Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Coilovers for AWD GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 12:07 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

$125 is a good price. I paid $250 but I felt it was well worth it as they spent more time trying to get the drop right and even. I think they lifted the thing up and down about 10 times until they got it perfect. This guy wanted the measurements to be perfect down to the cm even after he test drove it.

I raised mine up about another inch which basically equates to a Tanabe NF210 or maybe Fsport drop and still have the vibrations between 10-20 mph. It annoys the hell out of me, especially in rush hour traffic. I find myself punching it when i take off so I can get to the 25 mph to bypass the vibrations.

However, the ride is a lot better than when I was on stock struts and DF210s. Bumps are no longer painful or shocking...and I'm not bouncing around like a civic.

Be sure to get the extenders from Tristan!
Old 07-16-09, 12:32 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont think it was the fact of being too low as it was the fact the front being much lower than the rear. i believe as long as you have the car leveled out very closely, you wont get vibrations. now im not sure if thats 100% true but im pretty sure.
Old 07-16-09, 01:01 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the eff. we need to figure out this vibration. I dont wanna spend $1500 just to lower my car and make it vibrate.
Old 07-16-09, 01:33 PM
Evel
Driver

IOCCA, I agree with you 100%! IMO, C-MS on behalf of BC Racing needs to be chiming in on this thread communicating an explanation on what's causing the vibration experienced by everyone at various levels & dampening settings; & the optimal setting they identified during development & testing that ELIMINATED vibration. For $1250-$1500 (whatever the cost + labor + alignment) you should expect a ride experience without vibration.
Old 07-16-09, 05:15 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BCR tested these out very thoroughly on the AWD GS they had, the slight vibrations they had initially went away after only driving the vehicle around for about a week. They also tested these out with a forum members (laobob) on an AWD IS, and he was slammed and he had no issues. So it is very odd and frustrating that some of you are having vibration issues and some aren't.

The problem obviously isn't with the coilovers themselves, but with the design of the stock suspension geometry and axles. It most likely has to do with the angle of the axles in relation to the suspension and the driveline itself. I am not sure if the rear needs to be level, lower, or high than the front to be ideal for the driveline angle.

If you are experiencing slight vibrations I would drive around for 1-3 weeks and see if it goes away after the suspension settles. If that doesn't do it then try raising the car up all around. Then try raising the rear more than the front, or vice-versa. Sometimes when installing aftermarket stuff on a unique vehicle a little trial and error needs to be done. Also check and make sure everything is 100% re-installed correctly and tight, and make sure the axles are seated properly, even a mm out of its socket and an axle can cause vibrations.

You also have to remember, aftermarket coilovers will result in a little more NVH. The stock suspension is pretty soft and has a hundred little rubber bushings in it which soak up vibrations, but also give you that floaty, disconnected feel. I think a little more noise, road feel, vibration is ok for a nice set of coilovers and a drop. But If you can't deal with a little more NVH and aren't satisfied we will do what we can to make you satisifed
Old 07-16-09, 06:03 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
BCR tested these out very thoroughly on the AWD GS they had, the slight vibrations they had initially went away after only driving the vehicle around for about a week. They also tested these out with a forum members (laobob) on an AWD IS, and he was slammed and he had no issues. So it is very odd and frustrating that some of you are having vibration issues and some aren't.

The problem obviously isn't with the coilovers themselves, but with the design of the stock suspension geometry and axles. It most likely has to do with the angle of the axles in relation to the suspension and the driveline itself. I am not sure if the rear needs to be level, lower, or high than the front to be ideal for the driveline angle.

If you are experiencing slight vibrations I would drive around for 1-3 weeks and see if it goes away after the suspension settles. If that doesn't do it then try raising the car up all around. Then try raising the rear more than the front, or vice-versa. Sometimes when installing aftermarket stuff on a unique vehicle a little trial and error needs to be done. Also check and make sure everything is 100% re-installed correctly and tight, and make sure the axles are seated properly, even a mm out of its socket and an axle can cause vibrations.

