Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 10:20 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a possibility of 2 revisions of RWD Front F-Sport Sway Bar

I took the engine cover off and made side-by-side measurements of stock vs. F-sport sway/bushings. In addition to revealing why the gap is there, it also revealed that I unexpectedly have a different F-sport front sway than Mike has, assuming he also got the RWD version for his 430. Perhaps those without clunking have the version that Mike has(?)

1. Bushing width (measuring parallel to the sway).
- My Stock: 2.1".
- My F-sport: 1.75" (if not a little less)
- Mike's F-sport: ~2"

2. Lexus almost made up this difference between my stock & F-sport with the placement of the bush stoppers. What really matters is the distance between the surface of the bush stopper that touches the bushing (unlike how I was measuring last night).
- My Stock: 28.25"
- My F-sport: 28.5"
- Mike's F-sport: 28.25" (assuming his F-sport flanges are ~1/8" like mine)

This explains 0.1" (~1/8") of the gap that I got going from stock to F-sport.

Bottom line: Mike's looks more like OEM. Mine is clearly different. WFT. Here's all the stuff off my packaging for what it's worth. It's interesting that mine says "2WD" and not "RWD":

Old 07-23-09, 10:35 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprintz
I took the engine cover off and made side-by-side measurements of stock vs. F-sport sway/bushings. In addition to revealing why the gap is there, it also revealed that I unexpectedly have a different F-sport front sway than Mike has, assuming he also got the RWD version for his 430. Perhaps those without clunking have the version that Mike has(?)

2. Lexus almost made up this difference between my stock & F-sport with the placement of the bush stoppers. What really matters is the distance between the surface of the bush stopper that touches the bushing (unlike how I was measuring last night).

Bottom line: Mike's looks more like OEM. Mine is clearly different. WFT. Here's all the stuff off my packaging for what it's worth. It's interesting that mine says "2WD" and not "RWD":

My markings on the box are exactly the same as yours. "2WD GS"
The Date on my box is 6/29/2009.
And I have stickers with leeladisky's name on it (I think this box was reserved for him, but got sent to me).
So, what does this mean? They sent us the wrong bar?
Have you guys measured the diameter of the bar?

Last edited by wingster; 07-24-09 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 11:34 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wingster
My markings on the box are exactly the same as yours. "2WD GS"
The Date on my box is 6/29/2009.
And I have stickers with leelidisky's name on it (I think this box was reserved for him, but got sent to me).
So, what does this mean? They sent us the wrong bar?
Have you guys measured the diameter of the bar?
Wingster, what Year/Vehicle do you have? I'm gonna flip my lid ;-)... I cannot compare, I don't have my original box, but I do recall my box also said 2WD GS. I think we're ok...unless these were NOT actually for 2WD vehicles, and actually for the AWD.

Lee
Old 07-24-09, 08:07 AM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
Wingster, what Year/Vehicle do you have? I'm gonna flip my lid ;-)... I cannot compare, I don't have my original box, but I do recall my box also said 2WD GS. I think we're ok...unless these were NOT actually for 2WD vehicles, and actually for the AWD.

Lee
2007 GS350 RWD. No sure where Sprintz was going with that... did Passnu2 have a box labeled "RWD" instead of "2WD"? Should be the same right? It's not like there's a Front wheel drive version of the GS.
Old 07-24-09, 08:50 AM
sprintz
Rookie

Originally Posted by wingster
2007 GS350 RWD. No sure where Sprintz was going with that... did Passnu2 have a box labeled "RWD" instead of "2WD"? Should be the same right? It's not like there's a Front wheel drive version of the GS.
I'm just trying to reconcile why my part's are different than Mike's, thinking that his is a newer rev. I though maybe older rev's of part were listed as "2WD" and newer part (as advertised on fsport.com) perhaps refered to it as "RWD".
Old 07-24-09, 09:23 AM
sprintz
Rookie

Darrel at Sewell has set me up for an appointment with Sewell service on Monday to further investigate, get measurements (gap, part differences, etc.) so that he can officially go to Lexus Corporate. He's even hooking me up with a loaner, and my install was done at Park Place!!! (he said he's going to "fix" the fact that Sewell quoted my 5 benjamins to do the sway install as well.)
Darrel's got some throw! Thanks dude!
Old 07-24-09, 09:26 AM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Darrel at Sewell has set me up for an appointment with Sewell service on Monday to further investigate, get measurements (gap, part differences, etc.) so that he can officially go to Lexus Corporate. He's even hooking me up with a loaner, and my install was done at Park Place!!! (he said he's going to "fix" the fact that Sewell quoted my 5 benjamins to do the sway install as well.)
Let me agree that Darrel is the man... I will order ALL my OEM mods/accessories from him from now on, just based upon the level of service I can get from him and his team. I almost wish I lived in Dallas so that I could buy from him...

And, on an unrelated note, he's got a wicked sense of humor - he had me CTFU! Which just shows he's a pleasant guy to deal with... Props to Darrel and Sewell!

L
Old 07-24-09, 10:49 AM
wingster
Driver

I hope they don't forget the people who installed the swaybars on their own and helped with some of the research!

Please keep us posted.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by wingster; 07-24-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 03:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Trust me Darrel wont. He is great to work with...my end links made it today so I will do mine this Sunday
Old 07-24-09, 05:45 PM
dlieu8989
Rookie

Installed F-Sport sways on my 06 GS430. No thumping or knocking yet. Although I noticed that there was NO gap between the stopper and the bushing on either side as opposed to the other pics I saw on here. I did not lube the bushings and the endlink nuts were tight on the control arm. The GS handles so much better with these sways. Money well spent!
Old 07-25-09, 04:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

changed the oil on the wifes car and I used the box these where shipped in

Noticed the sticker on the box and its the same and also the same part #. Doesnt say anything about RWD on mine either.
Old 07-25-09, 09:02 PM
LexFather

So we need a GB on Lexus lube

Great work gang!
Old 07-25-09, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I kept saying all along that this had to be due to an install issue. This is Lexus we are talking about guys. I am just glad it seems like this can be worked out finally so that many more members can enjoy the benefit of sway bar upgrades
Old 07-25-09, 10:48 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I kept saying all along that this had to be due to an install issue. This is Lexus we are talking about guys. I am just glad it seems like this can be worked out finally so that many more members can enjoy the benefit of sway bar upgrades
Not following - this still appears to be a Lexus issue... did the wrong parts get put in the boxes? Everyone with issues seems to have 2WD on the box... I wonder if we accidentally somehow got parts destined for rest of world? Somebody clue me in - this isn't an install issue, right? Unless, of course we mean that a modification to the install can correct it....
Old 07-26-09, 10:19 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Lee,
I would have to agree with you, this has not been an installation issue. Reading all the post everyone installed it according to the instructions (dealer or private install) the difference has been in the bushings supplied which is parts related not install. According to someone who posted with no noise there was no gap between the bushing and stops on his car, which would bring us to the question you asked "did lexus send out wrong parts"?. It amazes me that Lexus engineering does not know the exact dimensions of each part in their car (rhetorical question, of course they do it just gives credence to what someone here stated earlier, Lexus didn't put much effort into the design and/or testing of FSport for the GS, instead took it to market with a statement of the F-Sports parts fitting the GS models but to cover themselves, state specifically only these years and models
But it came back to bite them because the models they stated these parts where designed for are the very models that are experiencing the noise.

Great job to each person (Lexus owners and Darrel of Sewell) of this thread that contributed to finding this flaw and getting Lexus attention

Quick Reply: Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)