Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Dilemma - To air or not to air????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 06:37 PM
sticky4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dilemma - To air or not to air????

So those who have been following my build will know my goal was to build the most cambered, aggressive and STATIC GS around.

Rims are on all fenders are pulled and car is slammed. Tucks half the front tire and almost to the rim out back.

It drives like a$$... All the wheels buzz the fenders (she's very flush) and the front top A arms smash the tops of the fenders constantly, i've have cars bottom out before but this is gnarly!

I bought this car because I wanted a sick build but the luxury of a Lexus. Right now I may as well be driving my old school pick-up on hydraulics from when I was a kid.

I know an air ride will solve all problems, I can slam it (even lower then now) and I can raise it for the smooth ride I should have.

Let me mention I'm not young anymore and have been driving Porsches and Benz' for a while, this Lexus is a big toy for me I wanted to screw with. I'm a huge fan of static drop, takes more ba!!s to ride static, but I think I'm just too old for this.

I've price an UAS system and have done all my enquiries. It's money I didn't plan on spending too!

What are some of your thought?
Old 05-05-11, 06:39 PM
sticky4
Pole Position

Sorry this is the only photo I am willing to post as the rear quarters are busted! Haha

Back in the body shop in a couple weeks.

Old 05-05-11, 07:45 PM
2001LexusIS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you're going back to shop for body work, cant u get them to flare your rear quater panels?
Old 05-05-11, 08:04 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What are some of your thought?
The whole concept is beyond my comprehension. Too many negatives from costs to ride sacrifices that I can't even begin to truly understand why people do it. Worst part is, for me, it doesn't even look good. :P

Last edited by BinaryJay; 05-05-11 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 08:33 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

I don t understand why people that have nothing productive to say even respond to threads like this. Anyway, what coils are you running? I don t have problems with the suspension bottoming out my wheels tuck and clear. I had a 300lbs dude in my back seat & a 250lbs guy in my front seat today riding down the road. You are slightly lower than me in the rear I'm tucking tire until the lip protector of the tire. I am all about static but if your build would be better served to run air and you have the bread, by allmeans hollar at Zack at Uas. Good luck bro!
Old 05-06-11, 04:32 AM
sticky4
Pole Position

I'm running Megan's. The springs are soft...
Old 05-06-11, 07:41 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

better go with air,,,
Old 05-06-11, 10:57 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

One thing to remember is your car is AWD. With springs or coils, your ride will be rougher than a RWD because of the axle issue in the front. If you are on air, you can achieve the look you want and raise it up while you are driving to retail that smooth ride.

My vote is for air. Its a lot more, but I think with this type of build, you wont regret it.
Old 05-06-11, 12:29 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

How much were you looking at for the UAS setup? Do you plan on getting a digital controller with it?
Old 05-06-11, 12:58 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky4
Back in the body shop in a couple weeks.
while your their have them do something like we do for our 2nd gen GS's uca hitting (this is the banging in the front your hearing when you hit a bump)

this is the proper way to do it cut them out and have it boxed up

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...clearance.html

a few other ways to do them, just not as clean

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...er-and-me.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ly-did-it.html
Old 05-06-11, 01:39 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my honest opinion. Not I've driven on springs, coilovers and now air. I can honestly say aig bags are definitely the way to go. There are are lot of haters who knock bags for comforts and etc but personally I think they just dont have them set up properly. I went with Air Force air suspension and I think it rides friggin great. The kits range from 2-3k depending how many bells and whistles you want.

Now if you cheap out and get an air system that only goes full up or full down it will ride like s#!t. My system comes with 3 presets.

1 (Low) slammed and pancaked on the ground. I can actually drive this low but imagine driving with a shock without spring hahahah (NOT Recommended)

2 (Med) I preset this for my drive level. It sits just a little lower than it did with Tanabe DF210 lowering springs. Basically I drive at the same level I would if I were to run coilovers. Since the bags are not fully inflated it makes a much softer and comfortable ride. You can also adjust the dampening to your comfort level. Personally I feel it is almost as comfortable as stock suspension.

3 (High) I have this programed to stock right height. at this height the ride is pretty firm due to more pressure in the bag. I use this setting for entering sleep driveways and high speed bumps. Since I can adjust the height while driving with the wireless remote, this really comes in handy. Surprisingly that still is not fully inflated. If I fully inflate the bag it is higher than stock and drives like s#!t because its so firm.
Old 05-06-11, 03:53 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

I went to Air Force's website. http://www.airforce-sus.com/product.htm

Man, they look just like the K-sport kits.
Old 05-06-11, 04:15 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the k-sport is nice like a coilover with a bag. im runnig megans coilovers and im pretty low dont know how low but i have no prob with mine but i have all the finder mods also (roll and pull) you should ask your body shop to do the same make a world of a differecne
Old 05-06-11, 05:25 PM
sticky4
Pole Position

Cutting holes for the UCA is a good idea, albeit serious dedication to being low!

I would go with a UAS system because it gives me the vesatily to set the lowest height. The Ksport looks good but no one is really running them so I have no reference.

I want a basic set up, up and down. I don't even want people to notice it moving, not looking to show off that way. Just want to be low and still enjoy my car...
Old 05-06-11, 06:32 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky4
Cutting holes for the UCA is a good idea, albeit serious dedication to being low!

I would go with a UAS system because it gives me the vesatily to set the lowest height. The Ksport looks good but no one is really running them so I have no reference.

I want a basic set up, up and down. I don't even want people to notice it moving, not looking to show off that way. Just want to be low and still enjoy my car...
Uhmm I just gave a review :P K-sport, D2 and Air Force are all made in the same factory.

But you are wrong about UAS giving you the versatility to set the lowest height. If you plan to use your factory struts or KYB or Bilstein or anything along those lines you'll only have the adjustable of the bag. since Air Force has adjustable sleeves you have much more adjustable to set it. Technically you can even set it lower then the car can even handle if done right. If you only get a system that is UP and DOWN then your car will look like a 4x4 (higher than stock) fully inflated and pancaked when parked. Unless you buy additional pressure sensors and height controller. I would opt for one with a digital read out so you can actually see how much pressure is in each bag. The Air force one controls and tells you how much pressure from the LCD remote.

There are quite a few members running the Air Force/K-sports kits but you just gotta look. Here is another review

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ch-review.html

Quick Reply: Dilemma - To air or not to air????