Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Bouncy Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 08:40 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncy Suspension Question

I got my Tein CST installed, but it rides kind of bouncy,

Do I set the dampening to more of the soft side or the hard side to minimze bounce and increase comfort?

What dampening settings would you recomend to keep the suspension comfortable like a "stock" lexus, or close as possible?

Thanks
Old 12-09-08, 11:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

try to set it to soft, try 12 clicks from the stiffest and see how you like it
Old 12-09-08, 01:19 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
Cool.. just had my Teins installed too. The ride quality is pretty good. I'll play around with it to see if it can be improved. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-09-08, 01:25 PM
KIEUGS3
Driver

I set it to 4 clicks to the soft side (counter-clock wise) and it feels bouncy,
is that too soft? is that why it rides like that? like a boat?

12 clicks from the stiffest is the same as 4 clicks remaining, thats what I have it set at and doesnt feel too comfortable.

Someone told me I should have it set more to the stiff side to eliminate the bounce, but wouldnt that just make me feel every single bump in the road?

Last edited by KIEUGS3; 12-09-08 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KIEUGS3
I set it to 4 clicks to the soft side (counter-clock wise) and it feels bouncy,
is that too soft? is that why it rides like that? like a boat?

12 clicks from the stiffest is the same as 4 clicks remaining, thats what I have it set at and doesnt feel too comfortable.

Someone told me I should have it set more to the stiff side to eliminate the bounce, but wouldnt that just make me feel every single bump in the road?
umm.... just to clarify, if you go from stiffest setting and do counter clockwise, you can go OVER 16 clicks!!!!!!! so 12 from stiffest doesn't mean 4 remaining. and anything more than 16 is not recommended and you can damage the shocks! that's why when counting the clicks, it should always be from the stiffest (clockwise all the way) and go back, up to 16. i hope your shocks are still ok?

on the ride, maybe you should just try out and see which one is best. i am at 12 from stiffest and i like this ride the most. some people may think it's a bit floaty and they go with 8. it's more firm for sure. when i first got the tein cst i had it at 4 from stiffest and i wasn't a fan of that ride at all
Old 12-10-08, 10:43 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

umm.... just to clarify, if you go from stiffest setting and do counter clockwise, you can go OVER 16 clicks!!!!!!! so 12 from stiffest doesn't mean 4 remaining. and anything more than 16 is not recommended and you can damage the shocks! that's why when counting the clicks, it should always be from the stiffest (clockwise all the way) and go back, up to 16. i hope your shocks are still ok?

on the ride, maybe you should just try out and see which one is best. i am at 12 from stiffest and i like this ride the most. some people may think it's a bit floaty and they go with 8. it's more firm for sure. when i first got the tein cst i had it at 4 from stiffest and i wasn't a fan of that ride at all
Just to clarify. This is what I did:
I turned the **** clockwise all the way until it wouldnt turn anymore.
Then from there, I turned the **** counter-clockwise and counted backwards, starting from 16-15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4.
and left it at that.
So 12 from the stiffest is the same as what I did right?
If that is correct, then yea the car feels a little floaty.
Maybe I need to stiffen it up a little,
When it was at the half way point (8 clicks) it felt like every bump i went over, i could feel it inside my car. Maybe Teins riding on 20" has a huge factor in the ride quality.
Old 12-10-08, 11:43 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

