Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

KW coil

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 05:49 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand by that comment, even though it wasn't aimed at Mike, or anyone in particular for that matter.

My point was that the OP is reliant upon people whom he has no knowledge of their areas of expertise, to help him spend $2K+ on parts he has no knowledge himself of how to set up properly and safely.
One member has already spent $1250 on BCRs, and is now facing a big loss after only 24 hours of having them put in and removed again - all because he too followed the herd mentality.

As Mike isn't a suspension designer, and whilst only confirming the interchangeability of certain parts between Lexus models, his reply could be construed as pushing the OP into being the forum guinea pig at trying the KW suspension in a 3GS.
On that basis, I consider my remark wholly justified, and if it's made the OP stop and think for a minute, or even pick up the phone to KW for advice/confirmation, then job done.
At least he'll not be going into the purchase all dewy-eyed and naive.

I still think he's daft, but then impetuousness of youth and bragging rights are all strong countermeasures to wisdom and common sense.
Old 08-21-12, 06:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ wow you dont know much about the car you drive then do you???

The OP said they don't make KW for this car when in fact they do Check out the OEM part numbers for all the suspension on the RWD GS and RWD IS....report back what is different.....or I can save you the time and tell you they are NOT different. Everything is the same. Even the vendor that posted the ride will be different WRONG!!! LOL people just post and have no clue what they are talking about.

I love it these new members on here that post and have no clue what they are talking about. If someone wants to "trust" your word that is their choice.

Funny I was the one that found all of this out and even test fit to confirm..Megan now shows they make rear suspension arms for the GS but guess who found this out. This guy right here

If you post for advice your going to get it. There are plenty of members and moderators in this section that know this car better then a tech at a Lexus dealer will ever know.

OP what you really need is to ride in another car to see if you like how the car feels. Why your worried about what your passengers think in a lowered car is beyond me. The HKS is said to be a very plush like ride but I wouldn't be able to confirm from experience but trust my sources. Or your going to have to purchase and try them and see what you think and possible end up back where your at today worried about what your passengers think.
Old 08-21-12, 07:19 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

I didn't know the OE suspension part numbers were the same for 2IS and 3GS, no - but then why should I?

I was the one who said KW wasn't made for the GS - and that's still the case until KW amend their product matrix.
The fact the OE parts may be wholly interchangeable doesn't strictly mean the design KW have settled on for the IS is too - but all things being equal, I will concede it's more than likely to be the case.

In respect of advising the OP to drive/get driven in other cars, that's good advice, but as no-one has offered him to be a passenger in theirs to see what he thinks, it looks like he's having to (and prepared to) buy blind - and as you can see from a reply above, he's concerned about wasting a considerable amount of money in case it doesn't deliver what he's aiming for.
Old 08-21-12, 10:56 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

They WILL fit. As I said they aren't sprung/valved for the GS specifically, so it may be a bit soft, but if that what he wants they will fit.

Other option is to use the IS-F, coilovers, they are stiffer setup.

Now clearly they aren't made for the Gs, but they will fit.
Old 08-21-12, 03:25 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

As much as the OE suspension may be a shared part number, the same is not true of the F-Sport springs and shocks.
I've just spoken to Sewell Parts, and the shocks are all different part numbers for the IS sedan, convertible, and the GS.
Equally, the F-Sport springs are 25mm all round on the GS, 25/19 (F/R) on the Sedan, and 32/22 on the ISC.
So from all that, I would say whilst suspension designed for the IS Sedan will technically fit both the ISC and GS, how they'd interact with road undulations is unknown, not to mention the sway bar rates, and centre of gravity of each model.

As the OP wants to retain some semblance of luxury/comfort in his car for his passengers, and that's his right to maintain, then I would say he's best served by the F-Sport springs on his standard shocks.
At least that way, he doesn't get himself tied up in knots trying to figure out how to set up his 3-way adjustable KWs, only to never be satisfied because he can't find the sweet spot/compromise he's looking for.

@gs350RWD - if you really, really, really want to splurge $2K+ on a set of coilovers, I'd point you in the direction of RS*R and their Luxury Best☆i.
From a translation of their Japanese website, I took from it they offer a satisfaction guaranteed service.
Whether that extends to the US arm or just the domestic market, you'd have to ascertain for yourself.
If I've gathered that correctly, then it might be worth asking KW if they have a similar policy.

Our vendor member above might work on your behalf with KW to help you out, but I find it mildly ironic that his own website doesn't list or mention interchangeability with the GS - albeit with some caveats noted.
Wonder if that's a legal disclaimer thing?

Anyway, that's me out - I've given you a few things to think about and enact. I hope whichever path you wind up treading, it gives you the setup you're looking for.
Old 08-21-12, 10:54 PM
gs350RWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It did already dude, i dont wanna call any company yet because all they do is sales talk the customer. So i came here to get bunch of information then decide at the end. For now ive been online checking out some stuff which is the right parts for my car. I already wasted money on SS which is really a great coil with great performance. it just suck when u kept hearing comment how your car ride feels.

So any suggestion besides Tein CS and BC w/swift springs?