Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

KW coil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 07:20 PM
gs350RWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KW coil

anyone here has KW street comfort or any KW on their gs350? I want to hear feedback or suggestion. Are they better than tein CS or BC?
Old 08-14-12, 09:23 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A quick bit of searching and looking through KW's German site, as well as the US one, shows no indication that the 3GS Lexus is a model that they cater for.
Where did you see/hear that they do?
Are you confusing KW with KSport?
Old 08-15-12, 09:24 PM
gs350RWD
Rookie

So they dont carry KW for lexus gs350? One of my friend told me dont go BC coils, too much horror stories. So i am really confused atm. Tein SS spring rates are 500+ it is hard for SF cali road. So i am really searching for a new coil or maybe lowering springs. Do u know if ground control got parts for 08 gs350? Been searching, cant find annything.
Old 08-15-12, 09:33 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Talking through a distributor I got my BCR's from, and about 5-10 people.... no one has had any horror stories on BCR Coilovers.... can you give me some insight on what's happened to user's vehicles?
Old 08-16-12, 04:10 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Springs available from Swift, Espelir, Tanabe, Eibach, and Lexus in the shape of F-Sport.
Coilovers from Megan, BCR, RS-R, Stance, HKS, Öhlins, Tanabe, Starke, HKS, You Zealand, and more.

When it comes to coilovers, I don't have any great affinity for the mundane low cost ones, as they are pretty much all a generic off-the-shelf offering with minor tweaks here and there.
Of course, it's a case of getting what you pay for, so when you spend $3.5K on Öhlins, you're getting a very different performing coilover that's designed from 1st principles in-house, to meet specific performance parameters.

Good post here on the merits of spending the extra on a proper setup - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7291456-post33.html

Last edited by Boron; 08-16-12 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-18-12, 05:57 PM
gs350RWD
Rookie

stance and KW dont offer coilover for Gs350. Is it possible to put softer rate springs on tein SS?
Old 08-19-12, 12:49 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 469 Likes on 291 Posts

I have BCR's and I am very very happy with them!
Old 08-19-12, 02:57 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs350RWD
stance and KW dont offer coilover for Gs350. Is it possible to put softer rate springs on tein SS?
It is possible, but how well the design is set up for large changes in spring rate is unknown.
If it's not been designed for anything but the spring rates supplied, then the answer is you'll end up with sloppy feeling suspension, or shocks that fail prematurely because the valving is all wrong for the amount of deflection they will pass to the shock absorber.
Of course, premature failure might be long after you've sold the car.
Bottom line, it's only conjecture at this point until Tein confirm or contradict it.
Old 08-19-12, 06:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldnt just change the springs. I thing either run them at 16 both front and rear and it the ride is not what you want, F your passengers, then swap them out. I think BCR coils are more adjustable in the settings but never been in a Lexus with them.

HKS Hypermax III CLX
KW Variant Coils (yes these will work, 3gen GS and IS350 RWD cars share the same OEM suspension)

you can search for other brands but if you see they work on the IS350 they will also work on the GS430/GS350/GS460 RWD models also
Old 08-19-12, 05:53 PM
gs350RWD
Rookie

I dont think KW for is350 fits the 3gs. I checked it even in ebay it will tell u which car it will fit besides the IS350.. And it clearly say's that it wont fit on Gs350..
Old 08-20-12, 09:12 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

You can get a Is250/350 kit and it will fit, may be a bit too soft for some people.

BC's are fine, you won't have any "horror stories" with those.

If you want some help on a coilover kit hit us up and we can help, we know a lot about suspensions and deal with them on a daily basis.
Old 08-20-12, 09:42 PM
gs350RWD
Rookie

Ok i need help, to be honest my number one pick is the KW. So if i buy kit for is350 on KW brands it will fit my 08 gs350 rwd right? I just wanna make sure, i dont wanna spend or waste more money.
Old 08-20-12, 09:43 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Man youre serious about this coilover thing, best of luck
Old 08-21-12, 04:41 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Ok i need help, to be honest my number one pick is the KW. So if i buy kit for is350 on KW brands it will fit my 08 gs350 rwd right? I just wanna make sure, i dont wanna spend or waste more money.
You must have more money than sense!
Last thing I'd be doing, is relying on a bunch of strangers who all happen to drive the same brand/model of car, advising you to throw £2K+ at your car.
Seriously, you do need help, but not type you're thinking of.

The year is 2012, there's this thing call a telephone (it's only be around for 100 years!), which if you pick it up and press some numbers, you get to speak to someone from KW where you'll obtain the correct advice on suitability.
That they don't show it on their drop-downs suggests to me they've never put it on a GS, which whilst sharing the same chassis with the 2G IS, the 350 is 104 kg (230 lb) heavier, and the weight distribution won't be evenly split between all four corners.

Personally, and I can only speak for myself, I'd put F-Sport springs and shocks on it, and accept it's not dragging its **** around, but a good 20mm drop is fine for most owners wanting to retain some semblance of ride quality as per the engineers's brief.
Coupled with F-Sport anti-roll bars front and rear if you've all that money burning a hole in your pocket, and a front strut bar.
That, IMO, would yield a far better handling car than one with expensive suspension fitted, incorrectly set up, and dropping the car another 10-20mm.

For me, that'd be a better spend of less money than putting KWs in, which may or may not be sprung correctly, not to mention suitably valved, with adjustments for compression and rebound damping, which you have not got the foggiest clue on how to set.

As you're unlikely to be tracking the car, or doing much street racing, then a see bugger all point in putting that level of suspension in for driving down Main St, bar the massaging your ego will receive.
Then there's the camber issue - but you've overlooked or dismissed that as one of the acceptable compromises to make in achieving your goal.

If you do go ahead with it, I hope it doesn't come back to bite you on the butt as an expensive mistake.
Old 08-21-12, 04:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont think KW for is350 fits the 3gs. I checked it even in ebay it will tell u which car it will fit besides the IS350.. And it clearly say's that it wont fit on Gs350..
lol dont rely on ebay. is250 and 350 share the same suspension, even the BCRs for the 3GS are labeled as IS250/350

Originally Posted by Boron
Last thing I'd be doing, is relying on a bunch of strangers who all happen to drive the same brand/model of car, advising you to throw £2K+ at your car.
Seriously, you do need help, but not type you're thinking of.
every single one of your post you have some type of smart *** answer. trust me, there are several of us on this board that know these cars and mike is one of them from then extensive research and proven parts from the 2IS that he has used.

Quick Reply: KW coil