with coilovers, i think it's gonna be trial and error to find the "right" ride quality that you want. if half way point (8 clicks) doesn't work for you, keep going lower by 1 click until you find the position that you like. it's a pain in the butt, but ultimately you will find the right ride quality that suits you.
Old 12-10-08, 08:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I usually run my set up at 12-13 from full hard when cruising in town. On the highway I sometimes set it at 8 from full hard. For the hills and corners I like 2 to 4 from full hard. It does get bouncy. I think the best all around set up with no EDFC would be closer to 10 from full hard so that you still feel some steering feedback and dont feel like the car is going to roll over around hardcorners
Old 12-10-08, 08:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I usually run my set up at 12-13 from full hard when cruising in town. On the highway I sometimes set it at 8 from full hard. For the hills and corners I like 2 to 4 from full hard. It does get bouncy. I think the best all around set up with no EDFC would be closer to 10 from full hard so that you still feel some steering feedback and dont feel like the car is going to roll over around hardcorners
what setting would you say that gives you the most "stock" ride feeling?
Old 12-10-08, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Just to clarify. This is what I did:
I turned the **** clockwise all the way until it wouldnt turn anymore.
Then from there, I turned the **** counter-clockwise and counted backwards, starting from 16-15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4.
and left it at that.
So 12 from the stiffest is the same as what I did right?
If that is correct, then yea the car feels a little floaty.
Maybe I need to stiffen it up a little,
When it was at the half way point (8 clicks) it felt like every bump i went over, i could feel it inside my car. Maybe Teins riding on 20" has a huge factor in the ride quality.
yes, then we are in line.

in that case, try stiffer settings and see. it's not hard to adjust the dampening, doesn't take me more than 2 mins. so it should be simple and fast
Old 12-11-08, 09:35 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

I will try stiffer settings and post my findings.

Its not the adjusting of the dampening that takes much time, its the pulling up the trunk lining that is annoying.

I think i really should invest in EFDC
Old 12-11-08, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I will try stiffer settings and post my findings.

Its not the adjusting of the dampening that takes much time, its the pulling up the trunk lining that is annoying.

I think i really should invest in EFDC
huh? pulling back the lining took me about 1 min. there are no clips, all you need is just pull. i still remember with my gs400 it was pain in the butt with all the clips, and on the sc430 it's even worse

personally i wouldn't spend another couple 100s for edfc vs pulling lining not like i will be adjusting the dampening often, hehe
Old 12-11-08, 02:27 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are on 20s, it will NEVER ride like stock comfort-wise. Although everyone has different tolerance levels, less rubber means less road absorption. If you are saying bouncy as in that floaty stock feeling, you might want to stiffen the dampening to reduce that. Just because Henry does not like it at 4 from stiffest does not mean that you won't either.

Play around with it until you find a setting that is good for you. As for the EDFC, I love it. Still, unless you plan to change settings on the fly, it is not as useful. Yes, it is nice at the beginning when you are playing around to find settings. Once done, though, most people don't play with the settings.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-08, 05:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what setting would you say that gives you the most "stock" ride feeling?
To be honest the closest to the stock feel that I can get is front 15 from full hard and rear 14 from full hard. I play with my setting all of the time because of the EDFC so I have a pretty good idea of what the range of setting will produce. Mind you that with that very soft setting that the car will have a solid amount of body roll in any corners. Its still the closest I can set it to ride like stock. It helps to get rid of much of the high frequency vibrations in the road.

What do you think about buying the EDFC???? It will really help and you wont have to commit to any setting all of the time. I am not a set it and forget kind of guy. With my last G35 I was on the street constantly tweaking the set up and also had a different set up for the track that would allow more oversteer so I could increase corner exit speeds ( also decrease understeer on corner entry).
Old 12-12-08, 01:11 PM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
To be honest the closest to the stock feel that I can get is front 15 from full hard and rear 14 from full hard. I play with my setting all of the time because of the EDFC so I have a pretty good idea of what the range of setting will produce. Mind you that with that very soft setting that the car will have a solid amount of body roll in any corners. Its still the closest I can set it to ride like stock. It helps to get rid of much of the high frequency vibrations in the road.

What do you think about buying the EDFC???? It will really help and you wont have to commit to any setting all of the time. I am not a set it and forget kind of guy. With my last G35 I was on the street constantly tweaking the set up and also had a different set up for the track that would allow more oversteer so I could increase corner exit speeds ( also decrease understeer on corner entry).
With your setup at 14/15, does your car feel floaty?