Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Which springs do you recommend?
Tanabe NF210
61.29%
Swift
19.35%
RS*R Super Down
16.13%
Different Brand (if chosen please post which one)
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Which Springs to get for ride comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 12:57 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which Springs to get for ride comfort?

Ok guys so I'm contemplating getting some lowering springs for my 4GS-F, I just have one issue, ride quality. On my previous 2GS I had coilovers and had so many issues due to lowering the car I swore I'd never mess with suspension again (almost tore off a fender going up an inclined driveway with my wheel turned, scraping cement parking stops, rubbing, rough ride, etc.). But let's be honest, the 4GS sits wayyyy to high and I want to lower the car without having issues. I know I'm being picky here but please try to help me out.

I'm looking for springs that will lower the car, not slam it lol, and make it look nicer/sportier while improving handling. I'm trying to avoid camber issues as well as the issues I listed above, while maintaining the most comfortable ride possible. So far I'm choosing between the Tanabe NF210's, Swift springs, or RS*R down springs (which appear to be the most popular). For those of you that own any of these, what do you like/dislike about them? For those that have owned multiple and changed them for any reason, which ones were better? And if anyone has a different brand that they love and can recommend please list it here, I'm open to all suggestions.

Lastly, if there's anyone in the Kendall/Miami area with these springs installed who wants to let me test drive the car with lowering springs I'd REALLY appreciate it!

I'm setting up a poll to keep track of the votes, thanks in advance ...
Old 09-06-13, 04:00 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tanabe's have caused me no issues what-so-ever
Old 09-06-13, 06:30 AM
terrycs
Instructor

All of the above offer similar drops so camber should be close with all of them. I have Tanabe on my car and have been very happy with them.

Wife hasn't complained about them even after a Southern CA to Las Vegas drive. They also passed my 80+ year old mother test while improving cornering and decreasing the "boat" feel.

At the moment, they also seem to be the most popular among those that have gone with aftermarket wheels too:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...els-tires.html

Last edited by terrycs; 09-06-13 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 07:57 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Tanabe on, the ride is very nice on it.
Old 09-06-13, 09:28 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SDS or DS?

The poll has super down and the thread has down? I believe you meant Down springs based on your description of what you want (~1 inch drop). I have the super down springs, love the drop and look. the ride is pretty smooth, but not like the stock ride of course. Hard to match that. The alignment (camber front and rear in many cases) issues are well known, and I guess that this change in tire/road contact creates the slight decreased ride quality, from the feel standpoint. I still feel firmly planted at all times and wouldnt change my decision. I have ~2000 miles on my set up, have taken 2 road trips and do not rub in the rear at all. I am wondering how long my rear tires will go though! They still look great. I would say go with Tanabe based on what you are looking for. For the best stance on static, the super downs are where its at.

Last edited by GSthe4th; 09-06-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 09:59 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The Tanabe's have caused me no issues what-so-ever
Originally Posted by terrycs
All of the above offer similar drops so camber should be close with all of them. I have Tanabe on my car and have been very happy with them.

Wife hasn't complained about them even after a Southern CA to Las Vegas drive. They also passed my 80+ year old mother test while improving cornering and decreasing the "boat" feel.

At the moment, they also seem to be the most popular among those that have gone with aftermarket wheels too:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...els-tires.html
Originally Posted by mrpartsman
I have the Tanabe on, the ride is very nice on it.
Thanks guys! So far Tanabe is looking like the best fit for me but I'd like to hear from more people if possible.

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
The poll has super down and the thread has down? I believe you meant Down springs based on your description of what you want (~1 inch drop). I have the super down springs, love the drop and look. the ride is pretty smooth, but not like the stock ride of course. Hard to match that. The alignment (camber front and rear in many cases) issues are well known, and I guess that this change in tire/road contact creates the slight decreased ride quality, from the feel standpoint. I still feel firmly planted at all times and wouldnt change my decision. I have ~2000 miles on my set up, have taken 2 road trips and do not rub in the rear at all. I am wondering how long my rear tires will go though! They still look great. I would say go with Tanabe based on what you are looking for. For the best stance on static, the super downs are where its at.
You're right I meant the down springs not super down (I don't know how to edit the poll though lol), I love the way the super downs look but I just don't want to drive "worried" about hitting small dips and rubbing or scratching my bumpers. With the super downs on, do you clear the cement stops in parking spaces btw?
Old 09-06-13, 10:10 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
You're right I meant the down springs not super down (I don't know how to edit the poll though lol), I love the way the super downs look but I just don't want to drive "worried" about hitting small dips and rubbing or scratching my bumpers. With the super downs on, do you clear the cement stops in parking spaces btw?
It depends on the size of the curb or parking block since not all are created equal. I can clear many but have to be cautious on others. You will just have to get to know the places you travel and park. The easiest way to be sure is just to back in, do it the "cool guy" way, or park in a slot that doesnt have a curb or block.. The only rubs I get are on sharp, quick dips when pulling into places (shopping centers). And that's inner fender lining up front, never duplicated at high speeds or hard cornering. It is easily avoidable by adjusting speed on impact. They are a good option to me, since the camber issues are not too far off from Tanabe's. The look is killer if you are willing!

Last edited by GSthe4th; 09-06-13 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-08-13, 09:16 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

So it looks like the tanabes are the most popular for now. Where is the best place to buy them for a good price? Direct through Tanabe?
Old 10-27-13, 11:49 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:yeahthat: i really would like to know that as well
Old 10-28-13, 05:37 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thISguy350
I ended up buying them from redline360.com for about $200
Old 10-29-13, 01:51 PM
terrycs
Instructor

You should try LSD Motorsport in Cypress.
Old 10-29-13, 06:00 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

do they carry tanabe?
Old 10-29-13, 07:20 PM
advan34i
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tanabe...for sure...i went with RS-R for a lower ride....
Old 10-29-13, 08:08 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

i think that the wheel gap needs to be fixed, i want moar low, but i don't want to sacrifice ride comfort
Old 10-30-13, 02:24 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

i think that the wheel gap needs to be fixed, i want moar low, but i don't want to sacrifice ride comfort
That's always the issue with dropping a car lol. Unfortunately the lower you go, the more ride quality you lose as far as comfort. The RS*Rs look great, but for the way I drive it was just a bit too low, the Tanabe's far exceeded my expectations for comfort.

Quick Reply: Which Springs to get for ride comfort?