Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

need comfortable coil over's for a 2006 gs430

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 03:24 PM
Tamaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock 2006 GS430 and looking to replace all shocks/struts/bushing/etc at the same time. I do NOT want to lower it or have it ride like crap. This is my wifes car and don't need to hear it from her. The car has 136,000 miles on it and we plan to keep it for a while. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 07-29-13, 10:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamaro
I have a stock 2006 GS430 and looking to replace all shocks/struts/bushing/etc at the same time. I do NOT want to lower it or have it ride like crap. This is my wifes car and don't need to hear it from her. The car has 136,000 miles on it and we plan to keep it for a while. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Shocks and struts are the same thing. Why do you want to replace the bushings? You could go with aftermarket bushings which cost more but are more reliable..... You could also get BCR's or Megans which are also more reliable than O.E. from personal experience.... The trade off would be a slightly stiffer ride experience, if not there's a thread down below in the suspension section that has a guy explaining how to replace with all O.E. struts.
Old 07-30-13, 07:35 AM
Tamaro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Shocks and struts are the same thing. Why do you want to replace the bushings? You could go with aftermarket bushings which cost more but are more reliable..... You could also get BCR's or Megans which are also more reliable than O.E. from personal experience.... The trade off would be a slightly stiffer ride experience, if not there's a thread down below in the suspension section that has a guy explaining how to replace with all O.E. struts.
I want to make sure it is done right the first time. I don't want to order just the struts and get in there and find out something else needs replaced. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-13, 11:00 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamaro
I want to make sure it is done right the first time. I don't want to order just the struts and get in there and find out something else needs replaced. Thanks for your help.
you never know until you start taking it apart. if you have the original mounts, id say you probably could use strut mounts as well then
Old 07-30-13, 07:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you never know until you start taking it apart. if you have the original mounts, id say you probably could use strut mounts as well then
Agreed, unless it is for preventative measures, I wouldn't change anything out really. At the end of the day, it does save a buck or two just replacing what is known to be needed. One more question though....

Is the car squeeking or squeeling when you hit bumps and whatnot? What's the ride like? Does it feel like the car wants to fall apart when you hit a bump? Otherwise all you seriously need are new struts.

Also, some food for thought..... I felt no difference when my struts went out compared to my newly replaced struts. Only reason why I changed my struts out was because my tires were chopping and Lexus told me my struts were all blown.
Old 05-06-21, 07:24 AM
spaceman10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by worker
than y did you change?

I love the OEM coil but at times I wish there is a "soft" switch when driving on DC road. Horrible roads in DC. Lots of pot holes. And than there is my local road, it's very old and they only fill up the potholes. In about 1 week the fill is gone and the pothole is back.

Had one of my tire blew once due to a pothole. They were fixing the road but they left a huge pothole un-fill. It was dark and I didn't see the hole. A loud BOOM when the wheel hit it, I could hear air was leaking right away. Luckily the rim was ok. Sux changing the spare at night. But oh well.
I read your words "wish there is a SOFT switch". I have a 2007 GS450h, and wish it had a soft switch, I live in sunny Queensland Australia and we have plenty of pot holes and bumpy roads. I have the original OEM suspension, and have asked Lexus Australia can i make it softer, and they say sorry we don't go outside our square that we live in. I see the more recent GS models have a soft button, not only a normal and sports, so soft is in demand.

Can anyone suggest how if I can best make my suspension softer without it handling like a boat on water . Someone told me you could trick the ICU to set sport as true normal, then by default normal becomes truly soft. maybe they were dreaming, i'm not sure.

Anyways, any ideas appreciated. Thank U from the other side in australia