Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS AWD (lowered suspension data)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 12:02 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan78
lol. the shop just needs to find the axles, and we're good to go. i may have to get the camber kit that Mike pieced together so i can go lower i really don't want to do the kit though, as at the current ride height my last set of tires lasted 35k mi. i would like to get that out of the tires i have now, but they are inside/outside, not directional. there is no way to rotate to compensate for camber wear. but, guess you have to pay to play. still have to pull the fenders out a bit more. project for the weekend, i guess. lol. car is filthy, and i need some better pics, but as requested....

I know your from maryland but you didnt happen to buy those wheels from smitty did you? he mentioned on sunday that he sold his wheels.
Old 06-02-10, 12:31 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know your from maryland but you didnt happen to buy those wheels from smitty did you? he mentioned on sunday that he sold his wheels.

...i have no idea what you are talking about....
lol. yeah, he lives right up the road from me. he, and a few other NELOC'ers are the first cats i met from CL. real good people.
since they are infiniti offsets, there is a bit of work needed to make fit. i'm close, but it is slow going since i have no idea what i am doing. lol. i think i should have things where i want this weekend. the hard part will be waiting and doing it right, instead of rushing when i get home from work. did a little last night that helped, but there is much more needed if i am to go lower. 1/4 inch m ore is what i would like, but with those offsets and the minimal stretch (265 on a 10.5" wheel) it may not work out. i am trying to steer clear of the fender flare that some people do to make fit. want to keep it looking as OEM as possible.
on another note, i did not see any pics of your car from the meet. camera shy? lol.
Old 06-02-10, 01:37 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

theres one pic lol. i rolled out a little early. there should be some good rolling shots from when we caravaned up but the person only posted like 3 of the 100 that he took.

awesome wheels though. i love the jp wheels!
Old 06-02-10, 11:48 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

187 and ryan..
i was intrigued after reading what you guys posted and did little search. "putting spacers underneath the motor mounts will raise the engine and transmission back up so that the axle geometry is correct." is this what you guys are referring to?

someone also mentioned that bad CV joint will cause the same vibration (when accelerate) so the new axle assembly will cure the problem, but i was wondering if this will eventually lead to the same problem. i guess s2k's CV bucket case is plausible also, but i have a doubt since i dropped mine when my car only had 3 or 4k miles and the vibration was present right after my car was dropped.

anyways, appreciate your effort and keep us posted..

btw, *ryan* that looks hot man.. love the wheels and the stance. let us know when you get ur new axles installed.
Old 06-03-10, 03:51 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Originally Posted by stvincent
187 and ryan..
i was intrigued after reading what you guys posted and did little search. "putting spacers underneath the motor mounts will raise the engine and transmission back up so that the axle geometry is correct." is this what you guys are referring to?

someone also mentioned that bad CV joint will cause the same vibration (when accelerate) so the new axle assembly will cure the problem, but i was wondering if this will eventually lead to the same problem. i guess s2k's CV bucket case is plausible also, but i have a doubt since i dropped mine when my car only had 3 or 4k miles and the vibration was present right after my car was dropped.

anyways, appreciate your effort and keep us posted..

btw, *ryan* that looks hot man.. love the wheels and the stance. let us know when you get ur new axles installed.
thanks man
we are referring to a CV axle spacer, much the same as the S2K one that 187 linked. this allows the spider to move out of the groove worn into the basket. i do not believe anyone has entertained the thought about a motor mount spacer. we shall see if the CV axle theory pans out, before we move on to something else. lol. i know my CV boots have been leaking for at least 30k miles or so, so they are due for replacement. as soon as the shop can get the parts in, i will update as to the results. i am really hoping that it fixes the issue.
Old 06-03-10, 04:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

this vibration has nothing to do with the motor. it has to do with the axles.
Old 06-03-10, 03:47 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
this vibration has nothing to do with the motor. it has to do with the axles.
i got that statement from grand prix forum. apparently they have the exact same issue when lowered. i guess their solution is to put spacers underneath the engine mount to raise up the engine along with transmission and differential, so that axle shaft angle can be eased up a bit. i'm not really sure how this will affect the differential and pinion angle though.

about the CV bucket, vibration occurred after the bucket has been worn out. like i mentioned, my car was brand spanking new when i first lowered it. i seriously doubt it was already worn out, and non of my cars i have lowered in the past encountered such issue even after many many miles. i alternate between stock and aftermarket wheels and vibration feels pretty much the same, so i ruled out this possibility long time ago..

i'm almost positive it's angle of axle also, but i just can't seem to find anyone who can provide a logical solution. (asked numerous mechanics and they all told me to go to dealership. ) i don't know, i'm not a mechanic or engineer.. more i'm diggin for info, more i get lost..

*ryan* which side is leaking? and if you don't mind asking how much is the whole assembly cost?
Old 06-04-10, 03:46 AM
ryan78
Instructor

both sides are leaking. i was told around 600 for both.
Old 06-04-10, 04:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stvincent
i got that statement from grand prix forum. apparently they have the exact same issue when lowered. i guess their solution is to put spacers underneath the engine mount to raise up the engine along with transmission and differential, so that axle shaft angle can be eased up a bit. i'm not really sure how this will affect the differential and pinion angle though.

about the CV bucket, vibration occurred after the bucket has been worn out. like i mentioned, my car was brand spanking new when i first lowered it. i seriously doubt it was already worn out, and non of my cars i have lowered in the past encountered such issue even after many many miles. i alternate between stock and aftermarket wheels and vibration feels pretty much the same, so i ruled out this possibility long time ago..

i'm almost positive it's angle of axle also, but i just can't seem to find anyone who can provide a logical solution. (asked numerous mechanics and they all told me to go to dealership. ) i don't know, i'm not a mechanic or engineer.. more i'm diggin for info, more i get lost..

*ryan* which side is leaking? and if you don't mind asking how much is the whole assembly cost?
it has nothing to do with being worn out. the problem is inside the bucket the spyder creates a little groove inside the bucket. when you lower the car, you change the angle of the axle which changes the position of the spyder. doing so, the spyder creates another groove in the bucket. heres the problem. this new groove is so close to the old groove that it constantly slips back and forth causing the vibration.
Old 06-04-10, 05:37 AM
ryan78
Instructor

sounds like a more plausable theory than axle angle to me, but then again, i have no idea what i am doing in this reagard....so what do i know? lol. i am more than happy to be the guinea pig for this though, since my boots are already going. i am stopping by the shop today to pick a few things up, so i will follow up with them as to a possible install date.
Old 06-11-10, 07:37 AM
ING
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can just get a SLIP YOKE kit and it will change your differential angle and cancel your vibration...
Old 06-11-10, 08:00 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

hence the spacers but you need it made for the vehicle
Old 06-16-10, 07:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

any word on the axles?
Old 06-16-10, 08:58 AM
ryan78
Instructor

nope. still waiting. i am about to call them during lunch.
Old 06-16-10, 10:29 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Out!

A guys, looks like this thread is living well. Just wanted yal'll to know that I traded in the GS for a super fast E63 AMG. I'm always happy to help. Club Lexus has been good and good luck! You can always' hit me up here or at www.mbworld.org

Quick Reply: GS AWD (lowered suspension data)