Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

awd + lowered + rims. how many kms have you put on aprox

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 01:14 PM
phatz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default awd + lowered + rims. how many kms have you put on aprox

Anybody lowered more than 1" on aftermarket wheels.

I just did tein s-techs on my awd 2006. a slight increase in vibration at idle and I have a low speed vibration only sometimes when I gas it.

Any way it could damage in the long run? worn cvs? transfer case? tranny? has anybody actually know a person who has damaged the cvs/tranny/transfer case or any other part due to lowering + increase vibrations??
Old 03-12-10, 06:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Lets see some pics.. seems like the awd models sit higher than the others..
Old 03-17-10, 08:04 PM
phatz
Driver

06 awd lowered on s-tech teins. sorry for the crappy quality its using my cell.

did alignment, guy even fixed my camber, these cars you can adjust the camber in the front thru the lower control arm bolt. I am pretty sure you could even correct camber in more extreme cases by modifing this.

Last edited by phatz; 03-17-10 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 03:36 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i've been lowered for approximately 15k miles. much lower than you, with staggered wheels for roughly 20-25k miles. my cv joints were leaking a bit, which was noticed upon coilover install. i will be checking again in about 4k, at my next oil change. as of now it is nothing to worry about, though they will need replacing at some point. 111k on the car at the moment, for reference. check out my garage if you would like to see the difference in ride height between our cars. you should be fine, but it is always good to be proactive - check periodically. of course, if you've read the AWD suspension thread, you know that the lower you go the more vibrations you get.
Old 03-18-10, 06:04 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

^ what he said..
this topic came up before, but no one could answer.. i had tein s-tech before, now bc coils. put on about 10k miles since lowered, nothing's leaking so far, no warning lights. i do have pretty bad vibration, but mine is lowered a lot (tucking my stock 17s).
Old 03-18-10, 07:04 AM
ryan78
Instructor

^damn, you are lower than me then! lol. vibration is the price you pay for the look you want.
Old 03-18-10, 07:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

my car has been lowered for about 3k now and i only have a slight vibration from a stop and go. once im past 10mph or so it goes away. no idle vibrations. i do plan to lower the rear a little bit more the level the car out better so im hoping that will get rid of the vibrations all together.
Old 03-18-10, 09:40 AM
stvincent
Racer

Originally Posted by ryan78
^damn, you are lower than me then! lol. vibration is the price you pay for the look you want.
its pretty damn low i have to raise it back up when i put my 20s though..
Old 03-20-10, 03:05 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

06 GS300 AWD. Lowered on DF 210s for about 2K miles, then BC Coilovers for 10K miles on staggered 20" 3- Piece Forged Zegados. Initially, a lot of vibrations at idle and accelerations but was able to reduce them by getting the drop even. After several months of fine tuning the coilovers, I finally achieved the best ride I can get while dealing with the minor vibrations.

Last edited by telmz1; 03-20-10 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 12:12 PM
ryan78
Instructor

telmz - i seriously love those wheels! makes me want to do the same to mine. still love the way she turned out. i will be leveling mine out in two weeks, after i finish the sub install. hopefully i will have the same results you had.
Old 03-21-10, 01:56 PM
PHX
Driver School Candidate

I love the stance on your GS telmz1!
Old 03-23-10, 06:11 AM
stvincent
Racer

Originally Posted by telmz1
Initially, a lot of vibrations at idle and accelerations but was able to reduce them by getting the drop even. After several months of fine tuning the coilovers, I finally achieved the best ride I can get while dealing with the minor vibrations.
hey man, do you mind telling me ur set up on BC coilovers? like front & rear height, shock settings? trying to see if i can ease up the vibration a bit.. thx.
Old 03-23-10, 06:49 AM
ryan78
Instructor

yeah, that would be helpfull. also - has anyone messed with the preload settings? i have left mine as it came from the manufacturer, but i would think that adjusting would help quite a bit.
Old 03-23-10, 06:50 AM
phatz
Driver

I got tein s-techs, i still got some vibration at idle when stopped with foot on the brake, but since I put my 20s on, my vibration upon acceleration has dropped. its smoother now.

go figure.
Old 03-23-10, 12:56 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
hey man, do you mind telling me ur set up on BC coilovers? like front & rear height, shock settings? trying to see if i can ease up the vibration a bit.. thx.
If I measure from the floor to the center of the fender, I am:
Front = 25 3/4" Dampening is 8 clicks from soft
Back = 26" Dampening is 10 clicks from soft

Since Nov 09, I started at 25" in the front and 25 1/4" and just kept going up a 1/4 " every month and stopped at these settings. As the theory goes, the higher you go up the less vibrations you will experience. But getting all 4 corners seems to be the key as all 4 for were different after the initial install back in July. I even tried to achieve the stock ratio where the front is almost an inch higher than the back. That didn't help and it looked ugly, especially when the back was loaded after a costco run.

Originally Posted by ryan78
yeah, that would be helpfull. also - has anyone messed with the preload settings? i have left mine as it came from the manufacturer, but i would think that adjusting would help quite a bit.
I screwed up all my preload setting after adjusting the height 5-7 times (backs started to squeak and make noise whenever I went over a speed bump or enter my driveway) To correct this, I turned the upper rings until the spring could jiggle up and down a bit, then tightened them until it couldn't. Then I used a caliper tool to measure 3 MM and to tightened down the upper ring. I then made the necessary height adjustments. This was a pain to do, as after it settled, i had to make additional corrections to get everything even.

Hope that helps. Not a real solution, but it helped me achieve a compromise between vibration tolerance and ride height.

Quick Reply: awd + lowered + rims. how many kms have you put on aprox