Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Coilover installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 10:16 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I will get an alignment done once I fix the ride height. Does anyone know if you can adjust camber without a kit? If not, what is a good camber kit, I know Megan offers one, but I didn't hear anything good about their products.
Old 05-20-11, 11:45 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Only Megan and FIGS have camber kits for our rears that I know of. I have the rear kit from FIGS, see here. Its two pieces, the lower control Mega arms and the toe links. The Megan kit is three bars, two camber and the toe.

As for the front, the AWD has a partial adjustment, so I didn't need one (although technically I am out of spec nor am I dumped). FIGS is in the process of making an upper control arm for camber. I don't know if its done yet. SPC makes adjustable upper control arm ball joints to replace the stock ball joints. They are around $180+-. I think a few of the ISx50 guys have successfully installed those. There is a thread on the 2IS forum.
Old 05-20-11, 12:23 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Looking forward to seeing some pics soon!
Old 05-20-11, 09:33 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven t heard anything negative about the Megan camber arms the IS x50 rears work on our car and TopSpeed IS300 front camber kit works on our ride VIPNISS has them on his car and likes em I am not running any arms I have my toe in spec and my camber is at 3.3 and 3.5 in the rear and 3.0 and 2.9 in the front my tires have actually been wearing really good considering the camber and stretched tire especially with my driving habits I do not drive my car like a ***** I push that micky blicky!!!
Old 05-21-11, 03:46 AM
turbon50
Driver

I just installed coilovers too. I must say I must have taken off those rims off like 5 times. Is there any way to get the height down faster? I don't want to ride slammed as my girl drives the car too.
Old 05-21-11, 12:05 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

So it seems like I don't need a front camber kit since AWD already has a partial adjustment. So how many camber kits would I need for the rear, one for each wheel? Also what is toe?
Old 05-21-11, 12:08 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

N also does that mean if I took my car in for an alignment, they could also adjust the front camber?
Old 05-21-11, 04:52 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Yeah the AWD's have a stock bolt that can adjust the camber. Question is, are you going for positive or negative camber? Many guys on CL want to run more negative to tuck the wheels. Personaly, I want my tires to be in spec with factory settings because I don't prefer to buy tires every year or so. Also depends on how low you are. I'm was at a -1.5 in the front equally, and I was a -2.0 in the rear before the camber kit. The front was the closest to spec I could get and the rear needed a kit bad. With the FIGS kit, I'm back to spec, -1.0 I believe.

Toe is more important than camber. If you do add a camber kit, the toe bars are a must. You would need both sides, left and right, but most kits are already both sides. It just depends on which route you wanna take.
Old 05-22-11, 01:40 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Yeah the AWD's have a stock bolt that can adjust the camber. Question is, are you going for positive or negative camber? Many guys on CL want to run more negative to tuck the wheels. Personaly, I want my tires to be in spec with factory settings because I don't prefer to buy tires every year or so. Also depends on how low you are. I'm was at a -1.5 in the front equally, and I was a -2.0 in the rear before the camber kit. The front was the closest to spec I could get and the rear needed a kit bad. With the FIGS kit, I'm back to spec, -1.0 I believe.

Toe is more important than camber. If you do add a camber kit, the toe bars are a must. You would need both sides, left and right, but most kits are already both sides. It just depends on which route you wanna take.
Well I want to tuck but I'm worried about tire wear. I see the inside of my tire wearing a lot faster than the outside especially on the rear wheels. This was the case even before I went on coils. So I'm thinking I could get the rear camber kit or kits (how many do I need, 1 kit for each wheel?) And then I would adjust front camber with the stock adjustments.
Old 05-23-11, 06:59 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since you said you are AWD, then the vibrations are most likely due to that. Vibrations on AWD after lowering is a known issue.
Old 05-23-11, 07:21 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure, I doubt it since I didn't have vibrations on springs. I have to remove and remount the wheels then drive it more. Been real busy and haven't drove it since the night of installation.
Old 05-23-11, 12:41 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Lex, each part you buy will come with the left and right side. With that said, you will have to buy 3 Megan bars for the back (as a set, you will get 6 bars total - 3 for each side) or FIGS Mega Arms and toe links. It will depend on you but those are the only two manufactures that make products to adjust the rear camber on our cars. Also, if you are going to lower your car enough to tuck your wheels, I would suggest a kit for up front. The stock adjustment may not be enough for you. I am a little out of spec in the front and I already see uneven tire wear after 6 months, enough to go and get my wheels flipped. I don't know all the companies out there for the front, but SPC and FIGS make kits to correct camber in the front.

Vibration has been pretty much nailed down to the front axles. 187 is doing some work on his AWD to fix, which sounds really hopefull. We should find out soon. Thread of his work is in the suspension area of the 3GS forum.

Good luck...