Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 05:46 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I made sure the slit is facing forward. As Sprintz mentioned you can feel it.

Yes, you need to remove the cover to see the gap.

I'm stupid, I should have taken pictures. The cover is back on.

Let me see what I can do.

Passnu2: If I e-mail the pictures to you can you post them?
Old 07-22-09, 06:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wingster

Passnu2: If I e-mail the pictures to you can you post them?
Yes I will PM you my email
Old 07-22-09, 06:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Pictures from wingster (Thank you!!)

Driver side

Passenger side
Old 07-22-09, 06:48 PM
wingster
Driver

Passnu2: Thank you... for posting the picture for me.

Disclaimer: Please do not copy my wire tie idea for a temporary fix... I'm not responsible for any damages or any void in warranty.

Without the wire tie there, the bar slides side to side causing knocking noises.

I hope this helps find a solution.

Last edited by wingster; 07-23-09 at 11:44 AM. Reason: corrected the spelling of warranty
Old 07-22-09, 06:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Your welcome and thanks for taking the time to take pics and share with the rest of us.

I got an email today that Sewell shipped my end links fedex today so I hope to have them this weekend to dig in and see what I can find out myself.
Old 07-22-09, 07:40 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Your welcome and thanks for taking the time to take pics and share with the rest of us.

I got an email today that Sewell shipped my end links fedex today so I hope to have them this weekend to dig in and see what I can find out myself.
Mike,
Please observe the gap between the bush stopper and the bushing on the stock front sway before you disassemble... I'm curious if the stock sways have this gap designed in, or if this is an error (design difference?) on the F-sport sway design.

I took pix of the inner surface of the stock bushings that were removed from my car. Based on the wear, I'm thinking there wasn't a gap, but it was snug. It's a stretch, but it would explain why the stock sways wouldn't knock.
Old 07-22-09, 08:08 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Passnu2: Thank you... for posting the picture for me.

Disclaimer: Please do not copy my wire tie idea for a temporary fix... I'm not responsible for any damages or any void in warrantee.

Without the wire tie there, the bar slides side to side causing knocking noises.

I hope this helps find a solution.
Is the knock gone with your fix??? I want to point my dealer in this direction...

Lee
Old 07-22-09, 08:26 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wingster: This has GOT to be what the noise is!!! Now, after cooling down I get nearly 1/4" of play in my front sway as well: grab hold where the links are and tug back and forth: THAT is the noise I hear. When warmed up, gets stiffer (less knocking).

Mike, your front F-sport sway is in your possession, right? Could you please measure the distance between the inner surface of the bush stoppers? Within ~1/32 of an inch, I get 27 & 7/8" on the OEM sway removed from my 07 430.

Also part of the equation, the bushing width. Pix below illustrates how I measured width (both sides are basically the same). Red arrows indicate surfaces on which the width of the bushing was measured: 2.07 to 2.10" Can someone get a measurement of the F-Sport bushing as well (Mike?). One more thing: the front OEM bushings are symmetric (center of bushing to left or right is same).
Thanks!

Last edited by sprintz; 07-22-09 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added bushing mmt.
Old 07-22-09, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Is the knock gone with your fix??? I want to point my dealer in this direction...

Lee
yes, that's what i was going to ask. with the zip tie, does it take care of the noise problem? if it does, then i guess that's a very good hint what might be the problem
Old 07-22-09, 08:54 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, that's what i was going to ask. with the zip tie, does it take care of the noise problem? if it does, then i guess that's a very good hint what might be the problem
I don't want to give anyone false hopes.

Yes for now... But remember some of us only experienced the knocking noises when it was cooler outside. I will know in the morning. And even with that, it may be a couple of weeks before I can say it solved it. It took about week for the initial knocking noises to surface for me.
Old 07-22-09, 08:57 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by sprintz
Mike,
Please observe the gap between the bush stopper and the bushing on the stock front sway before you disassemble... I'm curious if the stock sways have this gap designed in, or if this is an error (design difference?) on the F-sport sway design.

I took pix of the inner surface of the stock bushings that were removed from my car. Based on the wear, I'm thinking there wasn't a gap, but it was snug. It's a stretch, but it would explain why the stock sways wouldn't knock.
Sprintz: I have those same marks on my stock bushings, less the rust. It does look like there was constant contact between the bushing and the bushing stops.

I also notice that the new bushings were a little softer. I was able to push and move the bushing a little when it is installed.

Last edited by wingster; 07-23-09 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't want to give anyone false hopes.

Yes for now... But remember some of us only experienced the knocking noises when it was cooler outside. I will know in the morning. And even with that, it may be a couple of weeks before I can say it solved it. It took about week for the initial knocking noises to surface for me.
point taken and i agree it needs more testing to see if that "fixes" anything. please do keep us posted
Old 07-23-09, 04:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sprintz
Wingster: This has GOT to be what the noise is!!! Now, after cooling down I get nearly 1/4" of play in my front sway as well: grab hold where the links are and tug back and forth: THAT is the noise I hear. When warmed up, gets stiffer (less knocking).

Mike, your front F-sport sway is in your possession, right? Could you please measure the distance between the inner surface of the bush stoppers? Within ~1/32 of an inch, I get 27 & 7/8" on the OEM sway removed from my 07 430.

Also part of the equation, the bushing width. Pix below illustrates how I measured width (both sides are basically the same). Red arrows indicate surfaces on which the width of the bushing was measured: 2.07 to 2.10" Can someone get a measurement of the F-Sport bushing as well (Mike?). One more thing: the front OEM bushings are symmetric (center of bushing to left or right is same).
Thanks!

I can measure them tonight when I get home, I have all the stuff loose so let me know and I will measure it up

I can tell you the busings look different. I have mine above the the surface is flat. The OEM ones that you have here in the pic show its a little raised at the one end anyway?? Looks like the bushings are mfg wrong from your pics and mine...

Old 07-23-09, 10:48 AM
wingster
Driver

The wire tie helped alot. I'm happy to report so far that there is less noise. Driving normally the noise is gone when hitting bumps. However, when I pushed the car hard in a turn, once I recover there is a very very slight bump.

I think a better temporary fix may be a nylon washer with the right thickness and diameter inserted between the bushing stops and bushings on both the diver and passenger sides.

Disclaimer: I don't recomend any temporary fixes, we need Lexus to fix this.

I think a permanent fix is to design new bushings with beefier sides:

1. to fill the gap, and
2. to stiffen up the bushing from side to side movements when the bushing stops are pushing against the bushings during a hard turn. (the bushing does deform a little, where the slit is located)

Last edited by wingster; 07-23-09 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 04:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I measure 28" with a tape measure but it may be slightly off...

Front bushing measures 1-11/16" L / 2-1/16" W

seems to be the same. I will measure the OEM bar to make sure they measure the same.

Quick Reply: Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)