Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Ordering Vossens this week, Tire and Tanabe Sping ?s/help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 01:11 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering Vossens this week, Tire and Tanabe Sping ?s/help!

I am about to order some Vossen VVS083's(not sure from who yet)....the basic sizes available that appear everyone with a 3rd gen GS is running. 20x10.5 and 20x9.....I am also going to do springs, most likely the tanabe DF's.....I need to know if I will have any fitment/rubbing issues with a set of fresh tires I have off my old wheels....the tires are Nitto Nt555's,....they are 275/30/20's for the rear and 245/35/20 for the front. I know they are close to what people are running but there is an extra .5 inch on each wheel than my last set, but do not feel like ordering new tires as well......

Also does anyone know any issues with a similar set up with clearance....and if I can go with the Tanabe DF springs without any issues......any help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Ernie

Last edited by SLVRGS; 08-15-11 at 01:12 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 08-15-11, 01:57 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vossen is a vendor here pm mike he will answer any questions you have
Mike@Vossen

Last edited by Mike1970; 08-15-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 03:33 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Vossen advised me.....that Discount Tire by me was a vendor so I went there just to get some prices and ended up running into a buddy that has taken care of me there before at other area stores in the past, I didn't know what store he was at. I just ordered the wheels, he gave me a good price, similar to what I seen the vendors offer for on here. My front tires the 245/35/20 were just a little off from what is recomended but I think I should be good......we will see about the lowering.....hope I dont have to roll the fenders or anything
Old 08-15-11, 03:45 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

hope I dont have to roll the fenders or anything[/QUOTE]

rolling the finders is going to be a must if you dont want them to rub
Old 08-15-11, 03:49 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

The real question is:

Which rear offset did you choose? There are two for our cars, +39 and +45.

With 245/35 and 275/30 you might rub just a little, but I presume with springs only, you will rub front and rear, so you will need to shave your rears ( or roll if the body shop is good enough ) and remove liner from front fenders.

A safer tire choice would be 245/30 and 285/25 but they are hard to get!
Old 08-15-11, 04:21 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

There are two for our cars, +39 and +45?????? Great.....I didn't choose....which ones should I get?????...they didn't give him the option.......I need to see the offset differences or which ones will have the least chance of rubbing.......modding is just so fun isn't it....
Old 08-15-11, 05:17 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The +45 option will be less likely to rub if it rubs just shave the fenders slightly and you may need to trim the bumper bracket where the rear quarter and bumper meet really no the serious of a job just need to paint the bare metal to prevent rust. Btw Springs don t lower the car evenly so expect to have larger wheel/fender gaps on the passenger side than the drivers if you can hack it Id go coilovers, they also will have a better ride quality depending on which ones you roll with!!!
Old 08-15-11, 07:34 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Thanks all.....so the +45 offset...I am going to have to check on if that is what is coming....I was totally planning on coilovers initially....but since I am not worried about slamming it to the damn ground....my suspension is pretty new...was just going to try the springs first...Looked into the Megan Coilovers...but seen the price of their regular springs, and seen they are pretty new here, I assumed the quality to be jus so so....also do not want to get too crazy into spending....
Old 08-15-11, 08:19 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

I have megan coilovers they ride just as good as stock if not better
Old 08-15-11, 08:32 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are worried about rubbing I would go with the higher offset.
Old 08-16-11, 07:23 PM
RUNNINL8
Driver School Candidate

Ya, the higher offset is the way to go if you don't want rubbing issues. A 9.5-10 inch wide rim in the back may still require minor fender rolling, but with a 45 off, prob not. If you install a camber correction kit after though, this will move the tops of the tires back out towards the fenders though. I have an 06 GS 300 AWD, which is typically known for having a "higher" stance than the 2 wd models. I just installed the Tanabe NF springs in mine, and Tanabe shows 1.3" Front & .9" Rear- No Way! It was more like 2" front, and 1.9" rear. I will have to post some pics soon. I actually started to order the DF spring because they were a little lower (I was wanting about a 1.5-1.75" drop), but the salesman at Tanabe actually recommended that I not go that low. Thank god I took his advice, because it would dropped it 2.5"+! The Tanabe springs ride really good, and I installed 20x8.5" wheels all the way around with no rubbing. Think my offset was 43, if I remember right. I am wanting to do the Megan camber kits, but I am scared I will get rubbing once I straighten the tires out. Hope this helped...
Old 08-17-11, 07:17 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

RUNNINL8.........thanks for the info but you are killing me lol....I did go with the 45 offset in the rear.....but are you serious about the drop with the NF's? I am thinking about where you were with wanting a drop somewhere in between....but do not want to be disappointed with the NF's with not being low enough as I have seen a lot of people complain about that and switch to the DF's. If it wasn't the most $$ ive spent on a pretty new car....I'd just slam it but don't want it to be too low either......decisions, decisions as I am ordering springs within the next day.......wth...
Old 08-17-11, 08:39 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking for the thread where the CL member posted pics of his GS on DF and then on NF. It was great to see the difference.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for going with Vossen SLVRGS!!!!
Old 08-17-11, 10:52 AM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

i just found this thread is this the one ?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ghlight=VOSSEN
Old 08-17-11, 11:52 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

I just ordered the DF's.....even though is riding season on my harley.....I can't wait to get my new GS where it needs to be.......that thread you posted Mike1970, I seen that one before, but no one indicates their suspension accept the 1st one on coils....I am guessing the silver one with the VSS083's with the black finish has NF's or similar and 1sicklex has coils or the DF's......the silver one with the not so low drop confirms I want to go lower...hope I made the right choices.....I'm excited like it's christmas even way more excited than trading my 2nd gen in for the 3rd gen....should have it all by beginning of next week....

Quick Reply: Ordering Vossens this week, Tire and Tanabe Sping ?s/help!