Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS AWD (lowered suspension data)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 01:35 AM
chapagetti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me the vibrations could only be coming from one thing.. the engine. when it's colder it vibrates more due to a higher idle correct? the softer mounts would probaby help but who makes them? and the lower the car is the stiffer the suspension therefore the vibrations also increase. One question I have is, is it possible to have a tein coilover setup with edfc on an AWD? Seems to me everyone is pretty much using a RWD suspension setup anyway.. I saw they make tein coil +edfc for 06+ gs300 rwd. I'm wondering if loosening up on the edfc will effect the vibrating, if so how much? Also, I was thinking doing something with the CV joints like getting custom made ones that will possibly absorb some of the vibrations just like the hypothetical mount idea would work.. sorry I'm a newb on this forum and not a mechanic but just read through all 10 pages of posts and throwing some ideas out there.. I would love to lower my gs350 awd but do not like the idea of crazy vibrating.. I'd rather have that on my EK hatch. I hate the stock height but I think if my car is vibrating like crazy all the time it kinda defeats the purpose of owning a Lexus.. that's just me tho. hopefully we can figure out a solution to this problem because it is definately MAJOR.
Old 04-15-10, 11:02 AM
anaq110
Driver

Default F-Sport on 2007 GS350 AWD

Hey Guys,

Just got my F-Sport springs installed and drove up from Jersey to Toronto. I can't begin to state how happy I am. My intension of drop was for improved looks like everybody else but I was so shocked at handling. The car was hugging the corners of I81 and riding like a true Lex should.

No vibration\wobbling issues at all in fact I think the slight vibrations I had prior are gone also. I pushed up to about 100mph and didn't feel a single thing. City driving was good also. I will post up pictures later with before and after.

Other work I had done was get Lexus OEM rotors and Akebono pads all around.

Special Thanks to Yang1815 n others for giving me the confidence to pull the trigger and Riteway in Jersey for wanting to do the work.

Clublexus rocks and I have learned so much here from so many knowledgeable members. I wish I was more active when I had my GS400.

Next Step- 19s or 20s Stag vs Non Stag TSW vs Vosson

Last edited by anaq110; 04-15-10 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-19-10, 06:13 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chapagetti
Seems to me the vibrations could only be coming from one thing.. the engine. when it's colder it vibrates more due to a higher idle correct? the softer mounts would probaby help but who makes them? and the lower the car is the stiffer the suspension therefore the vibrations also increase. One question I have is, is it possible to have a tein coilover setup with edfc on an AWD? Seems to me everyone is pretty much using a RWD suspension setup anyway.. I saw they make tein coil +edfc for 06+ gs300 rwd. I'm wondering if loosening up on the edfc will effect the vibrating, if so how much? Also, I was thinking doing something with the CV joints like getting custom made ones that will possibly absorb some of the vibrations just like the hypothetical mount idea would work.. sorry I'm a newb on this forum and not a mechanic but just read through all 10 pages of posts and throwing some ideas out there.. I would love to lower my gs350 awd but do not like the idea of crazy vibrating.. I'd rather have that on my EK hatch. I hate the stock height but I think if my car is vibrating like crazy all the time it kinda defeats the purpose of owning a Lexus.. that's just me tho. hopefully we can figure out a solution to this problem because it is definately MAJOR.
i dont think it is the engine for the fact the vibrations occur all the time whether its cold or not. also the vibrations do not increase or decrease unless you lower/raise the car. the lower the car goes the worse it gets. dampening would have nothing to do with it. if i set my dampening to 30 the vibrations will still be there and visa versa.
Old 04-20-10, 12:45 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

since we are pretty sure that the vibrations are caused by axle angle, has anyone thought of using a drop spindle to correct? can such a thing be fabricated or is there one in existence that can be used? just a thought....
Old 04-21-10, 04:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

it would have to be custom made. maybe i can talk to my buddy to see if something can be done. he owns an airbag and hydraulics shop. there has to be something that could be custom fabbed.
Old 04-21-10, 06:10 AM
ryan78
Instructor

keep us posted. i would imagine anything to lessen the axle angle would help. of course, raising the car up is not an option. LOL.
Old 04-21-10, 11:11 AM
riles200
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryan78
since we are pretty sure that the vibrations are caused by axle angle, has anyone thought of using a drop spindle to correct? can such a thing be fabricated or is there one in existence that can be used? just a thought....

If it is the angle of the axel, then why when you put the car in neutral at a stop, the vibrations disappear? Could it possibly have something to do with the drive train for the front wheels?
Old 04-21-10, 11:40 AM
ryan78
Instructor

i would guess because there is no load on the drivetrain with it in neutral?
Old 04-22-10, 10:38 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

08 AWD 350, looking to lower a bit, I can't stand this 4x4 look. Few questions for everyone, does anyone know if the NF210's are the same for RWD and AWD? Second, NF210's vs. F-Sport, how do they actually compare drop wise and comfort.
Old 04-29-10, 09:39 PM
chapagetti
Driver School Candidate

ok guys, I went into Lexus today and inquired about lowering my 07 awd gs350. they told me they have an F-sport lowering spring set for awd now. they quoted me $800 and some change. can anyone verify? this is big news for us if it's true. I would imagine anything they manufacture from F-sport will not cause any vibrations...
Old 04-30-10, 05:04 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

there is no difference in the springs. you can use the rwd springs and be fine. there are several members using the rwd springs with no vibrations.
Old 05-05-10, 09:43 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
there is no difference in the springs. you can use the rwd springs and be fine. there are several members using the rwd springs with no vibrations.
While that may be true, this member has vibrations with F Sport springs.

I get an unexplained vibration in the steering wheel (a slight shimmy, like the wheels are not balanced, as well as a high frequency vibration feeling) when hammering on the gas (e.g. 4000 rpm+). I have yet to figure out the problem.
Old 05-05-10, 09:51 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

hmmm interesting. most of the members ive seen using the F sport springs had no issues. then again this whole vibration thing is subjected to personal opinion.
Old 05-08-10, 01:26 PM
chapagetti
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
While that may be true, this member has vibrations with F Sport springs.

I get an unexplained vibration in the steering wheel (a slight shimmy, like the wheels are not balanced, as well as a high frequency vibration feeling) when hammering on the gas (e.g. 4000 rpm+). I have yet to figure out the problem.
so I'm assuming you're using RWD springs on an AWD correct? then it goes back to my question.. did f-sport release an awd spring set? I don't think lexus would install rwd springs on an awd car, at least the one by my house won't. plus if F-sport is putting out an awd spring set that Lexus dealers will install I don't see how it can cause vibrations.. am I right?
Old 05-11-10, 04:38 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

as far as i know, no there are no awd fsport springs. there is no difference in springs. the only thing different from the rwd suspension to the awd suspension is the awd bracket attached to the bottom of the front struts.

even people with the road magnet awd springs have reported vibrations.

Quick Reply: GS AWD (lowered suspension data)