Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Camber RSR Down and RSR superdown

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 06:02 AM
jpak000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber RSR Down and RSR superdown

Hey guys, I'm really wanting to drop my '13 gs350 rwd fsport. My only concern is how much my camber will be off after the drop. Had a previous experience of dropping my previous car and my inner tire wear was out of control.

Anyone experience this after your drop on either the RSR down or super down? Do we need to get a camber kit (which is currently unavailable) with these drops?

Also... maybe looking into coilover kits. I read that some comes with camber plates. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-12-14, 11:50 AM
LexFather

So far there hasn't been huge is any issues. Lexus naturally have some inner camber wear but you can go to a shop to change things.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-14, 06:11 PM
jpak000
Driver School Candidate

thanks man. anyone else have any inputs? so tire wear is okay with everyone with both down and superdown rsr springs? please help! thanks
Old 04-14-14, 09:11 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Naturally, superdown springs will have more camber wear than the down springs due to the lower stance. Just make sure to get your car aligned to specs after you install them and you should not run into any issues.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 04-14-14, 11:33 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on the Down Springs and got back into spec's after the install. Its a mild drop but you do not have to worry about changing tires every 7000 miles. The Super Down has the lower drop and from what I've read you would not be within spec but your car would sure look sweet with those on. You can check the suspension sections for more info on the Super Down.
Old 04-18-14, 08:26 PM
mimoz07
Driver School Candidate

Im on the superdown springs -1.2 in the front and -3 in the rear. Camber is quite aggressive but its aligned properly and u have to make sure to rotate ur tires every 5k so it wears out evenly... Will def eat the inside of ur tires but its worth it for me! Good luck
Old 04-20-14, 11:55 PM
leirbag
Driver School Candidate

My car was at -1.2 front and -2.1 rear on super downs. As long as the car's aligned, wear shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-25-14, 06:15 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

Originally Posted by leirbag
My car was at -1.2 front and -2.1 rear on super downs. As long as the car's aligned, wear shouldn't be too bad.
sorry bud that is not aligned and its not in spec either. There is nothing offered for aftermarket camber correction, and if your car is dropped it will be chewing up your tires.
Old 05-03-14, 08:43 PM
leirbag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
sorry bud that is not aligned and its not in spec either. There is nothing offered for aftermarket camber correction, and if your car is dropped it will be chewing up your tires.
When I say aligned, I'm referring to the toe adjustment. The car had -.62 degrees of toe in the rear after the drop. So if it wasn't aligned I would've chewed the tires in a few thousand miles. With about 10 or so extra psi in the tires, the inside wear isn't too bad. I ran 2 degrees of camber on the rear of my s2000 for years with even tire wear.
Old 05-05-14, 12:47 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

When I say aligned, I'm referring to the toe adjustment. The car had -.62 degrees of toe in the rear after the drop. So if it wasn't aligned I would've chewed the tires in a few thousand miles. With about 10 or so extra psi in the tires, the inside wear isn't too bad. I ran 2 degrees of camber on the rear of my s2000 for years with even tire wear.
My S2k (Tein CS) has negative camber as well and does not go through tires like my old IS did (Tein CS). That said, the S2k is about half the weight, so I wouldn't anticipate getting the same type of mileage on my GS' tires if it had similar specs. In fact my main reason for going springs only is the ability to get back into spec to minimize camber wear...having one side of the tire look brand new while the other side is bald, gets old real quick However, i sure do like the look coilovers give a car

Last edited by Dukeaudio; 05-09-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 07:48 AM
leirbag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
My S2k (Tein CS) has negative camber as well and does not go through tires like my old IS did (Tein CS). That said, the S2k is about half the weight, so I wouldn't anticipate getting the same type of mileage on my GS' tires if it had similar specs. In fact the main reason for going springs only is the ability to get back into spec to minimize camber wear...having one side of the tire look brand new while the other side is bald, gets old real quick However, i sure do like the look coilovers give a car
The s2k is about 2/3rd's the weight of the GS, but you're confusing mileage with uneven wear. While the GS is heavier, it lacks a clutch, and slick shifter. I don't enjoy beating up on the Lexus nearly as much as I did on the S. I don't know about you, but I don't drift with a slushomatic transmission. My traction controls never really been off to be honest.

I disagree with you on why you go with springs over coil overs. Camber is definitely not what I think most people are considering when deciding between the two. What they are considering IMO, cost! If you have a coil over setup, you can put the ride height any where you want. Static drop is quite the opposite. When I decided to go with a 2 inch drop with springs, I wasn't thinking about minimizing tire wear....
Old 05-09-14, 08:26 AM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

The s2k is about 2/3rd's the weight of the GS, but you're confusing mileage with uneven wear. While the GS is heavier, it lacks a clutch, and slick shifter. I don't enjoy beating up on the Lexus nearly as much as I did on the S. I don't know about you, but I don't drift with a slushomatic transmission. My traction controls never really been off to be honest.

I disagree with you on why you go with springs over coil overs. Camber is definitely not what I think most people are considering when deciding between the two. What they are considering IMO, cost! If you have a coil over setup, you can put the ride height any where you want. Static drop is quite the opposite. When I decided to go with a 2 inch drop with springs, I wasn't thinking about minimizing tire wear....
Good catch. What i meant to say was, 'MY' main reason...(i've edited original post) for springs is that they provide an aesthetic/functional drop while remaining w/in spec. An out-of-spec drop was not an option for me (for previously stated reasons). Also i agree, i think most folk's main reason for considering coilovers isn't tire wear, but the ability to fine tune a desired ride height.
Old 05-30-14, 12:20 PM
Jorran
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if anyone is looking for coilovers but i am getting rid of my RS-R coilover set. Need to get rid of them ASAP. PM if your interested.