Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 11:43 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ From what I am told from the 2gen GS owners this was an issue for them. They have aftermarket end-links to choose from. We dont have this option at this time so yes this could be an issue for some.

Makes sense to me if you see the size of the F-Sport compared to OEM. Those end-links where not designed with the F-Sport in mind.
if the end-links were not designed with f-sport in mind, does changing the existing end-links to new ones solve the problem?

edit:
Originally Posted by Leeladisky
I have these on my 460 now, and I have a terrible knock. In the other thread, I have posted that the dealer cannot rectify my problem and claim it isn't a 460 part and LEXUS corporate has said the same thing... this leads me to believe that the warranty is actually void if anything should go wrong. My dealer doesn't want to spend any more time troubleshooting the issue, and I cannot blame them, however, I too would like to know if those WITHOUT noise installed with extra grease in the bushings!!!
maybe i'm not understanding the f-sport warranty here...but doesn't the warranty for f-sport provide for balance of factory warranty if installed by an authorized lexus dealer? if this is true, your dealer must spend more time to fix and troubleshoot this knocking issue! you are replacing oem sways with oem f-sport sways. warranty carries over. if your sways were not installed properly, it's an installation issue. take your car back and biatch about it. you might need to replace end-links as passnu2 suggested, but that's a different matter.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-21-09 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

fsport sways are NOT listed for 430 and 460, so technically dealership doesn't guarantee it won't have any problem on those cars. if they have problem on 350 then yeah, they need to fix.

i am not sure replacing the endlinks will help much neither. it might be the weak part, but i don't think it's a huge wear/tear item with stock sways to the point that they need replacement. plus if that's really the case, then replacing it won't fix the problem coz' they will wear out even faster

2gs sway bar end links are also very thin, but that was never a problem for any aftermarket sways. in fact it's a good thing coz' if stress is too much, endlinks should be the first to break (rather than breaking the sways or tearing the brackets / bushings. unless the endlinks are put in an awkward position with the new sways?

do the fsport sways have exact same shape / length as the stock ones (i know thickness is different)?
Old 07-21-09, 01:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

roflmao! i didn't realize the GS460 wasn't listed.
Old 07-21-09, 01:54 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
do the fsport sways have exact same shape / length as the stock ones (i know thickness is different)?
Has anyone checked the distance between the bushing stops on the F-sport versus the stock on the front bar? If there's a gap between the bushing and the stop (on the bar, when installed), then there may be some side to side movement, causing knocking (between the bushing and stop).

Last edited by wingster; 07-21-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 04:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i am not sure replacing the endlinks will help much neither. it might be the weak part, but i don't think it's a huge wear/tear item with stock sways to the point that they need replacement. plus if that's really the case, then replacing it won't fix the problem coz' they will wear out even faster
How does this make sense that new ones will wear faster then the old ones that are on the car Every tech I have talked to said you "should" replace and not reuse end links even if you where to replace the OEM sway bars. I am going by what the guys I trust have told me and dont steer me in the wrong direction. I am just sharing. No one needs to do as I am

2gs sway bar end links are also very thin, but that was never a problem for any aftermarket sways. in fact it's a good thing coz' if stress is too much, endlinks should be the first to break (rather than breaking the sways or tearing the brackets / bushings. unless the endlinks are put in an awkward position with the new sways?
I was told the opposite from local 2gen GS owners who had nothing but problems with the OEM end-links and the aftermarket sway bars

Maybe due to the climate and weather we have and the roads in the midwest I am going by what the locals have experienced. I would rather play it safe and just start fresh. I also have an 06 model year so IMO better to spend a few dollars and do it right. They are not that expensive

I hope to have mine soon so I can finish my install. Crossing my fingers to no problems
Old 07-21-09, 04:37 PM
LexFather

Now I wonder are the endlinks the same on all GSs are are they different?
Old 07-21-09, 05:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ I was told they are not but we all know there is one way to find out just like if these would work on other models. I had a few looking for me and not one had any one confirm they where the same.

If someone can confirm please post back. I personally would like to upgrade them down the road if this is an option. I will wait now that I have new OEM ones until I have an issue.
Old 07-21-09, 05:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well if the end links are different between 430/460 and 350 then there is a different part number. that should be easy enough to check.

the endlinks are attached to the sways with just bolts, nothing else. the endlinks are just pieces of metals and the "joint" is bushing type with lubricant inside. all attachment point are metal. if something is to be replaced, it should be the bolts.

if the stock endlinks should be replaced, then that means the bushing lubricant is "worn" and might be "torn/leaking", thus require replacement. if stock sways can make that happens, then aftermarket sways will only put more stress on the endlinks

i don't know about others, but i have never had any problems with stock endlinks on my gs400, is300, and sc430. on the 2gs, what problems do people have? noise? i wasn't aware of that with trd or daizen sways. if they have problems with the endlinks breaking, that's a different issue. that's the stress problem i mentioned above. my 98 gs400 with trd and later daizen sways i never had to replace endlinks when i sold the car 10 yrs later at 90k miles

well no one knows the reason yet, so it's good with all the information exchange. ultimately we just want to find out why
Old 07-21-09, 10:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am still not having any issues at all with clunking sound. I have read this thread before and because of that I have really been listening and I hear nothing. I still think its an install issue not a parts issue. Lexus designed these sway bars for our car. I am sure they designed them well enough and I am sure they were aware of what end links were to be used. I say check the install. I called my service tech today to ask him if there was anything that he did that was special and I was told he will be on vacation for 2 weeks
Old 07-22-09, 05:10 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

well if the end links are different between 430/460 and 350 then there is a different part number. that should be easy enough to check.

