Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

road magnet or tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 02:22 PM
DjVolume
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow road magnet or tanabe

i got an 2008 gs awd anyone knows which once will fit? and where is can get them?
Old 06-23-09, 02:45 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

for better and quicker results, use the search feature.
But ive seen threads with people on tanabes. AWD threads.
Old 06-23-09, 07:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

pm retrospecto (?), he had road magnet...but then switched to tanabe.
Old 06-23-09, 07:29 PM
01a4man
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DjVolume
i got an 2008 gs awd anyone knows which once will fit? and where is can get them?

Neither, BC racing coilovers. You can get them through Circuit Motorsports. If you insist on springs though. I have some brand new Tanabe's in the box and never been opened.
Old 06-23-09, 10:25 PM
DjVolume
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01a4man
Neither, BC racing coilovers. You can get them through Circuit Motorsports. If you insist on springs though. I have some brand new Tanabe's in the box and never been opened.
how much are they?
Old 06-23-09, 10:33 PM
01a4man
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is what? The coilovers are $1,250.00 plus shipping and have been great for me. The springs, PM me if that is what you are asking. Sorry, little confused.
Old 06-23-09, 11:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would pick Tanabe over road magnet. Never really heard of road magnet before 6 months ago.
Old 06-24-09, 04:12 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i just joined CL this month, and from going top to bottom searching for the same answer, i found that the BC coils are the only product designed for dropping the AWD. luckily a group of AWD owners expressed enough interest that BC just designed/produced the 3gs AWD system. you can use any of the RWD springs, but the thread dedicated to the experiences of AWD owners shows that it is hit or miss as to whether or not you will have vibration issues. by all reports the coilovers ride great as they are adjustable, but they are 1k more expensive. circuit motorsports carries these; i should have mine in by the second week in july. i will post a review at that point. i really did not want to spend the kind of money that coilovers cost (now i will not be doing a stereo swap anytime soon), but if you are going to do it, you might as well do it right. to me the chace of vibration and loss of ride quality is not worth saving a few $$, but to each his own. hope this helps
Old 06-24-09, 05:24 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

i was under the impression that the NF210s are as close to stock ride quality as you will get with lowering devices. do the BC coilovers match that ride quality, without vibration issues? assuming you don't go lower than the NFs...in terms of ride quality between the two.
Old 06-24-09, 05:53 AM
ryan78
Instructor

from all i have read and been told by CM, the BC coilovers are the best and closest to stock ride you will find aftermarket. of course, they are trying to sell the product, so they have to say that. lol. that being said, given the fact that both spring and dampening are adjustable, the ride will be better that springs alone. if you drop a car on stock shocks, the shocks can no longer work as designed (they are compressed, so travel is reduced). the ride will suffer no matter how slight. since the dampening is adjustable, you can compensate for this with the coilovers. there is a thread that discusses users' results with the tanabe and tein springs on the AWD 3GS. search AWD and you should find it. some have no problems, others have various amounts of vibration. the front strut/shock setup is different on the AWD due to the drivetrain. the aftermarket springs for the 3GS are designed for RWD, which evidently leads to that vibration. it's amazing what you learn on these forums. lol. as i posted above, i decided to go with the coilovers from reading user reviews on coilovers for their RWD, and spring reviews for their AWD. coils just seem to offer the best ride and stance due to the adjustability. i will know for certain when i install in a few weeks. sorry for the long post. someone who has coilovers - such at i8abmr - may be better suited to let you know ride quality and performance. this forum is great; the people here have tons of knowledge and are very helpful and friendly about sharing. happy modding.
- if i am incorrect about anything, please jump up and correct. certainly do not want to give out missinformation.
Old 06-24-09, 06:07 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

no one can comment on the BC coilovers because no one has them installed yet except for 01man. his was the test car and prototype car. he said he has driving the car a few times and the ride was not as bad as he intended and is pretty close to the stock lexus ride quality. I can comment this time next week as im hoping to have mine here by this weekend and i should have them installed monday night.

Like mentioned above though with the adjustment of the springs and the 30 way damping of the strut you can make for a great ride. its just a lot of trial and error til you find the correct setting.
Old 06-24-09, 06:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

so on coilovers, can the height and dampening be adjusted after they have been installed? i'm a little confused on how one could adjust the height of the car with the full weight of the car on the springs.

i'm still debating...it's down to the Tanabes or the BC coilovers...maybe even the F-Sport springs...just need more real world experience from the coilovers and the f-sport springs to make my decision.
Old 06-24-09, 06:22 AM
ryan78
Instructor

yes - please keep us posted after the install. speaking with CM, they said start at 10 to 12 up front and 6 to 8 in the rear for a close to stock ride. let us know what you find to be best for your setup. i'm out of town this weekend, and i don't think i will be able to convince my mechanic to work on the weekend of the 4th. lol. i'm hoping to have mine in on the 11th. can't wait...
Old 06-24-09, 06:36 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
so on coilovers, can the height and dampening be adjusted after they have been installed? i'm a little confused on how one could adjust the height of the car with the full weight of the car on the springs.

i'm still debating...it's down to the Tanabes or the BC coilovers...maybe even the F-Sport springs...just need more real world experience from the coilovers and the f-sport springs to make my decision.
you need to jack the car up to take the weight of the wheel. the have an adjustable spring perch thats can move up and down a threaded sleeve which is what give you the adjustable height.

Originally Posted by ryan78
yes - please keep us posted after the install. speaking with CM, they said start at 10 to 12 up front and 6 to 8 in the rear for a close to stock ride. let us know what you find to be best for your setup. i'm out of town this weekend, and i don't think i will be able to convince my mechanic to work on the weekend of the 4th. lol. i'm hoping to have mine in on the 11th. can't wait...
yea ill have to test it out a bit. i saw in the IS forum the AWD owns with the same coils recommened 5 in the front and 3 in the rear. i would assume the GS should be set a little stiffer since our cars are heavier.
Old 06-24-09, 08:03 AM
ryan78
Instructor

lol - just a little bit heavier, yes. are the f-sport designed for the AWD? still a very conservative drop from what i've read.
jtrue - as stated, to adjust springs there cannot be load on the tires. the dampening can be adjusted up front by removing the plastic covers - top of the coils are right there at the strut tower. you will need to purchase extensions for the rear. this allows you to mount the adjustment somewhere in the trunk.

Quick Reply: road magnet or tanabe