Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 01:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

NEED HELP!!! Front Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 01:05 PM
louisp_p
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!!! Front Knocking Noise

I don't know what happened to my 08 GS350 but here is the story. I installed NF210 spring(new) 1.5 years ago and F sport sway bar(new with new bushing) 1 year ago. No noise was found before.

Two months ago, I brought my car to dealer to do 56k service, and they told me I only had 5% left on my brake pad and quote me $500+ for new front pad and machined rotors. A bit too expensive for me, so I decide to purchase the brake pad by myself. I went back home and search around, decided to purchase EBC brake pad from one of the vendor here.

After about a week (still running with the old brake pad), the car started to make a knocking noise while rolling. Initially, I thought I got nail on my tire but actually my tires were fine. Had them inspected by tire shop and nothing was found. The noise tempo grew as the speed built up. After a while, I found that when I brake, the noise disappeared. When I made a turn(right and left), the noise disappeared. But after the turn(back to straight), the noise came back again.
Then I thought, ok, probably it's because of the old brake pad. So I just kept waiting....kept waiting... for about a month(that was a long wait for the pads but no big deal).

Before the brake pad arrived, a new noise was found. While driving through speed bump or very bumpy road, a scrubing noise came out from the driver side(not 100% sure, probably both sides). I thought probably my springs were too old (become softer and lower), so the tire scrub the fender while pass through speed bump. I really have to go very very slow to avoid the noise. But it only happen at the front, and non was found at the rear. Why??
End up I decide to change back to OEM spring so it won't scrub anymore.

Yesterday, I finally get both the oem spring and new brake pad installed. Enjoy the comfortable ride for 5 minutes. BOTH NOISE CAME BACK AGAIN!!!! @@#$%&*$

Now I feel like it's because of the F sport sway bar.........Do they need new bushing once a year? Can somebody please help me?!

PS: I didn't installed the sway bar at dealership because they don't carry them in Canada. So no warranty from dealer this time.

Last edited by louisp_p; 12-22-11 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 02:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yea not your springs...

I would start by checking all your bolts on the front suspension since the dealer just did a service. Make sure they didnt make an error and not tighten or forget something. If all looks good then the next thing I would check is your dust shields behind your rotors and make sure they didnt get bent and are rubbing. IF this is the case you can just push them back with your hand. I had this happen once on the GS for some odd reason.

If this doesnt solve then I would rule out and say its your sway bar.
Old 12-22-11, 03:56 PM
louisp_p
Driver

Hum.... I just did the spring swap yesterday, so the bolts must be re-tightened correct?(they have to take off the suspension in order to install the spring?!)

Anyways, thanks for the info! I will go check them later tonight. The noise is so annoying makes me wanna sell this car right away......= =
Old 12-22-11, 05:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

No I mean other bolts to the suspension/BBK area...Of course you can double check your work but since the noise was already there I doubt this is the issue. How did you take the suspension out to install or change the springs?
Old 12-22-11, 09:20 PM
louisp_p
Driver

lol..I am not a mechanic so I totally have no idea how everything works. Would you recommend me send my car to lexus dealer or other mechanic?
Old 12-23-11, 03:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by louisp_p
The noise tempo grew as the speed built up.
this is the key part to the story. it has to be something on your brakes. i would check your caliper and rotors.
Old 12-23-11, 05:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by louisp_p
lol..I am not a mechanic so I totally have no idea how everything works. Would you recommend me send my car to lexus dealer or other mechanic?

Ok well just look things over, if you lift up the front and take off the rims, you can use the pics I posted in the DIY lower your GS thread, and check the bolts that I pointed out. Next thing is to check the dust shield behind the rotor. Its about 3/4 of a circle and its very easy for this to bend so that the rotor will rub as you drive. I had something kick up and throw mine off and it did the same thing as your describing. If these all look fine then get under the car if you feel confident and just tighten the bolts on the sway bar. If these dont point anything out then have someone help you or take it to the dealer.