Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 10:13 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber adjustment

Why would engineers design a car with no camber adjustment? My wifes car is a '06 GS300 and the car has the factory suspention at the factory ride height. The inside of all the tires are wearing at a high rate and I have rotated them myself about every 5K miles. I have even tried increasing the tire pressure. The alignment shop says the car is in factory specs so my conclusion is the factory specs are BS.

I have done a search and I understand why others that have lowered the car will have more camber and tire wear. But for a stock car to have this kinda tire wear with no way to adjust is just stupid.

Has anyone come up with a solution?
Old 04-19-10, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for any cars, if setup is done right (even from factory), there will (should) be negative cambers. this is for handling purposes. your c5 should have the same problem too. over time there will be more inside wear than outside wear in general. that's completely normal. the question should be how fast.

if a car has completely zero camber, i can say for sure the handling will suck big time. now the key is on the toe. people need to keep in mind that negative camber will hurt inside wear, but that's not the biggest enemy. biggest enemy is toe, especially toe out.

a lot of times, good shops will try to get to the more toe in side of the factory spec, which will help to compensate the negative camber for more even wear overall. but a lot of times if a shop keep it on the more toe out side of the spec, that can induce faster inside wear

having less adjustable arms is actually a good thing sometimes. reading the 2gs forum and people will tell you why. toes and cambers are both adjustable and it's so painful how easily the alignment can be knocked out on the 2gs, i had to do alignment every year. with our cars, you will have to bend the arm to knock it out of alignment (camber wise)

read the other threads and you can see mike is coming up with potential solution of usual camber arms from 2is. but again, you do not want to adjust to 0 camber
Old 04-19-10, 10:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

What is considered "factory spec"?

Do you have an alignment sheet with you because a lot of times, the alignment guy will just turn a wrench until he sees green on the screen. The range of spec that the computer gives is very wide. A lot of times they will set it uneven too. Your right toe could be 0.05 degree while the left toe could be 0.20, and it's still considered 'acceptable' by the computer.

Like Henry said, toe is the biggest offender when it comes to tire wear. Camber just means you're putting more wear on one part of the tire, but if the camber angle isn't extreme, it shouldn't be a problem. Incorrect toe will have your tires constantly scrubbing against the road as it wants to go in a different direction while the car wants to go straight..

Last edited by GSteg; 04-19-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and henry (gsteg) brought up great points on overall "spec" too
Old 04-20-10, 12:35 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

take it from me, you do NOT want something with 0 camber, like rominl said, the handling is like a big pile of horse poo hahaha.... i've ridden on it before and man did i hate it, went back camber'd and was temporarily happy... rotate tires every oil change (front right swapped with rear left, right left swapped with rear right) and you should be absolutely fine =] .... i lasted 6-7 oil changes on my pretty worn out dunlops
Old 04-20-10, 04:43 AM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

Guys I understand camber and how it works but what gets me is how the alignment machine says the car is within the desired factory settings and with these settings the inside of the tires is being "chewed" up. I bought a new set of Michelin tires and they are not going to last 25k miles.

Do these cars run toe out or toe in and how much or little can be run without handeling issues?
Old 04-20-10, 08:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NealM
but what gets me is how the alignment machine says the car is within the desired factory settings and with these settings the inside of the tires is being "chewed" up.
And that's the problem with most alignment machines. The range is so wide that almost anything can be within the green but reality is, the numbers are way off. If you go to one shop vs another, you'll see that both print outs will list different ranges for 'factory spec'. It's almost like an arbitrary number they've pulled out somewhere.

The true 'factory specs' are listed in the 3GS service manual.

Whenever I go in for an alignment on my 2GS, I supply my own spec and I request that they keep the numbers symmetrical as possible. None of that 0.05 degree on one side and 0.15 on the other, no matter if the screen tells them green or not.

In any case, most cars run toe-in from the factory for for straight line stability.

Last edited by GSteg; 04-20-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

listen to gsteg. from factory it's toe it (i doubt any cars will come toe out, bad idea).
Old 04-20-10, 09:16 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't really matter. Toe in or out, same net affect. Either will kill your tires.
Old 04-20-10, 10:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Doesn't really matter. Toe in or out, same net affect. Either will kill your tires.
but toe in will induce more even wear against negative camber. negative + toe out and it kills the inner like no tomorrow
Old 04-20-10, 10:29 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ my understanding is that all depends on the car.
Old 04-20-10, 10:38 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
but toe in will induce more even wear against negative camber. negative + toe out and it kills the inner like no tomorrow
100% correct...

toe in compensates/re-balances for the negative camber...
Old 04-20-10, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ my understanding is that all depends on the car.
i am referring to lexus in general, which i believe is the case
Old 04-20-10, 12:25 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im not positive myself. I thought this may be the case but I wasnt sure myself.
Old 04-20-10, 12:54 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my Discount Tire Alignment report, it shows the Factory spec Specifications(Min.-Max.)
Front Camber: -1.1 to 0.4 (Left & Right)
Rear Camber: -1.9 to -0.4 (Left & Right)

Front Toe: -0.05 to 0.20 (Left & Right)
Rear Toe: 0.05 to 0.35 (Left & Right)

And my front camber came out -1.2 (L&R) but toe they adjusted to 0.05, and my rear camber is -1.8L and -2.0R, rear toe is 0.25L and 0.20R within their factory spec, so they did not do anything on rear toe. Should I have them adjust the rear toe to negative since I have -1.8 & -2.0 rear camber? just wanna slow down the speed of tire wear

Quick Reply: Camber adjustment