Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

"Sport" setting on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 06:57 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Sport" setting on suspension

So, who uses this? Other than a cool "SPORT" message with the little icon, what's up with this?

I understand from reading other posts that it's "electronic dampening control," but what does that mean as a practical matter -- in lay-driver, non-car guy terms?

Is it supposed to be "more firm" in a way that affects handling and feel on a twisty road, like leaning less, or will it just feel harder and more jarring on bumpy surfaces?

I've switched it on a few times, and I certainly couldn't swear to feeling a difference. The fairly dramatic difference with the ECT Normal and PWR setting kind of sets up an expectation of something pronounced happening.

Last edited by drpepper; 01-08-09 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it stiffen up the shocks on the car, making it stiffer thus more responsive drive (relatively). in reality, it's very mild change. some might notice it but don't expect anything wow about. on my gs400 / sc430 / ls460l, they all had the setting but i never used them
Old 01-08-09, 07:53 AM
CashOverAs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few other questions related to the sport mode. 1. im guessing there is no visual change when looking at the car from the outside... I know some Mercedes' with the sport setting you can actually watch the car lower an inch or two.
2. will any aftermarket suspension options negate this stock feature? like if you get aftermarket springs, or aftermarket coilovers, or what im hoping to is airride my car. will this stock switch do ANYTHING if you replace the suspension with airride?
Old 01-08-09, 07:58 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
I have a few other questions related to the sport mode. 1. im guessing there is no visual change when looking at the car from the outside... I know some Mercedes' with the sport setting you can actually watch the car lower an inch or two.
2. will any aftermarket suspension options negate this stock feature? like if you get aftermarket springs, or aftermarket coilovers, or what im hoping to is airride my car. will this stock switch do ANYTHING if you replace the suspension with airride?
While I started this off with questions, I can tell you that the only visual difference is the "SPORT" light on the gauge. I don't see how it could possibly continue to work if you made an aftermarket suspension change, right?
Old 01-08-09, 09:45 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it for just driving around as the stiffer suspension enable the steering to be a little crisper, I don't have to turn the steering wheel quite as much. Since the steering is electronic it could directly affect that too but I don't think so.
Old 01-08-09, 10:20 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as the sport mode...i don't feel much of a change when i switch back and forth. The power mode does feel different when i change it from normal to power...i feel the rpm kick on alittle bit.
Old 01-08-09, 10:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JHStrange
I like it for just driving around as the stiffer suspension enable the steering to be a little crisper, I don't have to turn the steering wheel quite as much. Since the steering is electronic it could directly affect that too but I don't think so.

The sports suspension mode have nothing to do with the turn to turn ratio of the steering wheel.
Old 01-08-09, 01:50 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i can totally tell the difference, i turn it on on twisty roads, bad weather conditions

turn it on on rough roads and while driving it, turn it off, you can tell the difference on how the car reacts to the bumps

if you still can't tell, maybe you are just not sensitive at all, replacing springs will not change anything to the AVS, but if you change it to coilovers, then you lose this function
Old 01-08-09, 03:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can feel the difference even with my car lowered.
Old 01-08-09, 08:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
1) correct, there is no visual change when looking at the car from the outside when using sport mode

2) the stock switch for sport mode will still work if you get aftermarket springs (you are just replacing oem spring with aftermarket spring). stock switch will not work with coilovers or air ride suspension - you will lose the sport mode feature. this is something you should consider if keeping the sport mode functionality is important to you.

and as rominl and whlkev mentioned, sport mode is related to the shocks, not the springs

Last edited by Stormforge; 01-08-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

what mb has setting to "lower" the car when it's stationary? i didn't know that. i thought those are just cars with factory air suspension and people install aftermarket air controller? i know cars with air suspension where at high speed the car will lower a bit for better aero, but not when stopped?

the avs setting has to do with the shocks, so putting on springs will retain the fucntion. but if you do coilovers, the function is gone

also, doing air suspension might be ok, i suppose, if you stay with the stock shocks. i mean, there aren't any other shocks out there for you to choose from anyway, unless you build your air ride off coilover shock setup
Old 01-09-09, 05:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Audi actually went one step further than MB with their air suspension. In sport mode, the air suspension will lower I believe 1" and the transmission mapping changes to allow higher rev, also the steering's turn to turn ratio decreases and the active suspension and power steering also tighten up. All this with one push of a button.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-09-09 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 05:33 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Alright! I can't be the only one who's getting tired of having your Audi thrown our faces!

I can't read a single topic on here with out finding that it turns to your Audi at some point.

j/k

Very cool sounding feature
Old 01-09-09, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry drpepper, I am not throwing any thing in your face. I dont have that option in my Audi, I wish I did. Just comparing the diff sport mode option between Audi, MB and Lexus, thats all.

Now that I dont have my GS anymore, its just a matter of time before I get booted outta here anyways

Last edited by The G Man; 01-09-09 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 08:16 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by The G Man
Now that I dont have my GS anymore, its just a matter of time before I get booted outta here anyways
I think 4,300+ posts kind of earns you a spot.

But is there a good Audi forum?

Quick Reply: "Sport" setting on suspension