Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Swift Sport Spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 06:17 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by 4GS350
I just release most front and rear arm and links and re-tighten them under load when changing to Swift springs. After that had an alignment done.
This is the same that I did when I installed mine.
Old 03-11-23, 05:57 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Ahh no. Was not aware? Upper, Lower, Front Rear? Which and how?

Anybody else done this that installed? That Spring install wore me out.
Loosen the control arm bolts and endlinks, compress the suspension, retorque.
Old 03-12-23, 10:41 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Loosen the control arm bolts and endlinks, compress the suspension, retorque.
OK. I looked this up a bit after you mentioned if. Can you kind of explain to us what this does more, why and the end result/affect?

Thanks for the tip. I am much better at many other car things than I am with body work/parts and suspension. lol!
Old 03-12-23, 05:07 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

OK. I looked this up a bit after you mentioned if. Can you kind of explain to us what this does more, why and the end result/affect?

Thanks for the tip. I am much better at many other car things than I am with body work/parts and suspension. lol!
Control arm bushings are bonded to the metal collar that the bolt threads through. When you torque down the bolt, that sleeve is fixed in place and the bushing twists as the arm articulates.

When you lower your car, the control arm angles change, putting those bushings in tension (preload). The resistance of the bushing increases the further you twist it, which acts as a progressive spring. The net result is additional spring rate, additional wear/softening on your control arm bushings, and often a suspension that will not completely settle.

After you lower the car, loosen the control arm bolts to free all the bushing collars, allowing the control arms to swing freely. Then load the suspension (put a jack under the control arm) so the control arms are at correct angle for the new lower height and retorque the control arm bolts, locking the bushing collar in place at the new height with no preload.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197351
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-your-bushings
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917869

This is why I am doing my own spring install. I don't trust a shop to do this for me. Either they'll just not do it, or they'll skip it to save time and still charge me for the labor.
Old 03-12-23, 06:55 PM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I learnt that the expensive way when i sent my previous BMW E90 to a shop to install coilovers. They just slapped the thing in and called it a day and the next day the front lower arms on both side gave up. The rubber was torn outright....so unless you are running Monoball or spherical bearings in your suspension arms, you need to 'unload' the tension if there is a change in height. Just a sensible procedure.
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (03-12-23)