You also have to remember, aftermarket coilovers will result in a little more NVH. The stock suspension is pretty soft and has a hundred little rubber bushings in it which soak up vibrations, but also give you that floaty, disconnected feel. I think a little more noise, road feel, vibration is ok for a nice set of coilovers and a drop. But If you can't deal with a little more NVH and aren't satisfied we will do what we can to make you satisifed
thats what im talking about!
Old 07-17-09, 04:32 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to get the extenders from Tristan!

yes - i have those! i'm glad CM posted the above. i just put on my wheels last saturday - 20 x 8.5 and 20 x 10, and have vibration only at certain speeds when i let off of the gas only. conferring with my shop, we think that this is probably due to either engine mounts or axle vibration. given the issues everyone has been having and posting, one could...*** u me...that the issues lies in the axle angle. i will spend the day troubleshooting when we install to see what setup works best on my end and post; hopefully it will help those who install in the future. i would ask if anyone finds an optimal setup for their application to post so others can benefit. i am sure it will differ for each car, but it is always good to have a starting point. if CM could chime in on BC's behalf with what info they may have to help, that would be fantastic as well. many thanks to CM and BC for getting us AWD owners a product specifically designed for our cars. hopefully with our collective troubleshooting/experiences, we can elimintate the vibrations' concern that turned us away from RWD springs. thanks to everyone who has posted their instillation experiences to this point as well. good stuff.
Old 07-17-09, 04:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea thats the first thing i was lead to when i looked at my car was the angle of the axle. it had to come down to connect to the suspension so it had a good slope to it. i believe if you level the axle out, all the vibrations will go away.
Old 07-17-09, 09:15 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

IXI187IXI how low are you and what are your dampening settings?
Old 07-17-09, 09:59 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i havent measured it yet. but its pretty low.

my dampening is set to 12 up front and 8 in the rear.
Old 07-17-09, 10:28 AM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i havent measured it yet. but its pretty low.

my dampening is set to 12 up front and 8 in the rear.
lets see some pics!
Old 07-17-09, 10:37 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryan - So far I have posted what we know and what BCR has told us.

BCR didn't have to do much of any troubleshooting with the suspension and vibrations on the test GS AWD they had. The vibrations simply went away after less than a week of normal driving. They chalked it up to suspension settling, especially since the IS AWD's were having no issues.

When I personally went over to BCR and drove the GS for myself, it was a ssmooooth as could be.

Unfortunately sometimes small problems arise once a few people get them on and on the streets.

We are definitely here to help in any way we can. We will tell you what we know, and if it does come down to an ideal suspension setup, and somebody figures it out we will gladly post the figures.
Old 07-17-09, 10:57 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Ryan - So far I have posted what we know and what BCR has told us.

BCR didn't have to do much of any troubleshooting with the suspension and vibrations on the test GS AWD they had. The vibrations simply went away after less than a week of normal driving. They chalked it up to suspension settling, especially since the IS AWD's were having no issues.

When I personally went over to BCR and drove the GS for myself, it was a ssmooooth as could be.

Unfortunately sometimes small problems arise once a few people get them on and on the streets.

We are definitely here to help in any way we can. We will tell you what we know, and if it does come down to an ideal suspension setup, and somebody figures it out we will gladly post the figures.
Thank you for your support CircuitMS!

For the record - these BC Coilovers did NOT cause the vibration issues that I am having. I had these when I had Tanabe DF210s. I had the car at stock height for like 3 days so I'm not sure if I had the vibrations then. The issues I am having (vibrations during 10-20 mph) seem to be hit or miss with the various GS and IS AWD cars out there. I don't have vibrations when driving at high speeds or letting go of the gas (unless its between 10-20 mph).

Other than the vibrations - these coilovers ride great! I was really suffering when I was on the DF210s.

Now if someone can educate me on the 'rebuilding' of these such as when to expect or what the symptoms are that its time to.
Old 07-17-09, 11:43 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CM - you guys have been extremely helpfull from my intitial order right on up to this point. many thanks for that, and for the continued support while we figure this out.
Old 07-17-09, 12:34 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iocca
lets see some pics!

Quick Reply: Coilovers for AWD GS350?