Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Which one to get
Tein CS
40.74%
JIC Magic
29.63%
Tanabe Pro 5
22.22%
Tanabe Pro 7
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Choice between Tein CS, JIC Magic, and Tanabe pro 5 / pro 7 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 01:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Net Junky
I didn't say they use the same exact shock...they all just use KYB as their shock supplier. They all use different valving and different stuff inside. Different model of sealed shocks in other words.
well you said

In other words it's all based on the spring rate for each company to make the differences
so that's not true anymore coz' shocks play a big role too
Old 06-19-08, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Net Junky
You have stated multiple things throughout all your threads.

1. you want the most travel - not a good idea...if you hit a speed bump you are going to botom out your frame on the speed bump if you are that low.
2. you want handling - will compromise the ride for better handling
3. you want ride comfort - will compromise the handling
4. You want the valve controller - expect to pay close to $2k with the Tien CS including the valve controller

Tanabe Pro 5 will run you in the ball park of the coilovers of the CS and it's including the TEAS. Meaning it's cheaper.

Spring rate from 7-9kg doesn't feel that much of a difference because
1. the car weight close to 2 tons
2. our cars don't weight 1 ton where the spring rate makes a huge difference
3. as long as the dampening of the shocks go along with the spring rate it'll feel smooth, if not it'll be jarry or harsh on rough roads or feel like a boat(not enough dampening)

My suggestion is if you plan to only go 1-1.5" lower any of the coilovers will be fine and work. The dampening will be adjustable and any of the coilovers should feel good enough.

Another option I highly suggest is go on a test drive with a local Lexus owner with the suspension in question and feel for yourself. If not you will just complain on the ride. Everybody has different tastes, and feel on what they like and what is acceptable. Running 10kg front and 8kg rear on a 2k lbs car can be acceptable for some for the handling they desire but not acceptable to others. A very good read I saw was of the comparison of the SS/CS/HA setup by a fellow Lexus owner.

on my last note, have you looking into finding if the springs in question are linear or not. If a spring is rated 7kg and not linear it can feel 10kg when it's fully compressed versus a linear 8kg spring which make it feel softer at full compression. lots of info.
great post
Old 06-19-08, 01:53 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well you said

so that's not true anymore coz' shocks play a big role too
well yes it does but US distibutors of tanabe and tein will not release shock dyno's meaning you only have spring rates to go by. I believe tanabe did do a generic comparison of a model they carry vs a competitor on valve adjustment.
Old 06-19-08, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Net junky and rominl you guys are big time in my book. thanks for all of the info and input. I will probably stick with tein cs or tanabe pro5 and maybe a front lip. The guy at Dynocomp ( big shop in town) pushes the Tein.
Old 06-22-08, 02:21 AM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote goes for the JIC's. I have the FLT-TAR VIP Series on my 08 GS460 and couldn't be happier. I have to say that there some of the best I've used...especially for daily driving!
Old 06-27-08, 09:28 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have JIC's on my GS350. While I personally am not the biggest fan of JIC suspension, I got them sole reason that they would go lower than most other suspensions out there within the same price range. If I was ready to drop some serious coin, I would have looked into something like Zeal, Aragosta, Tom's or the Japan HKS Hipermax.