Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't see this being an installation issue neither. bushings can only be put in two ways and the instructions state pretty clear how to place it, and then the brackets only have 2 holes each i suppose and not like you can do anything about that. and the fact that so many people got noise...
Old 07-27-09, 01:37 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for all of us waiting for this F-Sport sway bar issue to be resolved....is it safe to buy yet? Or should we wait for Darrell at Sewell to contact Lexus corporate to resolve the problem. I plan on buying from Sewell. I have a 07 GS 350 AWD. Also good work guys in finding out the problem!
Old 07-27-09, 02:36 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigalexus
So for all of us waiting for this F-Sport sway bar issue to be resolved....is it safe to buy yet? Or should we wait for Darrell at Sewell to contact Lexus corporate to resolve the problem. I plan on buying from Sewell. I have a 07 GS 350 AWD. Also good work guys in finding out the problem!
Per Darrel's request, I dropped my car off at Sewell's service dept. this morning. No definitive news yet, but they just informed me that they are "talking with Lexus" and are aware that the gap (not related to install) is an issue. Perhaps they will come up with a quick solution (introduce a spacer?), so I'd hold off until they claim to have resolved this issue.
Old 07-27-09, 04:48 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigalexus
Bigalexus,
I would go ahead and order your sway bars and place them on layaway so that you take advantage of the discount being offered through Lexus for month of July.
Then you have until the end of the year to pay it off, hopefully by then they will have a solution to this problem and if they don't you can cancel the order. All that is required is 20% down. 1SICKLEX had posted a thread about this layaway plan.
Old 07-27-09, 04:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess is Lexus will replace the bushing with something larger. Its the easiest and most cost effective for them to do and will not harm anything.

I must say I like having no rear sway bar I will install mine this week. Darell is sending me the nuts for the Links. So it will work out perfect by the time I have them. So has anyone used grease on the bushing that has installed? It doesnt say in the instructions from Lexus. I searched some that have done "general" DIY for this and they used a ton of grease.

Who is MFG the sways for Lexus anyway??
Old 07-27-09, 06:08 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
Bigalexus,
I would go ahead and order your sway bars and place them on layaway so that you take advantage of the discount being offered through Lexus for month of July.
Then you have until the end of the year to pay it off, hopefully by then they will have a solution to this problem and if they don't you can cancel the order. All that is required is 20% down. 1SICKLEX had posted a thread about this layaway plan.
Yeah I definitely want to take advantage of the savings and layaway plan....thanks for the advice I will be placing my order shortly!
Old 07-27-09, 06:38 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by passnu2
So has anyone used grease on the bushing that has installed? It doesnt say in the instructions from Lexus. I searched some that have done "general" DIY for this and they used a ton of grease.
I think the general rule was to use grease with Polyurethane bushings, because they squeak when they are dry.

No grease on rubber because rubber bushings use the friction to keep the sways in the static position (note the stock rear sways... they're actually glued). Besides, the wrong type of grease destroys rubber

Lexus states that these bushings are oil impregnated rubber. So, I didn't use any grease, front nor rear.
Old 07-27-09, 08:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ yours where glued on the rear? mine where not.

Figure I will have these installed just in time for the fix...haha.
Old 07-28-09, 08:26 AM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ yours where glued on the rear? mine where not.

Figure I will have these installed just in time for the fix...haha.

Mine was like picture #5 on:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...different.html
Old 07-28-09, 02:29 PM
sprintz
Rookie

Default Fixed. (....?)

I got my car back from Sewell today, "fixed". I spoke with Andre (service agent) and Darrell (on-line parts) about what they did... thanks again Darrell!

The noise was found to be from static friction release on the bushings. The stock bushings incorporated a fabric liner of sorts to reduce friction such that no noise would be heard with slight left/right shifting. The F-sport bushings did not have this technology, which apparently exists in other Lexus bushing parts as well; not sure about IS F-sport.

They did take note of the larger-than-"normal" gap, but also observed some degree of left/right sway bar shifting on other Lexus models (with no noise). As Wingster pointed out, even when eliminating the gap with the wire tie, the noise could still be heard in certain conditions. The gap may exacerbate the issue, but it’s not the root cause.

The fix: Dow 111 (silicone grease). This has been submitted to Lexus in a technical report for their review. Darrel was not sure whether or not they would adopt this as the definitive fix (and subsequently rev up the installation instructions), or change the bushing design to include the fabric liner, or whatever... official word from Lexus will time take time.

I'm concerned that grease is not a long term fix. I've heard that greasing polyurethane sway bushings requires re-application every so often (months/years?), so I’m not sure I’m down wit’it. Plus with the bigger gap, could excessive shifting put additional stress/wear on the links? affect performance slightly? I like a big bush-ing. (Sorry Mods, is this too close to a Billy Bob / Sling Blade quote?). A bigger bushing with the fabric liner.

I have yet to test it myself in the (cooler) morning on a bump in my driveway that has been a certain clunk every time... I may be back with a NOT FIXED! post.