the endlinks are attached to the sways with just bolts, nothing else. the endlinks are just pieces of metals and the "joint" is bushing type with lubricant inside. all attachment point are metal. if something is to be replaced, it should be the bolts.

if the stock endlinks should be replaced, then that means the bushing lubricant is "worn" and might be "torn/leaking", thus require replacement. if stock sways can make that happens, then aftermarket sways will only put more stress on the endlinks

i don't know about others, but i have never had any problems with stock endlinks on my gs400, is300, and sc430. on the 2gs, what problems do people have? noise? i wasn't aware of that with trd or daizen sways. if they have problems with the endlinks breaking, that's a different issue. that's the stress problem i mentioned above. my 98 gs400 with trd and later daizen sways i never had to replace endlinks when i sold the car 10 yrs later at 90k miles

well no one knows the reason yet, so it's good with all the information exchange. ultimately we just want to find out why
I was told with both the sways you mentioned the end links break over time. I believe Toms and TRD make aftermarket ones for the 2gen GS...of course nothing for the 3gen GS

Well I dont drive my car that much so I dont anticipate any issues and staring off with a fresh part vs. the old rusty part thats been on my car IMO can only help me out in the long run. I hope to get the parts from Sewell today so I can lift the car. I will install the rear only and give it a week to see if I have any noises. Then I will go back and do the front to see if I get any noise and this way I can pinpoint where its coming from.
Old 07-22-09, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I was told with both the sways you mentioned the end links break over time. I believe Toms and TRD make aftermarket ones for the 2gen GS...of course nothing for the 3gen GS

Well I dont drive my car that much so I dont anticipate any issues and staring off with a fresh part vs. the old rusty part thats been on my car IMO can only help me out in the long run. I hope to get the parts from Sewell today so I can lift the car. I will install the rear only and give it a week to see if I have any noises. Then I will go back and do the front to see if I get any noise and this way I can pinpoint where its coming from.
i agree that on the 2gs some endlinks break coz' the sways are too aggressive putting too much stress on the endlinks. in fact the trd sways were so stiff that they actually affected the ride quality. hopefully the fsport sways are designed better and work better with the stock endlinks
Old 07-22-09, 04:30 PM
wingster
Driver

Okay, I think I found the problem.
I crawled unter the car today to investigate, and I found that there is play between the bushing stops in the front bar. I can actually pull and push the sway bar from side to side and cause a thumping noise. On my car there's a gap of approximately 1/8" between the stop and the bushing (when pulled to one side).

There's either a manufacturing problem with the sway bar or the bushings are too narrow.

I tried resetting (repositioning) the bushings, but they go back to the same position.
I also tried loosening the entire bushing bracket and reposition, but there is no play.
So, for the time being, on one side, I placed a wire tie between the stop and the bushing.
It's not making any noises right now, but it's warm outside... We'll see in the morning.

I think we need Lexus to revise the bushings (make them wider). Or find some kind of washer to place between the stop and the bushing, to take up the slack.

If anyone has any ideas, please chime in.

Last edited by wingster; 07-22-09 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 05:03 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wingster
I crawled unter the car today to investigate, and I found that there is play between the bushing stops in the front bar. I can actually pull and push the sway bar from side to side and cause a thumping noise. On my car there's a gap of approximately 1/8" between the stop and the bushing (when pulled to one side).

There's either a manufacturing problem with the sway bar or the bushings are too narrow.

I tried resetting (repositioning) the bushings, but they go back to the same position.
I also tried loosening the entire bushing bracket and reposition, but there is no play.
So, for the time being, on one side, I placed a wire tie between the stop and the bushing.
It's not making any noises right now, but it's warm outside... We'll see in the morning.

I think we need Lexus to revise the bushings (make them wider). Or find some kind of washer to place between the stop and the bushing, to take up the slack.

If that's the case, great... I'm asking my dealer to check now as well to see if I have the play in my 460. We'll be waiting forever, but that's a great step in the right direction.
Old 07-22-09, 05:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wingster

I know its a tight fit but can you take some pics please. Also can you tell what direction the busing is facing?

here is a pic of the bushing for the front. Its says that its important to make sure the open end is facing towards the front of the car. Is there anyway you can tell with it installed they placed it in the correct direction?

Old 07-22-09, 05:29 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a tight fit but can you take some pics please. Also can you tell what direction the busing is facing?

here is a pic of the bushing for the front. Its says that its important to make sure the open end is facing towards the front of the car. Is there anyway you can tell with it installed they placed it in the correct direction?

Yes, you can tell the orientation. The seam is visible and can be felt as well. My crack is facing forward (did I just say that?) and I have the clunking problem... only after just starting the car though. Once I've driven a bit, it goes away for the most part. I just tried to push/pull the sway side to side, but it doesn't, but I just got home from my commute. I can still make it clunk on a bump in my driveway though even at the end of my commute.

Good clue wingster! I'm thinking you have to pull off the engine cover to see the gap, right?

Quick Reply: Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)