Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

BC Racing Coilover issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 09:52 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 469 Likes on 291 Posts
Default BC Racing Coilover issue?

I have BCR's installed.

I feel perhaps there's something wrong with my front driver side shocks. It's really rough when I go over sudden bumps or cat eyes. I don't have a bumpy ride or feel anything odd when going over humps and dips is okay, only when I hit little pot holes or go over cat eyes.. there's a slam which feels like perhaps the coil os topping out or something.

It also makes a popping noise when I am driving out of my drive way sloping downwards and turning right!

Could it be a blown shock? Or a busted bump stop?

Will take the car to the dealer and have it checked, but need a heads up as to what it could be.

And if it is, can I get parts for the BCR coil over??
Old 10-02-13, 10:32 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

could be bottoming out. did you try upping your dampening?

if your shock is blown, you can buy replacements from BC @ i think $100/shock IIRC
Old 10-02-13, 10:47 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

What IXI said. I think you might be bottoming out. How low are you slamming the GS?
Old 10-02-13, 04:21 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
What IXI said. I think you might be bottoming out. How low are you slamming the GS?
The dealer installed them. They didn't touch the settings and installed them with the default settings out of the box.

Old 10-02-13, 06:12 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles do you have on them now?
Old 10-02-13, 10:04 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I can tell you know designo, something's wrong outside of you bottoming out. Unless your control arm on your GS460 is different than my 430.

I sit lower than that and ride over bumps EASILY. My tires tuck a little bit under the wheel well and it drives over bumps knicks cateyes, whatever you want to call the road imperfections (outside of giant potholes that could swallow a whole wheel.... yes, we have that in FL) and no giant THUMP/bottoming out.

I am however, on Air susp, meaning I have bags rather than springs. Still I see no problem outside of your height brother....
Old 10-03-13, 03:26 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
The dealer installed them. They didn't touch the settings and installed them with the default settings out of the box.
id just double check and possibly up the dampening to see if that takes care of the problem. i know my "default" settings werent that great and i have to tweak mine
Old 10-03-13, 09:13 AM
designo
Pole Position

Took a picture earlier, but quite honestly I don't see anything wrong
Will have the dealer check it out on Sat.

I might put my stock shocks back on for a while.

Old 10-03-13, 12:15 PM
XxGoKoUxX

holy moley! It looks like you went mudding with your car!

GL on your issues designo, definitely keep us updated!
Old 10-16-13, 02:11 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

You also want to check and make sure the top 17mm center nut is tight, it's best to check it with an impact gun if you have access to one, a quick hit is all it should need. Or use an allen key to hold the shaft in place and tighten with an open socket or wrench, you don't want the shaft to spin while you are tightening it. A few other areas to check are the lower mounting bolts, the 4 allen bolts that adjust camber, and the 4 lock bolts underneath the pillowball bearing, make sure all of these are tight.

Sometimes noise can come from somehwere else, endlinks, swaybars, and chassis contact can all be problems. Make sure now that the car is lowered and stiffer that you don't have exhaust contact anywhere. These are all common noise issues.
Old 10-17-13, 10:11 AM
designo
Pole Position

The reason for my silence is embarrassing but I'm a humble person.. so here it goes.

Suspension is fine, I had a flat tire!

I will now go and hide for the next week or so.. bye.
Old 10-17-13, 11:02 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The reason for my silence is embarrassing but I'm a humble person.. so here it goes.

easy to make simple mistakes, don't worry about it. double check your rims and make sure you haven't bent or damaged them somehow. also check your tires and make sure they are still OK.
Old 10-17-13, 11:13 AM
XxGoKoUxX

LMAO!!! It's okay.... I once drove a few miles with this huge thumping noise, thinking it was my suspension too. I was scared and didn't know much about cars back then, so I pulled over and called my brother and he came out n goes, "WTF, did you NOT see that huge LUMP in your back tire!??!" I go back there, and there's this gargantuan bubble back there (because I ran the tire so bald it started to form a bubble). Lesson learned from that day on..... Always do your tire rotations, always check your tires before driving, and always make sure you're not cambering too harshly .
Old 10-17-13, 07:34 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome! Lol. Thanks for the laugh. Glad to know it wasn't anything major.
Old 12-20-13, 01:30 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

@ CircuitMS, AWESOME write up!

@designo, LMFAO!!!!!! I needed that laugh today...It happens man. We have all made an embarrassing mistake or two in our lives. Well, not me, but most of us..LOL. J/K. Good times man. Glad you are safe and it was simple.

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilover issue?