Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

suspension fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 02:33 PM
LTU-Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question suspension fitment

Does anyone know if shocks/springs from gs350 fit awd gs300 or no? Don't want to deal with vibrations in the car, after i lowered it, it became almost undrivable. Also does anyone know a suspension kit where the car reacts normal, just sits more stable?
Old 02-22-11, 03:03 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

nope, front OEM shocks are different in design. to my knowledge, there are no other substitute for OEM shocks other than the F-sports. maybe the F-sports on the IS250AWD are interchangeable, but i cannot confirm this. you can always go with coils if you don't mind vibrations.
Old 02-23-11, 08:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

if your referring to swapping a RWD GS suspension on an AWD GS then as mention, no it will not work. the rears will bolt up fine but the fronts have a C bracket on the AWD that go around the axles. Im currently working on a fix for the vibrations so hold tight.

As far as the AWD IS im going to say the suspension is the same. My BC coilovers are listed on the struts as IS struts.
Old 02-25-11, 01:21 PM
LTU-Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering how to fix the vibration but it seems like a lot of work... It kinda feels like the driveshaft doesn't line up with the trans properly when lowered... Are you working on a kit to fix this problem?
Old 02-28-11, 07:07 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTU-Lexus
I was wondering how to fix the vibration but it seems like a lot of work... It kinda feels like the driveshaft doesn't line up with the trans properly when lowered... Are you working on a kit to fix this problem?
yes. i already went the driveshaft route and that didnt work because of the way the driveshaft is positioned on the car. i have another idea that im working on. should have the parts soon.
Old 02-28-11, 07:30 AM
derfp2
Driver

Some people are just clueless... On a AWD w/ 4 wheel INDEPENDENT suspension cars, the driveshaft that connects the rear axle and the small shaft that connects the front axle, NEVER change angle or position when the car is lowered or raised....only on solid axles (aka: ford mustang rear axle OR trucks w/ solid front and rear axles) does the geometry change when u lower or raise! In our cars (AWD's) the only thing that changes geometry related to the driveline when lowering is the CV JOINTS (front and rear). With our car the vibration is coming from the front axle because RWD's dont get vibration, so it must something to do w/ the knuckle and CVJ angle...I thought it could be the caster change do to lowering, but i replaced the front lower control arm rear brackets to correct caster to near stock specs and no cure to the vibration...

What i think could be causing the vibration now is the camber adj. we have in the front lower arm. When lowered u kinda have to maxout the camber adj to help the increased neg camber, even though it doesnt fix it, it does decrease the neg camber a little. Anyways, i think by maxing out the adjustment causes the wheel knuckle to get to close to the CVJ, cause a wouble (i kinda could almost duplicate this on one of my awd RC cars).
Old 02-28-11, 07:48 AM
derfp2
Driver

Im in the process (kinda) of trying to make a longer front UPPER control arm, so that neg camber can be adj up top and the lower adj on the lower arm can be put back to stock thus moving the knuckle away from the cvj...One thing i dont get is, the IS line (250, 350, isf) including awd's and the GS line (all rwd's and awd's) all use the same (kinda) front upper control arms, the lower ones is almost all diff for each model. So w/ SOOOO many people wanting neg camber fixes for the front (meganracing as a good rear camber fix for all IS and GS) YYYYYY?!?! doesnt some company make a replacement front UPPER control arm w/ camber adjustment for our cars!!!
They would make a fortune, being the only ones w a camber correction for the front axle...Theres atleast more than a thousand owner wanting this done. I think FIGS is working on a front upper arm. Hope his done by summer, so that i dont have to make one...
Old 02-28-11, 08:01 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by derfp2
Some people are just clueless... On a AWD w/ 4 wheel INDEPENDENT suspension cars, the driveshaft that connects the rear axle and the small shaft that connects the front axle, NEVER change angle or position when the car is lowered or raised
correct which is what ive found out while doing some research and work on the car

....only on solid axles (aka: ford mustang rear axle OR trucks w/ solid front and rear axles) does the geometry change when u lower or raise!
the S2K guys have this problem and theres is due to the driveshaft. The spyder in the bucket is changing angles on them when they raise and lower their cars. I thought it would be a similar situation on the GS but the driveshaft is set up differently.

In our cars (AWD's) the only thing that changes geometry related to the driveline when lowering is the CV JOINTS (front and rear). With our car the vibration is coming from the front axle because RWD's dont get vibration, so it must something to do w/ the knuckle and CVJ angle...I thought it could be the caster change do to lowering, but i replaced the front lower control arm rear brackets to correct caster to near stock specs and no cure to the vibration...
correct is more to do with the angle of the axles and ive come up with a fix for it, just waiting for the parts to be machined.
Old 02-28-11, 08:07 AM
derfp2
Driver

Hey, IXI187IXI...if u keep on sayin axles and not CVJ, people here r gona be confused...Im in burbs of philly, so let me know
Old 02-28-11, 08:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

let you know what?
Old 02-28-11, 08:25 AM
derfp2
Driver

The S2K guys have different AWD systems than us...Theirs is based on an front wheel drive setup, which means their engines are horizontally placed, their front axle has no problems, bc their cars where made to be front wheel drive, their problems arises when their cars are made awd by its manufacture, for them they get a rear driveshaft added and rear axle. Thats y their vibrations come from the driveshaft connecting the rear axle. For us, our cars were designed has rwd with longitudinal engine, so when toyota added AWD to our cars, they added a front axle and transfer box. Thats y its the front with the issues for us and the rear for them...Our cars are more like the BMW's awd and BENZ's awd, but those companies spend more time on R&D on their awd setups thant toyota did...
Old 02-28-11, 08:30 AM
derfp2
Driver

Maybe since IS350 awd's are out and will sell more than our cars, maybe more people will complain about the wobble and the issue will be addressed
Old 02-28-11, 08:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

the issue is being addressed and a fix is being made for both the AWD GS & AWD IS
Old 02-28-11, 08:47 AM
derfp2
Driver

Heared that before....think im gona make my own front upper control arm that will fixx the wobble and also correct neg front camber...maybe even sell it.
Old 02-28-11, 08:53 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Heared that before....think im gona make my own front upper control arm that will fixx the wobble and also correct neg front camber...maybe even sell it.
thats fine, you dont have to believe me. ive already proved in several threads that im working on the solution to fixing the problem. your more than welcome to make control arms if you feel that will fix it.

fyi you need to be a business with a license to sell on CL

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 02-28-11 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: suspension fitment