Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD & Air Suspension...Ill save you alot of headaches.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 04:36 AM
lextronics
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD & Air Suspension...Ill save you alot of headaches.

I figured i might as well help someone out that has AWD drive and is getting air suspension.

For one the UAS(universal air suspension) kit works for the awd models. Only thing is when the installed the bags we had a problem that the front end was very high probably higher then stock! I was soooo pissed that the time and money was a waste and i wasnt going to be able to have air after everything i went through to find out if it works and install.

We had to flip the bags on top in the front and in the back the bags were on the bottom. Since im not sure exactly what goes where, the bags in the front were on the top of the strut and the back was normal the bags were on the bottom. If you dont understand what im talking about ill take pics when i can. Instead of wasting money and thinking it doesnt work have them installed like that and you will save yourself alot of headaches.

Sorry for the bad description, but i dont want people going through the hassle that i went through to figure it out....
Old 04-24-09, 04:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i have no clue what you mean
Old 04-24-09, 05:20 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

so your advice is to NOT install air on the AWD models?
Old 04-24-09, 05:26 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i dont think thats what hes saying. i believe he may of had the front bags in the rear and the rear bags in the front and it seems like they were installed upside down possibly? i dont know. i never worked with unverisal bags so i dont see how it could be wrong. i would assume they would send bags for the front and a sleeve for the rear and typically the port for the bag is always on the bottom.
Old 04-24-09, 10:31 AM
lextronics
Pole Position

oh man...lol i had a feeling noone would understand, yes i did not help with the way i wrote that...im gonna make a call to find out what exactly got switched around, i probably should have done that before posting just figured if there was someone with awd getting air on they will run into this problem.

installing air suspension is good with awd..sorry for confusing all of you...

to make it easier if anyone with awd is trying to install air suspension...pm me.
Old 04-24-09, 10:36 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i dont think thats what hes saying. i believe he may of had the front bags in the rear and the rear bags in the front and it seems like they were installed upside down possibly? i dont know. i never worked with unverisal bags so i dont see how it could be wrong. i would assume they would send bags for the front and a sleeve for the rear and typically the port for the bag is always on the bottom.
i can't wait for G man to chime in (he always has something funny to say)!
Old 04-24-09, 11:26 AM
lextronics
Pole Position

I musta read your message quickly....so you got jokes?

Listen Im just trying to help out someone in the future, im sure noone understood me, but at least they know they have something to do to make the install work and thats a start at least..heh

Basically the airbags in the front were installed by the top of the wheel well on the top of the strut, instead of the bags in the back, where they are on the bottom of the strut....does that make more sense to anyone.. Thats my last post on this...if anyone is installed air suspension on the AWD just pm me and ill help you out much better then this...

Im just looking out.. 1
Old 04-24-09, 12:41 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lextronics
I musta read your message quickly....so you got jokes?

Listen Im just trying to help out someone in the future, im sure noone understood me, but at least they know they have something to do to make the install work and thats a start at least..heh

Basically the airbags in the front were installed by the top of the wheel well on the top of the strut, instead of the bags in the back, where they are on the bottom of the strut....does that make more sense to anyone.. Thats my last post on this...if anyone is installed air suspension on the AWD just pm me and ill help you out much better then this...

Im just looking out.. 1
no im trying to make sense of what you wrote and possible re-write it for other people that might be reading it.

like i said before, i never worked with universal bags so its hard for me to understand. only air ride kits ive worked with were direct bolt its designed for the car.
Old 04-24-09, 12:41 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

so the bags on the front are supposed to go on the bottom of the front struts? im trying to figure this out as im considering bagging my gs soon. i sent u a pm earlier, but i didnt see this post. so incase u dont see the pm, have u had any of the vibration issues that people have with lowering the awd, and how fast does it raise and lower, i kind of like that the air runner kit is slower than most kits, is this the same way?
Old 04-24-09, 12:57 PM
lextronics
Pole Position

no im trying to make sense of what you wrote and possible re-write it for other people that might be reading it.

like i said before, i never worked with universal bags so its hard for me to understand. only air ride kits ive worked with were direct bolt its designed for the car.
Oh sorry about that, i thought you were being serious when i first read it, but when stormforge said that you always have something funny to say i thought you might have been mocking me. I apologize...and sorry for the confusion on the post.

Originally Posted by Iocca
so the bags on the front are supposed to go on the bottom of the front struts? im trying to figure this out as im considering bagging my gs soon. i sent u a pm earlier, but i didnt see this post. so incase u dont see the pm, have u had any of the vibration issues that people have with lowering the awd, and how fast does it raise and lower, i kind of like that the air runner kit is slower than most kits, is this the same way?

yeah they are supposed to be on the bottom and when we installed it that way the front end hardly lowered, it actually looked higher then the stock springs had the car sitting. So we flipped them and put the bag on the top of the strut and it worked. Another thing to becareful is, i blew my front bags really quickly after the install, because when you ride really low the front bags scrape on part of the suspension. I forget what part but when u get it installed you or the shop that does it will see where it would scrape, and it takes a min to shave it a little bit with a rotary tool or something like that. So they shaved the area a little bit for me and its completely fine now.

Let me know if you need me to get you some more info or if you have any questions feel free to ask. I dont want anyone going through the headaches that i did with it...
Old 04-24-09, 01:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lextronics
Oh sorry about that, i thought you were being serious when i first read it, but when stormforge said that you always have something funny to say i thought you might have been mocking me. I apologize...and sorry for the confusion on the post.
gosh, you need to take a chill pill bro. i was referring to "G Man", another CL member who is quite funny when he tries to interpret the original posting that is garbled and unclear. but clearly you didn't understand what i was trying to say.

by no means was i trying to mock you; everything said is for harmless banter, comraderie. don't take things so seriously, you'll have less stress!
Old 04-24-09, 05:05 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

airbags cause nothin but problems..i tell ya
Old 04-24-09, 05:08 PM
lextronics
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
gosh, you need to take a chill pill bro. i was referring to "G Man", another CL member who is quite funny when he tries to interpret the original posting that is garbled and unclear. but clearly you didn't understand what i was trying to say.

by no means was i trying to mock you; everything said is for harmless banter, comraderie. don't take things so seriously, you'll have less stress!
chill pill... ok

I wasnt saying you were mocking me, i got confused with your message and his message, like i said before thats my bad and its done with. I dont know why we are still talking about it.
Old 04-26-09, 07:31 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what air runner do exactly?? i know they go up and down but do u feel any different in riding???
Old 04-26-09, 03:08 PM
maxtcee
Driver

i think he meant that if you install them the way it is intended the front will be to high so what he or should i say the shop did was install the font bags upside down so that it wouldnt look high in the front and sorry if this isnt correct lextronics but i think were on the same page

Quick Reply: AWD & Air Suspension...Ill save you alot of headaches.