Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 01:41 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darrell we can only get bushings from u if we ordered it from texas/sewell?..
Called some local lexus and they haven't gotten the notices yet...fremont ca lexus, san jose, redwood city
Old 05-05-10, 03:58 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
Here's the latest I received just yesterday evening - 2006 GS 300, 2007-2010 GS 350 (2WD) : F-Sport Front Sway Bar Thump Noise.

For those of you who are out of warranty, meaning if you purchased your sway bars but installed them yourself (or by your trusted mechanic), then email me directly at lexus@sewellparts.com. I'll verify your purchase from us for the F-Sport Sway bars, then I'll create an online order on your behalf and have the transaction covered under our Lexus warranty. Please register first!. This will assist me in assuring us I send the bushings to the right place. We will not bill you or charge you for the cost of the bushings - consider it Goodwill.
Any questions, use the specific email links.

Darrel Diller
Sewell Parts
lexus@sewellparts.com
Old 05-06-10, 05:05 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
darrel has time and time proven to me that they are the place to go to for lexus parts -- great prices and unmatched customer service

Couldn't agree more with you! Darrel has been a huge helping me research many different things. Even stuff they don't sell.
Old 05-07-10, 12:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

My service rep ( Doug Boadt is the best in the business) called me to inform me of the new bushings and that he already ordered me a set and was just letting me know. Bell Lexus service is truly awesome.
Old 05-07-10, 12:49 PM
wingster
Driver

I just received my set of the revised bushings this morning... thanks to Darrel. They seem much more stiffer, not as rubbery feeling as the originals. I'm going outside to put them on...
Old 05-07-10, 02:56 PM
wingster
Driver

Okay... I installed them... so far so good. No knocking...
Old 05-12-10, 01:39 PM
RooRa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is there a tsb for the awd yet?

i went to my dealer, and they told me that the suspension (strut) was leaking and that is why my car is making the knocking noise and not the sways bushings, they said it should be fine after they replace the struts. anyone know if this is accurate?

i'll see when i get my car back if it really is the struts as they say.

gs 300 06 awd
Old 05-14-10, 12:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have mine waiting for me for a Monday install. I am pretty sure this will alleviate the issue or get rid of it totally . My service rep told me that there were only 35 sets of these bushings coming in from Japan and that they will be on back order after that. Based on the dismal sales of F sport parts I dont think there will be many 3GS owners waiting for revised bushings
Old 06-07-10, 08:45 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer told me that Lexus requires the service department to test drive my car to replicate the issue before executing the TSB. The problem is the dealer is in one of those brand new suburbs with perfectly smooth roads. I only get the thumping noise in the bumpy city streets.

I wonder if I should just buy the bushings from Sewell and pay to have them fitted.

Also - Is it just the front bushings or front and rear? TSB only mentions front...
Old 06-07-10, 09:32 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Do you guys recommend any aftermarket bushings other than the OEM's?
Old 06-07-10, 09:52 AM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
Dealer told me that Lexus requires the service department to test drive my car to replicate the issue before executing the TSB. The problem is the dealer is in one of those brand new suburbs with perfectly smooth roads. I only get the thumping noise in the bumpy city streets.

I wonder if I should just buy the bushings from Sewell and pay to have them fitted.

Also - Is it just the front bushings or front and rear? TSB only mentions front...
Drive around the area and find a place where you can replicate the noise. Street/freeway drainage dips, and driveways were usual suspects for me, when I had the noise. Then ask if you can do a ride along with the tech, and direct him to the spots. Or better yet, you drive and have the tech be the passenger.

We've been having problems with the Front only.
Old 06-07-10, 10:19 AM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by designo
Do you guys recommend any aftermarket bushings other than the OEM's?
Are you refering to after market bushings for the F-Sport sway bars? There are none out there with an exact fit. The closest I found was a 31.5mm one from energy suspension... The diameter of the front F-Sport is 31.75mm. I was think about trying it but didn't because I not a fan of the squeeking polyurethane bushing.

There are aftermarket bushings for the OEM swaybars in Japan that are made of some material named duracon ... but is only available in Japan. Look here:

http://www.think-design.jp/duracon_top.html
Old 06-07-10, 10:37 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Thank you sir
Old 06-07-10, 01:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay I am getting a bit frustrated here. Here's dialogue so far with dealer to fix the bushings.

Me: I am getting a thumping sound from non-flat and uneven road surfaces at lower speeds. It is pronounced on city streets and inside my office's multi-story parking lot whenever I hit one of the parking ramps. Please can you order the replacement parts in this recall TSB and see if that fixes it? Would like to get it done this week.

JM Lexus: Lexus is asking that I and my mechanics further test drive the car to see if we can duplicate the noise. They are saying that it may be something else that might need to be tightened as a result of the new hardware getting put in the car. Can you bring the car by here for a more thorough test drive?

Me:I think you will have a hard time replicating the issue on your roads. Like I said I only experience it in South Beach and Downtown Miami. Everywhere else it was fine. I can record a video if it would help?

JM Lexus: I can’t do a warranty replacement of parts (if that is the case) without a technician signing off on it. A technician will only sign off on it once they’ve driven it. I’ve spoken to my technician who installed the parts, I’ve spoken to the Parts manager, and I’ve spoken to my service manager. They all tell me the same thing, that we need to duplicate the issue, otherwise Lexus won’t touch it. You did make the point that it only happens on the roads in South Beach and Downtown Miami. Perhaps it’s on the road surface itself that you are noticing the noise more now that you have a stiffer suspension with the car. Every road surface has its own unique harmonic quality to it.
This dealer is an hour away and in an area with extremely smooth roads. I didn't detect any issue in their area when I picked up the car. No issue on highways either. But noticeable on my local roads. Basically sounds like a thumping or rumbling sound coming from the footwell.

What should I do?

Last edited by *Batman*; 06-07-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 01:20 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

so you're still having thumping sounds....even with the warmer temperatures? I no longer hear the thumping, and as long as it's above 50 degrees (F), I won't hear them. If indeed they have to drive the car to duplicate the sound, I'll wait till the fall/winter to have them changed out. although no one has confirmed if they will be making AWD bushings.

Quick Reply: Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)