Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Minor clunking noise with Tein CST

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Minor clunking noise with Tein CST

I have been having this minor clunking noise in the front of my car with m,y Tein CST coilovers. I think it has gotten a little worse since I started playing with my ride height to make the 255/30's on the front of the car work. Its not constant nor is it bad, but I do notice it with small cracks in the road. It doesnt do it on the larger oscillations or cracks. I was wondering if any members have had this issue with coilovers before. I have done some internet research and I have seen a lot of posts on this issue but mine doesnt seem as bad. What they recommend to have checked is the rubber mounts and the nuts/bolts on the top of the shock tower. I have already made an appointment with the shop to have them take a look

what do you guys think???
Old 10-28-09, 01:42 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No idea, I've never been brave enough to mess with the suspension on any of my cars. When I first saw the thread title I misread it as a "clucking" sound, I came in here to ask if you checked for chickens.
Old 10-28-09, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I got the chickens in the trunk . lol. I have done some research and it seems common. Most people just recommend having all of the blots and nuts checked and tightened as well as to make sure all of the bump stops and bushings are all ok
Old 10-28-09, 07:20 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

i had this clunking noise from my rear pass side, but after reinstalling it noise went away.. however, i'm starting hear creaking noise from the same corner whenever i go over the bumps.. like you mentioned, this is pretty common issue with lowering springs or coilovers, but i'm going to check once more and reinstall if necessary. my friend's g35 coupe has tein s-tech springs, and i hear the same clunking noise from rear passenger side also.. minor but still there..
Old 10-28-09, 08:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have done some research and found a huge thread on the evo forums. I think it was 35 plus pages of coiler clunking. It still seems like the most common issue is the bolts being loose or not torque to spec. Many other members found that the coilovers need to be lubricated, bad bushings and mounts, springs moving, and sway bar em links. It seems extremely common with evo's. With them its not just minor stuff over small bumps. Its like all of the time.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-29-09 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-28-09, 08:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stvincent
i had this clunking noise from my rear pass side, but after reinstalling it noise went away.. however, i'm starting hear creaking noise from the same corner whenever i go over the bumps.. like you mentioned, this is pretty common issue with lowering springs or coilovers, but i'm going to check once more and reinstall if necessary. my friend's g35 coupe has tein s-tech springs, and i hear the same clunking noise from rear passenger side also.. minor but still there..
what kind of coilers do you have??
Old 10-28-09, 08:59 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This could be a number of things.
-bolts being loose
-not torque to spec
-endlink has no lubrication in it
-bad bushings and
-not mounted correctly

My GS has this problem on the drivers back side. One of my bolts where loose. So I tightened it back to spec and it fixed the problem.
Old 10-28-09, 09:38 PM
stvincent
Racer

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
what kind of coilers do you have??
BC Racing..
Old 10-29-09, 12:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am pretty confident that my guys at the shop will be able to sort it out for me. They are top notch. I will post the results
Old 10-29-09, 07:52 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you sure it's your coilovers and not your fsport sway bars that are notorious for clunking?
Old 10-29-09, 08:53 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the torque specs for the bolts? I have BC Coilovers and I'm hearing clunking, squeaking, etc on my passenger rear after I had them re-installed. I'm also thinking its the spring rate - i'm suspecting the guy lowered that side by adjusting the top rings, rather than the bottom.
Old 10-29-09, 01:03 PM
stvincent
Racer

^ it's possible that spring preload has been touched.. should be tightened no more than 5mm.. i'm also interested to know some torques specs.. i only know the one that holding the top of strut..
Old 10-29-09, 02:00 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
^ it's possible that spring preload has been touched.. should be tightened no more than 5mm.. i'm also interested to know some torques specs.. i only know the one that holding the top of strut..
fellow vibrating AWDer - what is the torque for the top strut?
Old 10-29-09, 02:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWong1200
are you sure it's your coilovers and not your fsport sway bars that are notorious for clunking?
I wasn't aware that the F sport sway bars made a clunking sound. What I am hearing sounds like a rubber on metal tapping sound and its minor and only heard on cracks ion the road at low speed
Old 10-29-09, 04:19 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F-Sport sway bars clunk like crazy. I had them look at them and they re-installed them which decreased the clunking but now 1 month later it is back again.

Quick Reply: Minor clunking noise with Tein CST