Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Changing front springs only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 08:39 AM
Paoloveg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front springs only?

After recently changing to 19" rims, I noticed that my front wheel gap is much wider than rear wheels. It's around 4 fingers in front vs 2.5fingers at the rear.

My friend has a spare set of tanabe lowering springs lying around.

Can I just use the lowering springs on the front suspension while leaving the rear stock?
What implications are there to the ride quality and handling of the car?

Purpose is to keep the ride soft because I often take 4 passengers.

Last edited by Paoloveg; 01-25-11 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 08:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

not a good idea.

1) your going to have multiple spring rates
2) your going to create rake on your car
3) its going to look silly
4) your front struts will eventually fail quicker than the rears
5) it will actually increase your rear wheel gap because of the rake

the list goes on
Old 01-25-11, 08:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You can swap out just the front springs if you're only doing it for looks. Springs come in various stiffness, so answer your question about ride quality and handling, no one knows. Not too many people here swap out the fronts for Tanabe springs, let alone the front springs themselves.

If it's just for daily driving and you don't plan on pushing the car hard(er), you probably won't have much of an issue.
Old 01-25-11, 09:58 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Which tanabes? If it's the NF you probably wont notice a huge difference in ride quality. It might look a little funny, but if you like the raked look it wont hurt anything.

Stiffer front springs without stiffer rears will induce more understeer. If it's only a slight change, like the NF, it shouldn't be too noticeable.
Old 01-25-11, 09:58 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh........No!!! The car would look like a retro HotWheels! if you want to lower the car and maintain rise quality the best bet is coilovers!
Old 01-25-11, 10:14 AM
LexFather

I cannot recommend this. Before anything this is a LEXUS a proper luxurious sport sedan. Do you think Lexus would put 2 different springs on it?

Sounds like you need coilovers.
Old 01-25-11, 10:32 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I assume that you have an AWD model ? Since, the gaps on RWD cars are the same on all 4 corners. If that's the case, then putting any lowering springs will lead to vibrations.
Old 01-25-11, 01:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Guys, he has more gap in the front than the rear and all he's going to do is try to even it out by dropping the front more. Getting coilover is not a cheap solution if it's going to lower the front just the same amount as what the Tanabe will give him.

As far as two different spring rates, the stock spring rates are different front vs rear anyways. Tanabe springs in general are not much stiffer than stock so you're not really risking anything here. If the springs are a lot stiffer, then I would stay away since that combo could lead to heavy understeer.
Old 01-25-11, 01:54 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up some SAGE RCA spacers. There is someone else that did this a few months ago.
Old 01-25-11, 04:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jherb350
Pick up some SAGE RCA spacers. There is someone else that did this a few months ago.
This is the best recommendation here.
Old 01-25-11, 08:00 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 3rd this since this will achieve what you want and you still have the stock suspension.
Old 01-26-11, 04:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Guys, he has more gap in the front than the rear and all he's going to do is try to even it out by dropping the front more. Getting coilover is not a cheap solution if it's going to lower the front just the same amount as what the Tanabe will give him.

As far as two different spring rates, the stock spring rates are different front vs rear anyways. Tanabe springs in general are not much stiffer than stock so you're not really risking anything here. If the springs are a lot stiffer, then I would stay away since that combo could lead to heavy understeer.
and you do realize that if you lower just the front that the rear will not stay in the same spot. if you drop the front, the rear will raise
Old 01-26-11, 05:54 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Paoloveg
Purpose is to keep the ride soft because I often take 4 passengers.
with a conservative drop, ride isn't bad at all imo.. even had 5 passengers before, no complaints here..
Old 01-26-11, 07:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
and you do realize that if you lower just the front that the rear will not stay in the same spot. if you drop the front, the rear will raise
We're talking about such a small magnitude in change that it's negligible. I've lowered and raised my front end multiple times and the rear gap does not change. The front and rear weight distribution will still be the same so the rear springs is still going to get compressed the same amount. You see guys on air suspension raise and lower one end of the car with no change in the other end, and that's with at least 4" in height adjustment. 0.75" or so won't do much.
Old 01-26-11, 07:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Be careful with the RCA though. Get an alignment afterwards and have them try to reduce negative camber because you will get a slight increase depending on how thick the RCAs are.

Quick Reply: Changing front springs only?