chance of denting wheels and it will allow better wear since the car is dropped. all the place I went to said that min of 42 psi with a 30 profile tire. The highest I have ever seen was 123 deg 200 miles out side of phoenix. Out here the tire pressures when burning hot are important bec of the kind of temps we see. If the air temp is 123 deg what do you think the ground temp is? HOT AS HELL
Old 06-18-08, 09:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Default Tein CS owners what do you think?

I was looking into coilovers. I called a couple of shops in town and they all say they highly rec the tein over the tanabe. I wanted to know what you guys think of the set up. any prob;ems? Also I noticed that most members who are running this set up have the car dumped usually to 2+ inches drop and say the ride quality is great. I know that the tanabe pro 7 allows the case length of the shock to be adjusted to maintain a higher amount of suspension stroke, so I can imagine that the ride is pretty good while the car is dropped. the tein cs on the other hand doesnt have the adjustable case length, but says the height is adjustable via a spring perch aand thredded shock body. I am wondering if the threaded shock body allow the set up to maintain full stroke at low ride heights. Both systems run almost the same price so I am game for either. In the end the tein cs has spring rates that are close to double that of the h techs I have now. The tananbe spring rates are almost triple what I have now. I dont want to ruin ride quality but I want full stroke while lowered. I know thw Tanabe pro 7 and JIC FLT VIP coilovers allow for adjustable case length for better ride and stroke length while slammed, but the tein CS seems like the forum/industry standard
Old 06-18-08, 09:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I dont know if the tein cs has the feature of the adjustable case length. It would be big time if I could drop the car 1.5 to 2 inches with a somewhat decent ride. what trips me out about the jIC magic set up is the 13kg spring rate for the front. DAMN that is really high
Old 06-18-08, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ability to adjust height and keep the travel can be a bad thing imho. when you lower the car, travel should be less, otherwise after certain point you risk bottoming out your car too easily. bad idea.

when i had flex on my gs400, it allows lowering and keep the same shock travel. i ended up not using that feature at all
Old 06-18-08, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

thanke for the input. It seems like I am going to do teeein cs in the end
Old 06-18-08, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

max pressure are usually around 51psi. if you keep your cold pressure around 36, you are safe.... it gets to 100 or even 110 here in cali as well, nothing happens
Old 06-19-08, 01:25 AM
jeffree
Driver School Candidate

i just had the tein cs put on a few weeks ago, lowered it 2'. ride quality is great, pretty close to stock. much better than what i expected.
Old 06-19-08, 06:14 AM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

You know I have the Tein Super Streets... They are awesome... car is super slammed.... and rides great even with the 25 series tires.... stiff but smooth at the same time... dont know if that makes sense... imagine a BMW with Lexus quite....
Old 06-19-08, 08:51 AM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In all honesty....just make a poll on what people have and go with the crowd. If pricing isn't a concern there is better, and if pricing is a concern get the cheapest.

All low lvl coilovers (Tien CS, Tien SS, Tanabe Pro 5, and Tanabe Pro 7) all use KYB shocks. In other words it's all based on the spring rate for each company to make the differences. If you want the best setup and the best ride quality I suggest going with Tien and ordering a custom valved setup and custom spring rate, or get KW's or something.

Both the Tanabe Five and Seven use the same rear spring...just an FYI.
Old 06-19-08, 11:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i removed some unnecessary posts. i will be merging all coilovers related threads by I8ABMR soon

edit: i have merged the threads, edited the title, and put up a poll. everyone please stay on topic

Last edited by rominl; 06-19-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Net Junky
In all honesty....just make a poll on what people have and go with the crowd. If pricing isn't a concern there is better, and if pricing is a concern get the cheapest.

All low lvl coilovers (Tien CS, Tien SS, Tanabe Pro 5, and Tanabe Pro 7) all use KYB shocks. In other words it's all based on the spring rate for each company to make the differences. If you want the best setup and the best ride quality I suggest going with Tien and ordering a custom valved setup and custom spring rate, or get KW's or something.

Both the Tanabe Five and Seven use the same rear spring...just an FYI.
all of them use the exact same shocks, meaning the same dampening settings? i am in doubt
Old 06-19-08, 12:30 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
all of them use the exact same shocks, meaning the same dampening settings? i am in doubt
I didn't say they use the same exact shock...they all just use KYB as their shock supplier. They all use different valving and different stuff inside. Different model of sealed shocks in other words.
Old 06-19-08, 12:44 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
thanke for the input. It seems like I am going to do teeein cs in the end
You have stated multiple things throughout all your threads.

1. you want the most travel - not a good idea...if you hit a speed bump you are going to botom out your frame on the speed bump if you are that low.
2. you want handling - will compromise the ride for better handling
3. you want ride comfort - will compromise the handling
4. You want the valve controller - expect to pay close to $2k with the Tien CS including the valve controller

Tanabe Pro 5 will run you in the ball park of the coilovers of the CS and it's including the TEAS. Meaning it's cheaper.

Spring rate from 7-9kg doesn't feel that much of a difference because
1. the car weight close to 2 tons
2. our cars don't weight 1 ton where the spring rate makes a huge difference
3. as long as the dampening of the shocks go along with the spring rate it'll feel smooth, if not it'll be jarry or harsh on rough roads or feel like a boat(not enough dampening)

My suggestion is if you plan to only go 1-1.5" lower any of the coilovers will be fine and work. The dampening will be adjustable and any of the coilovers should feel good enough.

Another option I highly suggest is go on a test drive with a local Lexus owner with the suspension in question and feel for yourself. If not you will just complain on the ride. Everybody has different tastes, and feel on what they like and what is acceptable. Running 10kg front and 8kg rear on a 2k lbs car can be acceptable for some for the handling they desire but not acceptable to others. A very good read I saw was of the comparison of the SS/CS/HA setup by a fellow Lexus owner.

on my last note, have you looking into finding if the springs in question are linear or not. If a spring is rated 7kg and not linear it can feel 10kg when it's fully compressed versus a linear 8kg spring which make it feel softer at full compression. lots of info.

Quick Reply: Choice between Tein CS, JIC Magic, and Tanabe pro 5 / pro 7 coilovers