So assuming this is a near-term fix, what will you do: wait to install or install now and tell your tech to lube ‘em up?
Either way, I'd get 'em now with the sale price as 1STLXS suggested. Bottom line is they are worth every penny.
-
Old 07-28-09, 03:42 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by sprintz
I got my car back from Sewell today, "fixed". I spoke with Andre (service agent) and Darrell (on-line parts) about what they did... thanks again Darrell!

The noise was found to be from static friction release on the bushings. The stock bushings incorporated a fabric liner of sorts to reduce friction such that no noise would be heard with slight left/right shifting. The F-sport bushings did not have this technology, which apparently exists in other Lexus bushing parts as well; not sure about IS F-sport.

They did take note of the larger-than-"normal" gap, but also observed some degree of left/right sway bar shifting on other Lexus models (with no noise). As Wingster pointed out, even when eliminating the gap with the wire tie, the noise could still be heard in certain conditions. , but it’s not the root cause.

The fix: Dow 111 (silicone grease). This has been submitted to Lexus in a technical report for their review. Darrel was not sure whether or not they would adopt this as the definitive fix (and subsequently rev up the installation instructions), or change the bushing design to include the fabric liner, or whatever... official word from Lexus will time take time.

I'm concerned that grease is not a long term fix. I've heard that greasing polyurethane sway bushings requires re-application every so often (months/years?), so I’m not sure I’m down wit’it. Plus with the bigger gap, could excessive shifting put additional stress/wear on the links? affect performance slightly? I like a big bush-ing. (Sorry Mods, is this too close to a Billy Bob / Sling Blade quote?). A bigger bushing with the fabric liner.

I have yet to test it myself in the (cooler) morning on a bump in my driveway that has been a certain clunk every time... I may be back with a NOT FIXED! post.

So assuming this is a near-term fix, what will you do: wait to install or install now and tell your tech to lube ‘em up?
Either way, I'd get 'em now with the sale price as 1STLXS suggested. Bottom line is they are worth every penny.
-
I did see some fibers on the stock bushings (not fabric, but fibers inbeded in the bushing material). I wonder if that is the issue. The fibers keep the bushing from deforming under twisting load?

The next thing that comes to mind, is that why hasn't any of the IS people with F-sport sways complained about noise from the "static friction release on the bushings"? I'm assuming the bushings are made the same.

I agree with you on the lube, I don't think that would be a good fix, because the lube will allow the bar to slide side to side more... since they say "The gap may exacerbate the issue"

I'm not trying to flame Darrel or anyone whom is trying to find a fix. I just want a long term fix. Darrel has stepped up and has been very helpful.

Last edited by wingster; 07-29-09 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling typos
Old 07-28-09, 06:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

this just makes me thing the end-links will be a problem in the long run. hope having new ones helps me out in the long run.

Time for someone to make some aftermarket end-links for us.
Old 07-29-09, 09:13 AM
PClarkccg
Driver School Candidate

Decided to take the plunge and purchased the sways from Sewell for my 2008 GS460. Like everyone has indicated Darrel was extremely helpful.

Hurry, Sewell discount ends on July 31!

I found this interesting. My neighbor builds race cars (sweet works of art) in his spare time so I asked if he would install the sways. During our discussion of the install, removing the under body panels and attachment to the end links, he mentioned that we just need grease the front bushing. Why? The new bushing are oil impregnated. The grease will help with the flex in the front sway. I never said anything to him about the current noise issues. I'll inquire about the type of grease.
Old 07-29-09, 11:20 AM
wingster
Driver

I thought that Oil impregnated bushings are bushings that you do not need to grease.

I've had terrible expriences with polyurethane bushings that need greasing. First you need to find the right grease that doesn't wash away or fling off. Then when it does wash away you need to re-apply (grease also squeezes out from the hard urethane) or it will squeak from being dry and/or dirty from the dirt and gravel that sticks to the grease. It's a given that you need to clean and re-grease every two months or so, or it will squeak.

So, I thought this Oil impregnated rubber bushing was some sort of new tech, that solved the short-commings of polyurethane bushings.
Old 11-04-09, 08:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

To all with the swaybar/suspension clunk from the sway bars the fix is the new bushings. I know some people have had the old ones insulated and have seen improvements but still have a tiny bit of the rattle/clunk left. Have the bushings replaced. I was expecting maybe a newly designed bushing, but what I found out from my service rep was that the new bushings have exactly the same dimensions as the old F sport ones but they are much softer. He said the original sway bar bushings were very very hard and probably didnt flex very much therefore wore out quickly. The new ones he said were relatively very soft and that he could even bend and flex the new bushing with his hand

Bottom line get the new bushing. My suspension clunk is 100% gone ........so far. I have driven a bit tonight and hae had the stereo off the entire time. I am loving the car with the stock exhaust and the new bushings. My Lexus feels like a Lexus again

Quick Reply: Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)