Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Tanabe Sustec Pro Five - Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 01:56 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tanabe Sustec Pro Five - Mini Review

So I was lucky enough to score a set of used Sustec Pro Fives to replace the DF210's I've had on my car for only about 1.5 months or so and less than 1000 miles.

The DF's were great springs but they lacked something for me personally. Mainly, I found that the car still felt like it was rolling a bit too much for my taste. Additionally, I wanted some dampening flexibility and the ability to adjust it electronically in the cockpit. That said, I was left with only Tanabe and Tein, as far as I know because they offer the TEAS/EDFC. TEAS goes one-step further in that it's also 'active' adjusting; meaning that it changes with the car's speed. Note: I have not installed a TEAS (yet). I'm going to drive it as-is for a bit and see if it's worth getting or not.

Install difficulty:

Pretty easy if you have some basic tools and a slight bit of manual dexterity. Took me about an hour and 45 minutes to install the front and rear. I have the rears all the way down and adjusted to the 'M' for dampening and I have the front set to two full turns up from the bottom and set one click below the 'M' towards the 'S'.

Result:

The car is sitting about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than before in the front and rear. The ride is incredibly good. It's a little stiffer than before but really not bad at all seeing how the spring rates are higher on these Sustecs compared to the DF's and the fact the car is sitting lower. Overall, the bumps that I encounter now just feel more controlled than they were before.

I took a drive after the install today onto a freeway on-ramp and all I can say is WOW. What an incredible difference. The body roll that I had with the DF's was almost non-existent. I easily took the on-ramp at least 5-8mph faster than I did before and I didn't push it to the limit.

There is absolutely no noise coming from my suspension that I can hear at the moment either.

Conclusion:
Great alternative, IMO, to the Tein CSTs. Slightly stiffer spring rates but not very noticeable, at least not to me. I've only ridden in a couple of 3GS's with CST's and they were slammed to the ground and dampening all the way up, which could be the reason they were a bit bumpy.

The Sustec's are about 2/3's the cost of CSTs as well and both have the TEAS/EDFC capability.

I think the car is a bit too low right now so i plan on raising it slightly; more so the rear than the front. I still am not sure if I'll spring for the TEAS either. I think time will tell. I'm also thinking of FSport sways in the future as well.

For now, I'm stoked!
Old 05-19-10, 05:06 PM
TWong350

I don't have photos yet. Not sure about the TEAS yet. I'll drive it as-is for a bit and probably tinker with the ride height till I'm content. I love the way it looks right now being so low but if I could get a little better ride by raising it slightly, then I'll likely raise it. If there's not much improvement raising it a little, then I'll drop it back down. Is there a such thing as too low? :P
Old 07-09-11, 05:56 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread...any updates? Any complaints or anything about these after 1 year?
Old 08-15-11, 10:20 AM
TWong350

Sorry for the late response guys. Haven't been active on CL in a while (shame on me).

Still have them and still love them. Although I plan on raising the car up a bit because it's rubbing in the rear too much for my tastes. My fault for having over-spec rear tires at the moment so once I've worn them out, I'll replace them with something in-spec and lower it again.

And no, I didn't get a TEAS. Really no need for it, IMO. I have my dampening set to where I like it (soft) and don't plan on changing.