Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS AWD (lowered suspension data)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 06:37 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BKE420
I just had the nf's installed a couple of months ago....

.....Some AWD owners here have experienced some vibrations after install....
I assume you do not have vibration issues. Were you able to align the car to mfg specs?
Old 09-30-09, 11:34 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I assume you do not have vibration issues. Were you able to align the car to mfg specs?
very very minor vibrations at idle. didn't have an alignment done yet. crossing my fingers my new wheels show up tommorrow. then i'll take it in for an alignment.
Old 10-01-09, 08:19 AM
riles200
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKE420
Welcome to CL riles. Alot of AWD owners are going with the Tanabe NF210(RWD), Lexus F-Sport just released some F-Sport springs(RWD), and if you have the flow....BC Coilovers are what some others are installing. Look at Nardeezys post on AWD w/springs. I just had the nf's installed a couple of months ago. Where do you live in WA....I'm in Kirkland. Had springs installed at EAT Motorsports in Kirkland.

Some AWD owners here have experienced some vibrations after install. Have fun with your ride and yes...definately drop it, whether you're rolling stock or aftermarket wheels.
Thanks for the welcome BKE420. I live in the Tacoma area. I was just gonna have Les Schwab do the install once I find a spring that is suitable. They always stand behind their install and products and I have had pretty good luck with them.

Yeah, im thinkin the NF210 are the way to go for me. I really don't wanna spend too much flow on suspension. I just want to get rid of that freaking huge gap at the wheel wells. LOL!! I still wanna get some new shoes for the ride too.

Let me know how your car rides after alignment and the new wheels.

I'm really curious as to what causes this vibration when you lower the AWD...? What is the remedy? Does anybody know?
Old 10-01-09, 08:26 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine is vibrating me to death. lol. of course, i've also dumped the s out of it. i think total drop is close to 3 inches. the only remedy i've been told is to make sure that the car is absolutely level. evidently the drive train does not like any sort of angle. barring that, raise it up a bit. once i have made sure the car is level, i may call BC for more trouble shooting ideas. btw - i have the BC coilovers.
Old 10-01-09, 08:36 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

its the cv axles. i talked to my lexus tech about it. if their at a weird angle, you get the vibration. obviously the more of an angle, the more vibration.
Old 10-01-09, 09:18 AM
ryan78
Instructor

187 - so the only way to ensure no vibration is not to drop it, or is keeping the front level with the rear a possible solution as i was informed? i would think everyone who lowered an AWD would have the same amount of vibration and issues if it was the standard angle of the cv joint causing the vibration. the fact that it's hit or miss is odd to say the least. the fact that the test vehicle did not have any vibrations at all does not hold true to this assesment. it was dropped to a very tight fingers width as well, which is quite close to where i am( roughly 3inches). my cv joints are starting to leak, so maybe a replacement of those as well as tie rods may help. if i find anything of use, i'll certainly keep you informed.
Old 10-01-09, 09:28 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I put my BCs back on and dropped atleast 3 inches. If I measure from the floor to the center of the fender, I'm at 26.5" all the way around. I tried all the different combos: lower front, lower back, level, stock wheels, 20" staggered, 1, 2, 3, inch drops... all the same. All I know is the lower you go the stronger the vibrations.

I can deal with the vibrations at idle. What irritates the hell out of me is the wobbling 5-20 mph.

I had a chance a couple weeks ago to trade my 06 300 AWD into a lexus dealer for a 06 430 RWD for what I owed but chickened out when I was filling out the trade-in document. It asked me if I ever modified the suspension and was really worried that they would find that I cut up all the 4 fenders and the bumper/fender brackets to fit my rims. I'm sure they would come after me even if the trade/sale was complete.

Last edited by telmz1; 10-01-09 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-01-09, 09:31 AM
ryan78
Instructor

if the stock suspension had been restored, you could just say that your wheels were too big and were rubbing, hence the fender modification. you're in nevada, so i would imagine the AWD is not necessary except for freak occurences of weather. trade that sukka in! lol.
oh, i was told to measure from the frame rail, not the fender.
Old 10-01-09, 09:47 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

i brought it to them stock (at the time I was troubleshooting the vibration/wobbling issue). If it was another dealer I wouldn't care because I doubt they would even notice, but considering this was lexus and they were going to CPO it, I'm sure they would find it. Once they did, I'm sure they'll modify the trade in value since dealers take at least a week or so to pay off the balance of a trade in.

Honestly, I didn't even know the car was AWD until I brought it home. Hell I didn't even know Lexus made an AWD GS. I had no intentions of modding this car. I just had to do something when my wife started making fun of the height when it was parked next to her stock IS350.
Old 10-01-09, 09:53 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ryan78
if the stock suspension had been restored, you could just say that your wheels were too big and were rubbing, hence the fender modification. you're in nevada, so i would imagine the AWD is not necessary except for freak occurences of weather. trade that sukka in! lol.
oh, i was told to measure from the frame rail, not the fender.
stupid question: where is the frame rail? I'm assuming where the jacks go?
Old 10-01-09, 10:00 AM
ryan78
Instructor

lol. the AWD on the rear is a big giveaway. i like your wheels, btw. mine is as low as yours is. i'm hoping i can find some sort of answer from BC once i get the car level. i do not understand why some have vibration and some don't when everything is the same from car to car. some people put on the NF210's and have vibrations, but others do not. the drop is the same from car to car as well as the stock AWD ride height. there has to be a reason why the vibrations are not occuring on every altered AWD. once that contributing factor is identified (other than the cv angle), we should be golden.
Old 10-01-09, 11:01 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

yeah - pretty stupid of me. There was like 6 GSs lined up next to each other parked backwards against the wall, all pretty much the same price, and I just picked white because it stood out that evening. Now I can relate to those who meet a girl in the club and regret it the next morning.

Anyways, with the BCs and all the adjustments I made, I know I messed up the spring loads (the gap between the rings are about 1/4-1/2" different on the rear coil overs - but provide the same drop). Do you know how to get it back to factory setting? I read somewhere that you have to loosen the top rings to let the spring loose then tighten it back up - but not sure by how much or even how to measure.
Old 10-01-09, 11:13 AM
ryan78
Instructor

i believe its 3mm past tight. call CM and they will explain how to return to stock preload.

the white is awesome. i like my green though. really diggin the new green i've seen on the IS. kinda like a real strong olive candy metallic.
Old 10-01-09, 06:25 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan78
i believe its 3mm past tight. call CM and they will explain how to return to stock preload.

the white is awesome. i like my green though. really diggin the new green i've seen on the IS. kinda like a real strong olive candy metallic.
It's called Desert Sage. My wife's RX is that color. They discontinued it in 2009. I did not know that GS ever came in any shade of green.
Old 10-02-09, 03:23 AM
ryan78
Instructor

yup - cypress green metallic. kinda goes from grey to olive depending on the light. don't have very good pics, but you can check out my garage for a good idea what it looks like

Quick Reply: GS AWD (lowered suspension data)