Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Finally ordered Tein CST with EDFC !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 06:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Finally ordered Tein CST with EDFC !!

I finally pulled the trigger on the tein cst set up with the edfc box. I kept going back and fourth between the Tanabe Pro 5, the tein CST, or just sticking with my stock shocks and the tein H techs I have currently. I kept trying to figure out why it is that the tanabe are so much cheaper than the tein . Basically they are both solid set ups, but the biggest differnce in the two systems is that the Tanabe Pro 5 utilizes a twin tube damper, while the Tein CST (like HKS, JIC, Bilstein, etc) uses a monotube design. The monotube design has a much higher internal pressure therefore they are more exspensive to produce ( valving , seals,etc). The twin tube design is generally what most oem parts designers will use bec of lower cost and slightly increased stroke provided by a monotube shock ( cheaper and easier to produce good ride quality). The monotube on the other hand is a more consistent shock with a much larger valve, and is less effected by heat extremes. Generally more of a concern on the track, but it can only help in the 122 deg AZ summer temps when you start utilizing the sticky summer tires and loading up the supension with passengers.

I still think the tanabe is a very good alternative to the tein, but I had to get real with myself in terms of what I wanted in this new car. I decided to lean towards the comfort rather than the performance. Everyone I have talked to has stated how happy they are with the Tein CST, and many of them emphasized how amazing the ride was even when the car was dropped more than 2 inches. The tein cst will have the EDFC box when installed so if I want a little extra road holding I can easily dial in a little more damping from the drivers chair. what bothered me about tanabe was that I asked them what happens if I have a blown shock. will they do a rebuild like tein? they told me they are too small to offer services like that. Tein is obviously very large and very well known, and the fact that they offer some of these higher end services may actually save you money in the long run if the shocks ever have to be rebuilt. cheaper to rebuild than to replace the entire set up

I know I have been looking into coilovers for a while now, but I like to do my research before I install anything. Since I previously only used aftermarket springs with adj shocks from tokico ( d spec) I didnt have a lot of coilover knowledge. I am a bit of an expert now if anyone has any questions let me know. I am very familiar with Tein CST, tanabe pro 5 and 7, and the JIC magic now. I want to thank all of the cool members who gave me feedback and opinions on the coilovers.( Val gs350, rominl, Tx prfrmnce, tuner4life, and 07350frost, and the rest of the guys I bothered)

PS when I asked my wife what to go with she said just get the most exspensive and call it a day. (lol) I love my wife. she even pushed me to get the EDFC box reminding me what a pain in the *** it was to adjust the shocks on my G35, especially in the AZ heat in the summer. I will post pics probably next week because my install is this monday. Thanks again guys. just wanted to share my excitement .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-22-08 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 10:00 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally....lol

Getting the EDFC is a great choice, fun little toy!

Can't wait for the Pics!
Old 07-23-08, 10:05 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up! Thanks for sharing all the info. Now all i need to know is how smooth the ride is compared to stock.. Post some pics when you get a chance
Old 07-23-08, 09:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am set up for monday install. I will post pics and reviews. I will make sure to compare the stock suspension to the tein cst, and even the tein h tech with stock shocks.
Old 07-23-08, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by valgs350
Finally....lol

Getting the EDFC is a great choice, fun little toy!

Can't wait for the Pics!
thnaks for all the help man. I hope my edfc install goes well with having to cut the ac vent running to the back seat. I want the edfc install more than I want that little loss of air flow to the back seat. You know what. as long as it still flows some air WHO CARES. Tein EDFC is BIG TIME
Old 07-24-08, 11:19 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
PS when I asked my wife what to go with she said just get the most exspensive and call it a day.
I8ABMR,

You are one lucky SOB, your wife let you mod the GS.

As you already know that I am selling "Tanabe Sustec Pro Five & TEAS" on other link. The only reason I am selling the kit is b/c my "WIFEY" won't let me intalled them!!!

But she has pretty reason, "GS is a family sports car, if I want to mod the I should get a real sports car instead, like GTR, S5, or something similar!!! Be patient, wait and see what happen on your BD coming up in November!?!"

So I guess, I won't able to do any mod till November!!!
Old 07-29-08, 10:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I still get crap from time to time, but she is pretty cool overall. Now the smaller stuff like a HID kit for the fogs, or even a roof spoiler will seem like small stuff. lol.

ps I would tell the wife that you will be able to raise the car up when you want, and you can set the shocks to soft for the family. with some light mods you really can have your cake and eat it too. Lexus reliability, with BMW handling