Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Possible problem with my Tein CS Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 03:35 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible problem with my Tein CS Coilovers?

I purchased a set of used coilovers from a member on the board...Alwayzspeedin... He said they had about 1500 miles on the coilovers and included the edfc headunit, motors and cables. Did not install EDFC due to time constraints.

Mike helped install these and mentioned he hasn't seen/heard of any coilovers that don't atleast *click* after each level. So when adjusting the coilovers for the first time I notice there are no "click" sounds when tightening or loosening the top dampening bolt with the supplied key.

First question I guess is my product faulty? Will I be able to adjusts, these coilovers are 16 way adjustable. If it's not faulty and it's just an absense of clicks, not too worried about it. How many key turns equals 1 click setting?

On the Front Left strut I was able to adjust 10 full rotations counter clockwise for the softest setting. On the Front Right the tension within the bolt did not prevent it from rotating past 10 rotations.

I emailed Tein US and haven't received a response to my question. Hoping someone here could shed some light please.
Old 01-14-11, 04:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ummm... couple of things here. mike also msg me about this before

first, there should be click. you should check with tim again. i am not 100%, but i think he had air suspension setup and maybe with these shocks? i don't know if he had to disassemble any parts. but for sure there should be distinct clicks.

second, do NOT turn that much counterclockwise!!!!!!!! i think i told mike in the msg that if you turn clockwise till the end, that's the stiffest. but counterclockwise, it will allow you to go past 16 clicks however you are not supposed to do that. you can loosen or damage something permanently.

if i have to guess, i think each click is only maybe 30-45 degrees. so with 16 clicks, that's like 2 full turns ONLY!!!!!! doing 10 (or more), that's way too much!!!!!!

i really don't know what state it is now, hope this helps
Old 01-14-11, 05:47 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I this on Tein's website, do you think this may part of the issue?

When Installing The EDFC Motor, Do Not Put In 2 Hex Bolts!
There have been many previous points regarding the EDFC in the “How to fit” section, but this time we will look at the hexagon bolt within the piston rod. When installing the EDFC to the shock absorber, please remove the click with the appropriate tool and replace it with the motor. When you remove the click, there is a 1 hexagon bolt inside the piston rod (it may be dark and difficult to see). Remove the hexagon bolt inside the piston rod and replace it with the hexagon bolt included in the “EDFC kit”.
There have been many incidents where this hexagon bolt included in the “EDFC kit” was not used. If the motor was installed onto the shock absorber with the original hexagon bolt, the hexagon bolt will only go in as far as the edge of the piston rod as shown in (Photo 6). If you then attach the motor in this position, then motor will not be able to fully reach the threading on the piston rod as in (Photo 7), and will be in an unstable condition. (The appropriate state is as shown in Photo 8, where the motor was properly tightened to the correct position). There have been many customers who have called or returned their motor because of this problem.
When installing the EDFC, please make sure to replace the hexagon bolt, and then install the motor.
Old 01-14-11, 06:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe put them so they are stiffest and lets just install the EDFC since you have it. We can do this at my work.